458 - Purchasing my first Ferrari…FINALLY!!! | FerrariChat

458 Purchasing my first Ferrari…FINALLY!!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2Fast2Fit, Jul 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    Like countless others, it’s always been my dream to own a Ferrari. It’s finally time to make the dream a reality and purchase my personal favorite car, the 458. Has anyone here purchased a car from Tactical Fleet? I haven’t been able to find out much information about them online. They have a car I’m interested in at their Dallas facility. I live in the Charlotte, NC area, in which they have a location there as well (haven’t visited yet, but will this week). My 10-year-old son has no idea, thinks I’m buying a Corvette. He will be so excited. Any feedback on Tactical Fleet or general pointers on purchasing a 458 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chizz, Enzo Belair, Loxo and 5 others like this.
  2. Boiler Inspector

Boiler Inspector Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I live in the DFW area. I can't speak about Tactical Fleet but I can recommend that there is an independent shop, Norwood Italia, and the dealer, Boardwalk, where you can have a PPI performed.

2Fast2Fit and blkdiablo33 like this.
  3. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    Congratulations on the Ferrari buying process it’s a special and exciting time
    Yes the 458 is mighty and won’t disappoint
    Id consider purchasing thru your local authorized Ferrari dealer too, it helps you build a relationship with Ferrari for future purchases - might give you an extra peace of mind in terms PPI, history of the car, etc

general pointers would be to ensure all services are completed and nothing is missed, irrespective of miles - (from 2012 onwards all models came with a 7-year maintenance plan by Ferrari)
    Tire conditions look at date of build
    Sticky buttons issues mainly around dash and surrounds
    Battery - great battery fixes most of the issues with this car
    If it is a spider check the roof and ensure it is operating without issues

there are many threads here on this and other associated concerns on a Ferrari 458.

generally speaking it is a solid car Ferrari’s finest

so good luck & enjoy and keep us updated on the final purchase

best of luck

4. Jacob Austin

Jacob Austin Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jake Austin
    I looked at a car there several months back. The online reviews seemed positive and the limited time I spent with the owner he seemed like a nice guy at least. He was the only one there at the time, and he told me to feel free to look at anything and hop inside, and to just grab him with questions. They have some beautiful cars.

Rembrandt, 2Fast2Fit and AD211 like this.
  5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Great choice, add me with the others suggesting PPI from a shop that knows Ferraris

2Fast2Fit and Shorn355 like this.
  6. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    The 458 is a mighty special car. If the maintenance records are up to date, you don’t have much to fear. I bought mine out of state and had a local dealer there do the annual. Kills two birds with one stone.

2Fast2Fit likes this.
  7. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    I don’t know the guys at TF and this is just my opinion. Buying from a non-factory dealer is often a crap shoot. I’d buy a certified car from an authorized Ferrari dealer and have that peace of mind. This is not to say that you can’t find a great car at a non factory dealer, but if you’re spending this kind of money you want the odds to be in your favor that you’re not getting in a bad situation. Buying a certified car with the extended 2 year warranty from a Ferrari dealer puts the odds in your favor. Again, my humble opinion not an indictment on TF.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Praecox, Rembrandt, 2Fast2Fit and 6 others like this.
  8. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Tactical Fleet was owned by an individual and is now a corporate store, I think Sonic, with multiple locations. If the car is in Dallas I too would have the car taken to Norwood which is maybe a couple miles north, or to Boardwalk Ferrari which is a few more mile on north for a PPI.

2Fast2Fit and AD211 like this.
  9. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    Thank you SO much for all the feedback thus far! I started to seriously look for a 458 a few months ago and have a specific list of features and color combination I want. I tried to jump on a car that Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro had, but someone beat me to it. I contacted the sales manager a couple times since to see if they expected any more that matched what I was looking for, never heard back. Ideally, I did want to purchase through an authorized dealer for the warranty and peace of mind, as mentioned. I did purchase the Buyers Guide by Hurlburt and have been reading the forum to learn about any common issues. This is a car I’m intending to keep indefinitely and will give to my son down the road, so want it to be just right. This is such an awesome community and can’t wait to hopefully be a real part of it in the near future. Any further feedback/comments are certainly welcome and appreciated.

10. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Congrats and welcome to the addiction! There is no cure (and that's a good thing)!

2Fast2Fit likes this.
  11. NinjaNuggett

NinjaNuggett Rookie

Jan 4, 2022
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Trung Nguyen
    2Fast2Fit likes this.
  12. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    Not officially in the club yet, but...hopefully VERY soon :) Ever since I test drove the 458, I've been obsessed with finding the right one. Primarily owning American muscle/sports cars, like the Viper, I couldn't believe the difference. The only European car I've previously owned has been the Jaguar F-Type. As much as I liked that car, there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever. I've been seriously missing out lol.

13. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    2Fast2Fit likes this.
  14. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    Yes, watched the video and found it helpful. That’s the guy who wrote the book I purchased as well.

In regards to specs, I’m looking for a coupe with Rosso Corsa exterior (solid top), Giallo Modena brakecalipers, two-tone diamond polished rims (I believe 25526), Scuderia shields. For options, backup camera is a must. I would like to also have navigation, front/rear parking sensors. Front axle lift would be a plus for sure.

I intend to keep the car indefinitely, so condition is a priority for me.

15. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    I’ve been in touch with Joe about that particular car. Cosmetically, it’s exactly I’m looking for, but didn’t have many options including backup camera. That is something I’d really like to have being that I’ll be keeping this car indefinitely. It’s certainly on my radar though, love the look of it.

16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You can always add the camera aftermarket and if you’re going to keep it, whether it’s OEM or not, shouldn’t matter too much. If you were to sell it you could reverse it back (no pun intended!) but I’m sure the next owner would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2Fast2Fit likes this.
  17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nothing really to add that others have not already stated or recommended. I am fortunate enough to own a 2014 458 Spider and absolutely love it. The car is fantastic in any setting and every time I see it, clean it, start it, drive it <repeat> I have to pinch myself that it is actually mine. Obviously as you know it is the last NA mid-engine Ferrari and the last designed by Pininfarina so additionally special and the last of a breed. FWIW I fully agree with the advice to buy from an authorized dealer if at all possible for the reasons mentioned - but if the perfect car comes along from a non-Ferrari dealer then just follow the advice provided with regard to solid maintenance records, PPI etc. and you should be fine - The cars are relatively bulletproof and problem-free by Ferrari/exotic standards.

A few little things to log in your "good to know" book in addition to the other excellent posts/advice provided if/when you obtain one:

> When starting the car make sure to wait until the beeping stops - then take a breath - then start the car - 458s are very picky about the startup sequence completing.

> During the PPI have them check the secondary air valves for carbon/junk - they have a tendency to clog up especially if the car is not run hard and can/will trigger a CEL - replacement is not a big deal or overly-costly but a proactive check might avoid an annoying CEL down the road.

> It is not uncommon when shutting the car off to see a "Electrical System Failure - Go To Dealer" message on the left TFT display - DO NOT PANIC - simply go through the normal startup procedure again and start the car - let it settle into idle and then shut it off again - 99% of the time the message will not appear - if it does repeatedly then have it checked out - As explained to me much like startup the car has a shutdown sequence as well and the slightest glitch with this sequence can trigger the message but it is nothing to be concerned about.

> Have the Dealer performing the PPI check the VIN to make sure the infamous "Brake Recall" has been completed - If it has the VIN looking will reflect it and there should be a page replaced/stickered over in the owners manual. If it has not been completed have it completed - it is free (Note - there is a LOT of drama around this with regard to it actually even being an issue and the effectiveness of the recall campaign/repairs - feel free to read it but don't get drug into all the mania - if it has been done your fine - if it has not then have it done - then just enjoy the damn car - should you lose brakes use the electronic emergency brake.

