1981 Ferrari 512 BB Chassis 33625 | FerrariChat

1981 Ferrari 512 BB Chassis 33625

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Jun 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding doc to chassis 33625 that "375+" pointed to within the following thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512-bb-on-bat.661583/

My apologies for creating another thread on this car, but thought it might be best to title the thread based upon the car's chassis number so as to make it easier for future searchers of this car's information.

The BaT BB is chassis 33625.

33625 looked to be owned by one of out members:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/delivery-pics-365bb-17947.459776/#post-143354384

I also found a reference to 33625 being sold in 2006 by Sheehan:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/365bb-vs-512bb.118957/#post-136032573

However, the link is now stale.

Cheers,

Sam

1981 Ferrari 512 BB
    Color: Red Exterior with Boxer trim (gloss) with Black Interior
    Mileage: 26479 (?)
    Chassis: 33625

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Shame about the Plymouth Volare side marker lights.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

There were some that have been pushing the idea that these market lights were done at the factory... despite no evidence of this. Secondly, the speedo is in MPH which I have only seen on cars imported into the US. You would know more on both of these items.

There is also some type of jamb plates on both doors that are seen within the pics, but no close ups of them. This is too bad, as these plates may provide additional info on the above and perhaps other items.

Cheers,

Sam

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Adding more info.

[post taken from seller within BaT Auction Comments]
    Car is now listed on the seller's website:

https://ferraris-online.com/cars/1981-ferrari-512-bb-33625/

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They never came with the rectangle side lights ever. The speedo is most likely an overlay on the original face and the odometer would read kms. Would need to drive it and observe how quickly the distance accumulated.

6. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Anyone else noticed the 81’BB on BAT? Only 1 day left. Currently at $200K.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Looks like it will need some work to make it a good one.

Newman and samsaprunoff like this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    please post a link, much easier for all to find

9. Giallo_f355gts

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    what kind of work would it need besides what they already have done?

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Well, for starters... the seller states that the tires need replacing because they are old (new tires are about $1900 or so) and a a floor mat (original one is missing and so there is just the bare floor showing). Personally, I find this a bit odd, as why would the seller not do both of this items, unless they simply wanted to minimize the $ they or the owner has into the car. If this is the case then I would wonder what other things may be required.

To really assess where the car is at, a thorough PPI done by someone very knowledgeable about Boxers. Looking at the services done and the hours billed, I am not convinced that the shop was experienced with working on carbed Boxers. I say this, as I service my own BB and so I am well aware of the time required for the various services and what was billed truly amazed me and at times done almost twice. That said, the pictures do show old and cracking suspension bushings and so these will be needing attention soon. Given the suspension bushings, most likely the shocks as well. Although the shocks may not show signs of leaking, internally there are rubber seals that break down and become mush over time which plugs up the various shock valves. I did not realize how bad this issue can be until I opened my shocks up and found all of valves were either completely or mostly plugged... this certainly explained why the shocks were not working as they should.

Although the seller seems to play down potential issues with CA registration, a CA buyer would really need an expert and someone truly familiar with the CA certification process in order to tell them if it is possible and if so at what cost. I remember a past thread where a 400i CA buyer tried everything he could and in the end he was forced to sell the car out of State, as the requirements were unwieldy and would ultimately be very expensive with no guarantee of CA approval. This was despite the fact that the car met the exhaust emission standards at the time.

Cheers,

Sam

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think until now that if a car is older than 30 years it may not need the CA regulations?

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Romano,

Sadly, that is not the case. CA has a fixed year for old cars. Cars 1975 or older are typically exempt from their emission standards. 1976 and newer have to comply... which can be very challenging for cars that were not CA compliant from the Factory... which the BB's were never designed to meet.

Cheers,

Sam

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Chassis 33625 on BaT today for $235K USD

Cheers,

Sam

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for this info sam :) always learning here more and more. have not known this

what about if you will move from another state to CA and have the car you long time registered in your name in this other state. is there an exception then?

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Romano,

I am not an expert on all of this, however, from what I have read, the State of CA is strict with their rules and so no exceptions if owned elsewhere. That said, if the car was originally brought into CA a long time ago and CA issued a "BAR" (Bureau of Automotive Repair) label, then there would be hope for CA Registration with perhaps a reasonable amount of work. However, if the car was not factory certified for CA (which none of the BB or BBi's were) and there is no record of a BAR sticker for the car, then the time, effort, and cost to obtain CA registration now would be a lot with no guarantee of success. This is the reason that those in CA tend to try and purchase cars that were made in 1975 or older. So, the 1975 365BB's would be possible to be CA certified. As I mentioned it would be best for perspective CA buyers to do their due diligence on 1976 and newer BB's (or BBi's) before buying a car without the BAR label... otherwise they may have a lot of work and $ ahead of them.

Cheers,

Sam

turbo-joe and George Vosburgh like this.
  17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sheehan has had this car for a while. This is a VERY reasonable price.

18. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Not great price. Unless one does not want to make it really nice and spend what it takes to redo it to proper quality, upholstery worn, suspension bushing,etc there. Paint is not really great? Removing the side lights is costly to make it original too. Has to be higher miles car or not cared for to have the carpet worn through? think it actually brought high $$ for what it is.
    John