f430 transmission issues | Page 2 | FerrariChat

f430 transmission issues

Discussion in '360/430' started by 1958bret, Jun 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Bret,

I have the exact same issue as you right now on my 430, everything works fine until it gets warm, then when slowing down it drops into neutral until car is cooled off, but then skips gears 3 to 5 for example.

I was told $5500 to send the accumulator and actuator off to GTE for rebuild from my techs as it was "loosing pressure" was their diagnosis, also was told that I have F1 fluid in the engine or gear box, but called two different independent Ferrari shops and was told the same thing by both, that they think air is in the system since it was just serviced in March and did not give any issues before hand and to remove the accumulator to check the bleed screws as they are known for backing out. Waiting on computer and oil to be delivered on Thursday for the bleed procedure.

2. f1canada

f1canada Rookie

Sep 11, 2016
    Montreal, Canada
    Hello Bret1958,
    I was wondering, did you find the issue finnaly with your car.
    I have the exact same issue. Iam being told to replace the complete system also and, no ne can find the problem.
    They also had me change the accumulator ball and, I am still getting stuck after 30 minutes or so, like yours.
    Did they ever find the problem?
    Here they are saying full system or, syncro gears in the transmission.

Please let me know. It has been 3 months now that I cannot drive the car.
    Thanks!

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    $2500 for new accumulator- about $500 for the part and 2 hours max time. Robbery

brogenville likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Try bleeding using the bleed screw of the valve block behind the header tank. 8 mm 1/4 inch drive socket. You can do no harm as oil will dump back to header tank removing any air

5. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    MY F430 is doing the same thing shifting out of gear when slowing down. turning car off for 15 seconds then start works ok. So far only does it when AC is on which shouldn't have anything to do with it but ambient temp is above 75F.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i converted to manual. problem solved!
    :)

cavlino likes this.
  7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Not exactly. My MT 430 has had unresolved gearbox issues for 6-7 years, maybe more ... Still not corrected after $20K and over countless visits, 2 different mechanics and minimum 6 months of shop time . Searching for mechanic #3 now..

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Which shops?

9. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    I have the same issue with my 430 shifts into N when slowing to stop and will only shift after turning car off and waiting 20 seconds then restart and it will shift into 1st. I have a Maserati with the same system for 8 years that has never had the problem Would love to hear if someone finds the actual solution.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eight years ago. Sure hope so or he had a very expensive lawn decoration.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have you tried cracking open the bleed screw on the F1 solenoid block, it bleeds fluid from the pressure side back to the tank return line. If any air it will return it to the tank. Can be reached from the hatch for the f1 tank or easier to take the rear wheel liner out. It is a long hex nut 8 mm socket size with a screwdriver slot on the top.
    Crack it until pump cuts in, then shut and repeat.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Flyboy

Every issues has to handled separately since even though they sound the same most of the time they are not
    I am more than willing to help you in a phone call if you like ..let me know

Your issues is probably (since i haven't spoken to you )

Accumulator
    A true bleed
    Leaking solenoid
    Loose screws
    Bad sensors

No specific order..

The phone call and a diag tool can eliminate some of the above

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

AHudson and ditpixs like this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Anybody who says they need to replace the entire system to fix the problem..has zero business under the hood of that car. Some of the horror stories I read on here are disgusting.

What are the faults being generated when it is scanned? Is "incorrect gear selection" one of them? Does the gear indicator flash when the problem occurs, or does the gearbox error light show ( the gearbox error light usually indicates a hydraulic issue..flashing gear indicator usually points to a selection problem)

cavlino, Flyingbrick242 and ditpixs like this.
  14. AndrewPiper288

Jul 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Andrew Piper
    2nd that - when i owned mine same issue same resolution - only lasted another year before it needed another one - ended up selling it.

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I think my transmission is a lemon. 2nd mechanic completely disassembled,cleaned , inspected ..everything. It helped a bit... but then went back to hell in no time. I guess one day I'll get around to fixing it or burning it...

16. domo72

domo72 Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    ditetro davis
    Hello members ,
    Owner of a 2008 Ferrari F430. Car wont shift past 2nd gear both auto and paddle. Also F1 gearbox light came on suddenly. Had actuator rebuilt in 2017 and accumulator replaced in 2020. Any suggestions what the issue might be before i bring to a mechanic or Ferrari dealer.. thanks

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have helped a number of people on here this year ..each occurrence and problem is different. I also found that the best use of everyones time is a phone call or two to give you some guidance / possible issues. I do this out of a passion for the brand and have become very familiar with the f1 system etc

If you like I will be happy to talk ..send me a PM and i will respond accordingly

cavlino, AHudson, domo72 and 2 others like this.
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    One thing I suggest to everyone with a f430 ..get a good diag tool (minimum a old version of a ap200(white ) or a thinkdiag..this is money well spent

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    4 normal failure points on the f1 system.

1. Worn clutch
    2. Shift potentiometers
    3. Accumulator
    4. Pump motor.

Never have I seen a complete system failure..it's basicly impossible. Internal leakage is rare..other then the ediff solenoid. The system is very basic.

cavlino, domo72 and flash32 like this.
  20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would add a clutch EV solenoid and loose screws

tbakowsky likes this.
  21. f1canada

f1canada Rookie

Sep 11, 2016
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi!
    No code generated, no flashing...Just goes on neutral and cant shift any gears anymore. after 15 minutes, I can gear back and drive again...until the next day if I take it again.
    This is what is weird...

22. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    I’ve had the same problem like everyone else mentioned. I replaced f1 pump didn’t solve it. Then replaced accumulator since I read somewhere it said after 10 years it’s going bad or loosening the air precharged something like that. Removed the f1 actuation and checked the bleed screws were tight not loose. Each part removed and replaced had did the airbleed and problems still persisted. Drove fine first 20 minutes or so til warm then slowdown to a stoplights it threw in itself into neutral and wouldn’t shift in any gear and then have to wait til it cool down before it run again.
    Here what I’ve done to get my f430 back running again. I used x431 diagtool to bleed air from actuator, ediff and clutch drain. Test drove mostly on hwy shifted thru all gears for an hour or so to temp up then performed the selflearn and that’s it. So far so good now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    We already tried that and fifth gear was being missed..we did the relearn cold again

Although that worked for you and was hoping that it would have worked ( my thoughts last week and part of the on going diagnosis) for @f1canada it is just IMHO covering up another issue ..e.g. actuator sensors pentoimetes going bad or bad or even worse an actuator going (less likely)

24. domo72

domo72 Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    ditetro davis
    Thanks for reply, my car will be going to dealer Friday morning. I'm new at this how do i pm just incase i need advice?

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I sent you a PM. .look for it under conversations and reply whenever you need me