> If the car you obtain has the front lift option I advise not using this (either raising or lowering) when the wheels are at full lock - best to use it when the car is pointed forward or close and allowing it to complete (beep) and the green display in the upper right to be on before going over the bump or dip - same thing when/if manually lowering it - or just drive and let the system auto-lower it.

> Lastly <don't ask me how I know :)> if you get a Spider it is quite tempting and enjoyable to lower the rear window with the top up - sometimes not all the way but just enough to cycle air through the car and enjoy the sound of the engine even more - ****REMEMBER to put it up before leaving the car/washing the car/chance of rain etc..

Hope this helps - Excited for you - the search is half the fun - Post pics when you get one and obviously use the massive amount of expertise and experience - as well as comradery - on here to make the search and eventual ownership experience everything you imagine(d) it to be.

Cheers :)

Rembrandt, 2Fast2Fit and BDM348 like this.
  18. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina

19. BryanJTX

BryanJTX Rookie

Sep 8, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    bryanjtx
    I purchased my F430 spider from Tactical Fleet in Dallas earlier this year. I dealt with Cole (who now heads up Tactical Fleet in Beverly Hills) and it was a pleasure. Danny is the guy to deal with now. They just moved to a bigger and beautiful showroom a few miles away.

I came looking for a 600LT, tried the 488, 458 and finally settled on the F430 (for a weekend car with more old school mechanical experience). They were not pushy at all and let me decide on the vehicle. I test drove all the cars without even showing my driver's license. When making my final decision, they even let a friend and I take the car out without the sales person. I did a PPI through Norwood and Tactical set it all up. I'd buy from them again. Overall a very good experience.

Rembrandt and 2Fast2Fit like this.
  20. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed and insightful post. When I test drove a 458, they did go over with me the importance of the start up procedure. One of my biggest concerns prior to making the decision of purchasing one, was the glitches and potential problems, especially without a warranty. Initially I was going to order a new Z06, and my wife actually talked me into getting the Ferrari instead because she knew it was something I always wanted. I really had no idea what to expect when I posted on here but everyone has been so incredibly welcoming and helpful. I’ll certainly post pics when I find the right one and make a purchase. To me, condition is the most important thing. I’m just going to use it for weekend road trips through the mountains with my son, so won’t be putting a ton of wear and tear on it. Really hoping to find a car that has been immaculately kept. I’ll certainly go over all the suggestions you made as well. Your post was incredibly helpful, once again thank you.

21. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience. They’ve been great thus far, super responsive and very forthright. The car is in the process of a little cosmetic work which they were completely transparent about. I’ll see it through FaceTime when it’s finished. If I decide to purchase the car, I don’t know at this point in time, but the dealership and sales associate (Danny) have been incredibly helpful.

22. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I agree with you on condition and options. A lot of folks are understandably interested in buying from a dealer. I have bought from Ferrari dealers and I’ve bought from non-Ferrari dealers and frankly it all depends on the climate and your general manager. There are plenty of times when you scratch your head going I can’t believe they’re not going to cover this. And then I’ve had some non-dealers cover things that I never expected them to. If the dealer or non-dealer has a good reputation, that’s key, as is getting the car checked out, but there are also plenty of people who do everything they can and then something happens 30 days later or something. But with the condition being good and the options being there, you’re 90% of the way there with a car like a 458 because it doesn’t have that many issues.

2Fast2Fit likes this.
  23. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    If you plan to buy new Ferraris in the future I’d suggest buying from the local dealer. Start to build the relationship now, that way you can start to be on the dealers list of people.

If it’s going to be a one off purchase, find the right car and buy it as long as it’s been properly PPI’d and from a reputable place.

2Fast2Fit likes this.
  24. 2Fast2Fit

2Fast2Fit Karting

Jan 31, 2022
    North Carolina
    From what I’ve read, the car seems to be one of the more reliable exotics. I’ll certainly do my homework and try to find the best match in terms of what I’m looking for. This being my first Ferrari, I truly appreciate all the help.

430jm likes this.