F355 Market | Page 386 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Absolutely is :).

We need comparables. There's a pecking order. If that 328 brings $400k for whatever reason, then we know something is wrong in 355 market :).

4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nawh…. We just know I ain’t wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    BaT definitely know what they are doing, and actually they accept higher reserves than they should, i've sold near 30 cars there, and customer service + overall experience is top notch the greedy sellers are usually the ones that end up RNM ..and i am yet to understand how $210K for a 355GTS that was just a $90K car a year and a half ago is bad...not that i'd even sell mine for that right away, but i'm realistic and know broad real market thats a good price...could it have fetched more, of course, but it didn't and it sold and all parties must be "satisfied" if the deal happened.

6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I am glad they work well for you. You have a special - dare I say, an insider relationship. Fine, no problem. But that is not the norm for most individuals.

I do take issue with the term greedy. The Auction business is a racket. I don’t see auctions failing in general. BJ, BaT, C&an, RM, Mecum et all, make out pretty darn well. It is a brotherhood. They all compete and appeal to different people, but if you go to them regularly, you see the same faces, the same buyers and sellers. They give hook-ups, discounts and people participate in manipulation, at all the venues. The sellers, the owners of the car, are never greedy. Why must they sell it for what someone thinks it is worth? They should be able to set the reserve and the Auction should live with the results. Maybe they just have listing fees only. Get lucky every now and then with a sale or two…… ahh, but they need sales, to drive the machine! They need to prove their worth, their market share, they are the ones getting rich off the vehicle owner. I see the auctions as being greedy.

Just me. You see it differently. Ok, no problem…..but you have sold 30 cars there. Most of us do not do that. The individual with a special car gets treated poorly. The guys with the special relationship, have special privileges….

7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    They are a business, they can't allow BS dreamer reservers to be posted all the time, then have many no sales, it would kill the integrity of the auction and the business. If someone lists a car on BaT they need to be reasonable and ready to sell the car even if they aren't getting and milking every penny out of it..thats just my opinion.

jgriff, JSinNOLA and Targatime like this.
  8. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My new business. BS Dreamer Auctions. Thanks!

Bring a Trailer was just a site for guys to share cars and leads. Then they got in the auction game and somehow, what they say or do is biblical. Yet, we never know if sales actually happen. We never know if money changes hands. I am pretty sure there are cases of deals not closing. They get the fee, but who knows?

I mean, they make way more money then me. Good for them. But don’t tell me what my car is worth

Wsmatau likes this.
  9. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ohhh and I am a complete hypocrite because I am on there everyday.

IvanRico and Tarek307 like this.
  10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    @carnutdallas look, lets just resolve our different point of views and you sell me your car for $90,000 instead of the $500K i mean you probably paid less, plus you used it..deal? perfecto...send me wire info ;) hahaha

carnutdallas likes this.
  11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've sold 4 cars on BAT, nothing expensive. Had several we didn't agree on reserve (where I instantly sold a couple for more than double what they wanted to set reserve at on ebay).

No hard feelings, either we agree or we don't but I'll continue to submit cars to them.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I have a solution.

Seller wants to set reserve, seller pays the listing fee ($2500-5k). Car goes above reserve, buyer pays the fee.

Problem solved.

carnutdallas likes this.
  13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You are spot on! That is what BJ does. It is all no reserve everything sells, but in reality they sell the car back to owner and he pays the fee. They get their gimmick and 100% sale rate and the owner pays if he does not get his money.

Closingtime likes this.
  14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thats crazy i never knew this about BJ..so really quoting their sales and values is worthless if anything sells even to the seller lol

15. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That is my understanding and experience. I have witnessed it first hand. Is 100% the case all the time? Would it be denied? But I have been there and watched it happen. I have successful collector car buddies who have validated it to me. It would never be admitted to publicly.

16. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the GTS was the least popular version back when new (based on production numbers) but the most popular version today (based on sales price numbers)?

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not sure if it is...most people i speak to continuously want the GTB, the GTS makes more squeaks/noises than my lanica detla

phrogs, EFerrari34, Philipnz and 2 others like this.
  18. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ahhh….no. Spider does. GTB is too stiff and cracks apart

But seriously, not that noisy. It depends and a few factors. GTB is quieter, but also harder to hear glorious engine noises. You only notice a little noise at low speed. When driving hard, it is a non-factor. GTB to GTS on track, GTB all the time. You know all this, just sharing with the non-owners :)

19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I’ve heard that (no pun intended). Even though I own a Spider I actually prefer the GTS, because it’s like a GTB and Spider rolled into one.

Closingtime, carnutdallas and Wsmatau like this.
  20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    [email protected] likes this.
  21. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    There is a lot of bias from older vehicles where a convertible frame just wasn't very rigid. Some of that was resolved (or at least greatly improved) in the 355 and has been almost completely resolved by modern manufacturing techniques and technology.

As an outsider looking in, I would want the GTS largely because it represents the "best of both worlds" by keeping the lines of the berlinetta while still offering an open air experience. It also approximates the lines of the wildy popular 308/328 GTS but has significantly upgraded mechanics that can keep up with its good looks. IMHO the spider loses some of the body lines that make the 355 so appealing.
    As it was originally marketed, the F355 can be all things to all buyers. The Spider is a top down cruiser. The GTB is an all out sportscar for people that try to approach the limits, and the GTS is a gorgeous hybrid of the two.

IvanRico, Suffyk and carnutdallas like this.
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep, and then you have all the Berlinetta-er's arguing about which muffler sounds better while they drive around with the windows up and the AC cranked to max. :D

Suffyk and carnutdallas like this.
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This I actually agree with. B= track car, Spider = touring. If the choice comes down to GTB or GTS, I'll go GTB, as I did with my 308.

24. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    355dreamer likes this.
  25. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    My spider is as quiet as a churchmouse and that is on our "somewhat" uneven road surfaces here in NE. My corvette convertible is noisey with the top up and quiet when down.