New Product Development from Scuderia Audio | FerrariChat

New Product Development from Scuderia Audio

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SoftwareDrone, Jun 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The California is in dire need of a high quality subwoofer. I've been getting pounded with requests over the last few months to produce a subwoofer system with the same quality as my 360/430/458/488/F8/etc.

Well, I've decided to do one better. I will be offering a powered subwoofer system. The enclosure will have a pocket in the back that houses a small, high end 200 Watt subwoofer amplifier. Additionally, the system will come with a custom made wiring harness that plugs into your stock amplifier that allows you to add the subwoofer amp to your existing system without cutting or modifying a single wire. I already have the harness designed for the California with the base stereo system and will hopefully have the hi-fi harness design completed in a couple of weeks. All you do is set the subwoofer into place, unplug your stock harness from your stock amp, plug your stock harness into my harness and, in turn, plug my harness into your amp, then plug the other end of my harness into the box (one plug). Attached is an image of the Auto CAD rendering of the enclosure design. The wood pieces for the first prototype are already being machined and should be here in a couple of days. Watch this thread for updates.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Milpitas, California (Northern California)
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    Totally awesome!:eek::eek:Can’t wait to rock this subwoofer in my California!Kudos Mike for building this much needed subwoofer for the Ferrari California!;):)

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm at the airport, waiting to board a flight to Missouri to work on a Maserati. Here are some snapshots of the wood pieces that will make up the California subwoofer.
    The 458 Italia enclosure is my best sounding box (because it has the most airspace) and this box will have even more volume.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gregwang likes this.
  4. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    Looks awesome! Can’t wait to see the finished product! Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My plan was to complete the enclosure yesterday after work but I got distracted. Definitely this evening. It should be unit tested and ready for a test fitting by Friday.

colorfull, gregwang and bb2thdr like this.
  7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry for the delay. The first prototype system is complete.
    I had to make a half inch shim to account for the raised areas on the floor. I will continue to make the shim piece separate and fasten it to the completed enclosure as it is much easier to manufacture.

This setup couldn't be simpler. Unplug the car harness from the amp and put this harness between the two. Then plug two RCAs and one power plug into the amp and DONE. If you need to go on a trip and need the space, unplug the two plugs and lift the subwoofer out of the car.

There will be an optional product which consists of only the amplifier and the harness for anyone who has their own subwoofer and just needs the power. I unit tested the sub and it sounds fantastic.
    I ordered a yard of two different shades of medium gray colored felt to see if I can match the California interior. The backup plan is to wrap the enclosure in black felt (like my 360 trunk glove box).
    These will be going up on my website for $1999.00 complete for the California with the base stereo, $2199.00 for the JBL Premium stereo cars (as the connectors for that amp are WAY expensive). PM me for special Ferrari Chat pricing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Willl, Dmartin, Randy R and 1 other person like this.
  8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Forgive me as I should have been more clear.

California T
    Base system: The harness shown above (the "add an amp" system) is for this setup.
    Hi-fi system: I am working on the add an amp system for the hi-fi setup but it is not yet complete.

California (non T)
    Base system: This system has no amplifier so it would be better to add an amplifier capable of powering all of the speakers including the new subwoofer. I have this covered, including a 100% plug and play harness that plugs into the back of the NIT.
    Hi-fi system: This system has an amplifier so we can do the "add an amp" solution shown above except that the harness is different. I am close to having a solution for this setup.

gregwang likes this.
  9. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If anyone has done this for a California with the base system, I would appreciate any details and photos.

10. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Joe, the job is pretty easy. The only trick is running a cable to the trunk which isnt that tough.

11. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    #12 gregwang, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Update: Finally had this Scuderia Audio custom designed and built subwoofer enclosure that houses the 8 inch JL Audio subwoofer and its own Mosconi atomo2 210 watt mini amp mounted in the back of this enclosure wrapped in Ferrari leather and red stitching to match my interior installed in my Ferrari California, and I couldn’t believe my ears how clean and clear this heart pounding yet not obnoxiously loud subwoofer sounded!Now the sound system in my Ferrari California rivals the sound system in my home theatre!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login And thanks to Mike at Scuderia Audio for recommending the 400 watt Mosconi Pico 6/8 DSP amplifier that mounts right on the bracket in the trunk where Ferrari normally mount their Hi-Fi amplifier.

Kudos to Mike Niday for designing and building this much needed subwoofer enclosure for the Ferrari California and California T that sits tight and flush in the pass through slot between the back seat and the trunk that fits like a glove!!!

https://scuderiaaudio.com/product/california-power/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

colorfull, Randy R and anunakki like this.
  12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Did I understand correctly, the amp sits just in front of the battery charge port? I checked my car, and I didn't see any factory installed amp in that area. Is there a way to know what factory radio came with the car?

13. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Depending on your model, year, and if you have the HiFi option, you may not have an amp. I believe the Original Cali without the HiFi option does not have an amplifier. The Head unit is the amp.

gregwang likes this.
  14. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    My Cali was not spec’d with the Hi-Fi option, and the factory head unit from a Chrysler has a small built in amp in it. And so it sounds like your Cali does not have the Hi-Fi option, because if it does there would be an amp attached to the bracket behind the battery tender charging port.

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FYI I'm working on a new subwoofer design that is identical to this one except the amplifier is not exposed. The amp will be mounted inside the enclosure. There will be one quick connect/disconnect harness that plugs into the side of the box.

gregwang likes this.
  16. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    You’re absolutely correct Brother. My Audio Installer confirmed that for the Cali without the HiFi option there is a small pre-amp that’s built into the Factory head unit. And there is no amp mounted on the bracket behind the battery tender charging port in the trunk where the Hi-Fi amp is normally mounted had you purchased the HiFi option from Ferrari when the car was built.

17. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    When I looked at the mounting location in my car, there appeared to be a plug which was not connected to anything, and I think this must be a connection for the factory optioned hi fi system. And checked with the dealer, car did not have a high spec radio when it sold new.

18. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Take a picture of the connector and let us see. It i possible because Ferrari apparently changed things on the fly when it came to their line production.

19. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Here are two photos, not sure if the mounting bracket is shown. The plug on the second shot has the wires coming out the back and it seems to be taped to the bracket.

Attached Files:

20. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    The plug on the second pic with the wires is for Canbus B. It is the terminal end resistor for that canbus line. Don't play with them otherwise you will see tons of errors on the airbags, parking sensors, possibly the hard top too. Green / White wire is Can B low, Black /white is Canbus B high.

I repeat, Do not play with it unless you have experience snooping Canbus.

21. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Thanks, I don't plan to touch anything.

22. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Is this the bracket for mounting the amp and does it improve the factory standard sound?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Yes that bracket holds the amp and on the other side I believe it holds other ecu's. It has nothing to do with improving sound, just prevents anything from getting loose and causing damage.

24. gregwang

gregwang Rookie

Oct 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Greg Wang
    I’ve found the biggest night and day improvement of sound comes from replacing the 6 Factory speakers in the doors and rear panel with the 8 Focal component speakers that I bought from Scuderia Audio.

https://scuderiaaudio.com/product/california-super-system-upgrade/

And adding the 400 watt Mosconi Pico 6/8 DSP amplifier (Mounted on that bracket behind the battery tender charging port) to drive those 8 speakers just took the sound to a whole new level of awesome sound!️