the F40 is undervalued | Page 21 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    they sure made that underground garage look a helluva lot better than the last time i was there !

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  4. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    it means that Import duties have been paid (TVA and Import Tax). usually with this paper and the confirmation of the Insurance you can immatriculate a new car.

Not sure about this particulate F40 if you can road register (today) in switzerland... I doubt so.

roma1280 likes this.
  5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so tax is paid for switzerland at least.
    but given that it was never registered, you think they will not be able to register it now? even though it was an originally swiss delivered vehicle?

roma1280 likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You cannot automatically road register an F40 in Switzerland unless you have each car individually homologated.
    Swiss authorities never accepted the tall rear wing (plenty about this on fchat already). Each F40 had to be individually verified by Walo Schibler's Symbol Automobiles SA of Matran (near Fribourg), Switzerland. Used to be an official F dealer, no longer exists today.
    Now a new Swiss F40 homologation dealership is being determined (these days, right now) but hasn't been fully authorized yet by Swiss authorities. I will communicate name when authorities have agreed.

Marcel Massini

willcrook and roma1280 like this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Swiss delivery and Swiss registration are two totally different things and have nothing to do with each other.
    The car at Bonhams Gstaad was always driven/used with Swiss garage/dealer plates.
    Hence the Swiss import/tax form 13.20. That confirms that import tax has been paid.

Marcel Massini

roma1280 likes this.
  8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks. did not know those details

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think things may be moving up again....

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Based on what?

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    seems like every sale in the last few months keeps exceeding the previous result for that comparable car.
    so i guess the increases are steady rather than going to jump up.
    nevertheless, things feel perky

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sounds like 'musical chairs' to me...

Boomhauer and Marcel Massini like this.
  13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Boomhauer and Marcel Massini like this.
  14. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #514 PAUL500, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Problem is more new fools keep entering the market every time governments print more money, look how long this has been going on for now, it has to be spent on something!

These are the same cars that were struggling at times to sell for 10% of the current valuations not that long ago, once the next must have car came along, they have not got any better in the intervening years, even though I love them.

Hand on heart are there any current long term owners out there that would pay the latest prices to secure one?

15. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I see it this way. They trade at basically what other Ferrari Supercar series trade for and at the lower range because if build numbers perhaps. This next hypercar will be 600+ cars and most likely a V6 hybrid, configured like the Le Mans hypercar they will build.

On the premise this was Enzo’s last car, and has actual racing history attached to it, and that it is the rawest street car maybe ever, than these numbers are possibly just reverting to the mean in the series of cars? If your spending $4m on a La Ferrari then $3m on a really good F40 example doesn’t seem crazy at all and it seems like the markets decided the same. Who cares what they traded for in the past?

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    agreed.
    if you look at the total value of the F40's vs total value of the 288gto, or F50's or Enzo's etc , using the average value (which right now seems to be about $3 mil), then the F40 comes to nearly $4 billion, vs the others at their average values (which other posters will know more accurately than i do), i think F40's might exceed all of them.

side thought: with the earlier special cars now being valued higher than a LaF, i think the new iteration with a v6 hybrid will also eventually be valued less than the NA cars. just my opinion.

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    buying an f40 for $4m isn't foolish, not buying one at $400k was.
    :)

henryr likes this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    So, for an entire decade+ you had your choice of F40 for 400K...

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not really, i was 24 in 2000. no money.

22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    JTSE30 likes this.
  23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Hindsight is easy but cars never felt cheap to me. When I paid $350k for my first 288 GTO I was showered in ridicule. Told that a 288 had never traded for more than $300k and that $350k was over 10 times the price of a 308 which was basically the same car and the 288 was just an “ugly 308 on steroids” etc etc. At the same time I bought my first F40 (USA low miler) for around $300k, same reaction. One of my friends paid $125k for a 250 GTO in the early 70s, same thing, showered in ridicule, “you could buy a house for that” no GTO has ever traded over $100k etc etc… I was there and buying these cars at those prices, they did not feel cheap and it certainly wasn’t a no brainer.

plastique999, JAM1, mchas and 5 others like this.
  24. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what purchase are you currently getting ridiculed on?

mchas and JTSE30 like this.
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Somewhat follow up thoughts...do you feel an F40 or a 288 to be worth $3m/$4m? I know the market is the judge and they are worth that now..but as much as i love them, to me it's just crazy to think they have reached that much. $300k -$500k was a lot of money but still something that i could understand paying for these cars.

Maybe it's because i grew up with these cars value being way under $1m that i cant wrap my head around these prices.
    Of course, if one is worth half a billion, then who cares..but how much should one be worth to now pretend to buy one or 2 of the supercars..let alone all 5/6.

ChipG likes this.