Laguna Seca 1st Timer Questions | FerrariChat

Laguna Seca 1st Timer Questions

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by LouB, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    East coast track guy need some help. Am shipping my 360 spider/tubi out for the FCA national meet. A few questions about regulations at the track.

1. Assume a 360 spider is no problem. Right? Have run it up and down the east coast tracks in blue group without any issues (passes broom stick test ie. helmet below broomstick on windshield and roll hoop).

2. FCA FAQ's state, no glycol based coolents, must be water. Is this checked at the track?

3. 103db max noise level checked between turns 5&6. Will a 360 with tubi have any trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Lou B

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    I seem to recall LS has a 90 db limit.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LouB,

I'll be helping to tech cars for FCA at Laguna so remind me of this thread later when I get the tech rules from FCA. They are yet to be fully formulated. But in general if you use water vs antifreeze just add in redline water wetter to the water. That will give you the cool you need but easy cleanup for track spills. Sound for FCA is 103db for other groups and other times it varies for example it will be 92db for Alfa club in March. Sound is measured 50ft from the track. You can buy a radioshack sound meter # 33-2050 for about $40 and it will get you in the ballpark. My guess is that with a stock exhaust and tubi you will probably be fine. It you ditch your cats for test pipes you might have a problem. I know my 348 is twice as loud with straight exhaust and no cats than with cats. Do you have a place to store your car or are you going to drive it around while you are in town for the week?

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    IOW, if you have a normal mix of water and antifreeze, then you need to have that drained and straight water put in. But you would be permitted to add a little water wetter to the water.

True?

5. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    "Do you have a place to store your car or are you going to drive it around while you are in town for the week?"

Intercity dropping off and picking up the car at the track. Was going to park it at the Doubletree hotel at night. Is there a better option? Is there safe track storage? Will also have a Hertz rental.

6. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Lou, hope you're able to pull this off. Laguna Seca is a GREAT track... I took the Russel Racing School there several yrs ago before they moved to Sears. Enjoy the corkscrew!!!!

7. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    You can keep it at my place. I'll sleep in it overnight to be sure nobody messes with it. :)

8. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have parked a 360 at the double tree several times without any issue. I used the upper parking area but I understand that a $20 tip will likely allow you to park the car right in front of the hotel.

I doubt a 360 with a Tubi will have any problem. You are likely around 94 as far as the Laguna metter is concerned.

ACW

9. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Thanks for all the help

Lou B

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I've been to Laguna Seca with both Ferrari Club and NCRC in my 360/Tubi and at high RPM coming into turn 6, no problem with the dB meter. Last time I was there with NCRC it was limited to 92dB. Have fun!

Cheers.

11. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    LouB, you can park your car at my house if you want. I live a couple of miles from the Laguna Seca track. My garage will be full, but you are welcome to park it in my driveway.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

13. joe650

joe650 Rookie

May 8, 2004
    I use a water wetter product additive that acts to cool much better than plain old water. You can get this from BAD 650-593-5040 ask for Mike (a racer himself and a local redline dealer). If you tell him Joe Della Santina sent you, he will probably hook you up cheap.