secret to weight loss | Page 2 | FerrariChat

secret to weight loss

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rob lay, Apr 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Every IFBB-er is enhanced to the max; hence why they are dying at an alarming rate…. !
    Jeff knows his stuff for sure.
    Someone who’s both funny and knowledgeable is Greg Douchette. He was formerly enhanced by has seen the light now….

Scott98 likes this.
  2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    True, but Almonds are calorie bombs compared to lean meats. Besides, research has shown that it is extremely difficult (weight loss hack here!) for proteins to be converted into body fat. With fats and carbs that’s much, much easier. Meaning if you are starving, eat some more steak or chicken breast, you won’tr gain weight from it; yes even when calories increase!

Always better to rade in the Margarita’s for straight up whiskey or tequilla.

3. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    And has clearly been proven to be extremely, extremely unhealthy.

4. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I would never fast for more than 1 day at best. The negatives start to outweigh the positives very clearly. Dexa scans show that internal organs are compromised after such a fast.
    In reality, nothing magic happens after a long fast, you simply lose weight due to lack of calories.
    Hey, if it works, it works and congrats for sticking with it.
    But I wouldn’t make it into as long term plan.

Alcav5 likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes but I would pick them up small lots of 6. That will buy you an hour and you can do it 4 or 5 times per day for around 100 calories total.

6. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    True, but you would want to limit your calorie intake to 4-6 meals including snacks per day.
    We used to think it would be better to sppread our calories out as much as possible per day.
    Recent research has shown that you get more stable bloodsugar levels overall by keep some time between any kind of caloric intake versus a low caloric intake but with much higher frrequency. Meaning, if the time between meals is too long, simply eat 200 calories from ythe almonds versus 2 x 100ca;lories from the almonds.
    From a muscle building / muslce prserving perspective, you actually want bigger protein spikes in one occaision (meal) versus sipping on proytein shakes / meals throughout the day.
    It's the spike in Leucine that drives MTor signaling (muscle growth trigger) through a bigger meal. It needs to gup with sufficient protein (amiono acids) and come down afterwards.
    Sorrt if I'm overcomplicating things here...

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Intermittent fasting is a great approach. I have done 18/6 for years and its great.

Maximus1973 and Skidkid like this.
  8. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    And very easy to follow for the majority of users. Especially beginners that find it hard to stick toa certain diet.
    Or if you have a busy schedule; simply skip breakfast and you’re good to go.

Skidkid and MANDALAY like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's absolutely true.

10. Brian Show

Brian Show Rookie

Apr 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brian Show
    Don't stop eating, that's for sure! Stopping eating will decrease your metabolism and your fat won't loose its stored fat. What you can do immediately is to divide your meals into smaller ones. Frequent small feedings are best and this increases your metabolism. It worked wonders for me. Here is a good article on this issue https://betterme.world/articles/how-to-lose-2-pounds-a-day/ . Hope this helps

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't stop eating and I love the more European approach of more smaller meals. if with your exercise your daily calorie burn is 3,000, you will never lose weight if you are taking in 4,000 calories.

Skidkid likes this.
  12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Not entirely true. Our metabolism is very, very, very adaptive. Yes, your metabolism will drop during a diet and yes it will ramp up when you eat a large meal. However those changes are very temp. Once your big meal is digested, your metabolism drops down to your diet metabolism.
    Take away point is that how you overall eat is more important than quick fixes as “ eating a small bit to increase metabolism” .
    If you are dieting and are not hungry, then don’t eat. Try to eat when you are hungry and try to do it slooowly.
    And make beter food choices so you are never hungry.,

Skidkid likes this.
  13. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Actually, burning 3000 calories per day with exercise is damn near impossible. An intense bike ride or jogging and hour burns aprox 1000 calories.
    I would never advise someone on a diet to try and burn more than 1000 calories per day from exercise. You will burn up and feel like crap in 1-2 weeks.
    We automatically burn calories during the day with everything we do. Even when you are sleeping. That set point is different for us all.
    Simply adjust calories until you start loosing weight. If you continue to lose weight, don’t change. Results stop, simply eat a tiny bit less.
    That’s the easiest way to go about.

There is also a lot to say about not eat a large meal frequency. In fact research shows that most respond beter when eating 4-5 meals per day including snacks.. we though 10 years ago that you “ needed to keep eating to keep your metabolism running”. That has proven to be a myth.
    Not eating all the time and allowing insulin to come down is a much beter approach.

Majority of European eat 3 meals per day with snacks in between. I would make a strong, strong case to say that in Europe portions are nothing like in the US….!

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jesus, another ******* car guy that thinks he knows everything. It was an example about 3,000 calorie burn and 4,000 intake. It could have 2,000 and 3,000 the point is the same. The 1,000 difference is not the exercise but the excess calorie intake. Even so I burn 2,500-3,000 a day not even working out too much.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Sorry to sound like just a "**** car guy that thinks he knows everything".
    This direction happens to be my profession for the past 30+ years.
    Pharmaceutical en neutraceutical R&D.
    Merely trying to help here by keeping everything in laymans terms.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it is just pretty stupid to discount that eating 1,000 more calories than your intake isn't important to controlling weight.

also as personal example someone with a calorie burn more than 2,000 calories without any workout and then another 500-1,000 with workout.

17. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    This is getting out of hand… I never said or meant that.
    Calories always matter, please read all my posts above.
    I perhaps took your comment out of context but was trying to explain in layman’ s terms.
    You won.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  18. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I love these threads. Everyone is an expert! I wish people had to say what their current BF % is before posting. Go keyboard warriors go!

19. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I think it’s the main reason why experts drop out of forums.
    Back in the day when bodybuilding.com was the biggest forum on fitness in the world AND one of the top 10 most viewed forums in the world. Several ‘ famous’ old school bodybuilders also came on there to start a thread and help people out.
    I vividly remember Serge Nubret having to proof it was actually hi for the fist 100 pages or so!

The safety of typing a comment anonymously is just too alluring combined with the fact that some love to question everything without having reason for it, could be Forum’s downfall.
    Sometimes someone has more knowledge about you in fitness, gear boxes, car design, crypto, whatever. Deal with it.

Skidkid and willwork04 like this.
  20. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Well stated.

I feel like most posts here typed by people that can barely get to their keyboards.

Rob has it right. But down the ****ing fork. Is there nuance with it? This is thermodynamics, not rocket science.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is only one way to lose weight:

Take in fewer calories than your body uses every day.

Now, there are probably 1000 different ways to do that with various types of sacrifice but in the end, there is no magic bullet. You cannot eat anything and everything you want anytime and lose weight.

Once you get that through your head, it starts to get easier. Just pick the method and stick to it.

The "sticking to it" is the hard part.

Skidkid and Maximus1973 like this.
  22. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    True, the magic word here is 'moderation'. Every diet works that puts you in a caloric deficit.
    Simply eat less calories that you need.

Long term a new approach to food always works best to stick with it.
    Hunger and suffering should have no place in one's life (nor diet) unless we're talknoug about health threatening situations.

Or in layman's terms "put the fork down!"

TheMayor likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    exactly

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we see that first hand on FerrariChat, but many times they do it to themselves. they start out with an attitude that they know everything and everyone else knows nothing. In reality "experts" might know a lot, but not everything and other users know a little more than nothing.

25. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I have had good results in the past by tracking calories with the free version of the MyFitnessPal app on my phone. Lost about 30lbs over a few months last year just doing that and not drinking beer. I gained some of it back since because I got lax about using the app and reintroduced craft beer. Going to start back up with the app and drop the beer again.

Maximus1973, Skidkid and rob lay like this.