458 - Dash repair project - fingers crossed. | FerrariChat

458 Dash repair project - fingers crossed.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Spider2013, Jul 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    #1 458Spider2013, Jul 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    OK fellas I'm going to take one for the team to see if there is a DIY method for repairing heat shrinkage issues on our dashes.

I was just quoted $3k locally to r/r the dash and recover using Connolly black leather with the oem yellow stitching. And get this...they need my car for two weeks - I have the option of providing them the bezel alone (quoted $800 elsewhere to remove the dash pieces and the upholstery shop only wants to credit me $100 towards the job if you can believe that.)

Therefore...

My plan, since the damage seems quite minimal to my eye...

1: Thoroughly spray the shrunken leather area with leather stretch spray.
    2: Clamp shrunken area with wide vice grips
    3: Use a bungee cord to provide tension to the leather for 24 hours pulling the vice grip.
    4: Glue the leather back over the dash
    5: Thoroughly condition the dash with saddle butter to prevent the dash from drying in the future.

The idea was given to me from a retired upholstery guy who seems to think a few hours of TLC can easily fix the issue after I sent him pics of the problem.

I figure it's well worth a shot given the quoted repair job consists of new leather anyways. So what the hell, right?

These are the materials and tool I just ordered through Amazon...Came to under $60.

I will document the process step by step in an attempt to help others facing this common dilemma. Hopefully I can contribute something back to this forum that has been such a valuable resource to me over the years.

No promises but WML!

If anyone would like to chime in with any advice that I may not have thought about feel free to add.

See here on the left side of the speedo bezel, the pulling back of the leather...Ironically the window vent bezel strip, the leather only seems to need glueing. There seems to be enough leather material to cover the strip without any pulling.

Attached Files:

2. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    I feel your pain, I had the long leather strip along the lower windshield replace. It took 1 month, the entire dash board was removed.. I had the Ferrari dealer do the work as it was covered by the factory.

Recently, I had the bezel replaced, I ordered a new factory piece. Again, my Ferrari dealer did the work..

I’m very happy how all turned out… It’s a shame how the leather wrinkled. Make sure you use a good sun shade while parked in the hot Sun..

Good luck to you and send some pictures..

Ray

458Spider2013 likes this.
  3. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    Actually that’s a good point. What sun shade are we using for 458? Is there one that contours our dash well?

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I think this may be fighting a losing battle. I would just replace the leather and get it done right. If you do this you'll have a bunch of time/money into it and it won't look right and in a year's time (or less) it will shrink again and then you'll end up paying the $3k anyway.

5. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    I will look to see what brand the Sun shade is and advise you. I got mine from the Ferrari dealer as a gift…. However, very rarely do I park the car in the Sun. It’s garaged 100%..

Ray

6. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    Perhaps. I can gamble away an hour and $50 to give it a shot. Its a no risk proposal. The leather is missing its mark by a half inch at the most.

Columbus "discovered" America by accident looking for Indian spices. Have some faith.

iMrMark and SDSferrari like this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    well an hour and $50 aint bad at all. keep us posted

8. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    458Spider2013 likes this.
  9. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    If you plan on keep your Prancing Horse, pay the price to have the repair performed correctly.

I paid more than your estimate and have never regretted the outcome.

Butter / glue / clamps are only a temporary solution. To repair this issue correctly requires THE ENTIRE DASHBOARD TO BE REMOVED.

The above is my observation based on factual outcome.

tfos750 and Cigarzman like this.
  10. 328Stuts

328Stuts Karting

Aug 17, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I literally just did this same project not two weeks ago, long story short, upholstery shop did it, and pulling the windshield to do it made it infinitely easier… it ran just over 2k but it was done properly and a small price to pay to no have to look at it anymore…

This particular piece is not really a diy in my opinion

11. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Any pics? I have the exact same issue with the exact same dash section. I also have a windshield that needs replacing. It seems logical that repairing that part of the dash with the windshield out workday be very easy. I take it that is the case? Any unseen or hidden variables I need to know about?

12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  13. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Sorry don’t remember. It was a custom order. John can quote you. Everyone that sees it seems to approve.

14. 328Stuts

328Stuts Karting

Aug 17, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didnt do the work myself, so I dont have pics of it, my upholstery shop did, but it was the back corner bolts (closest to the windshield) he said there is no way to get them out without pulling the glass...
    At least in his opinion, and he tried...
    I ended up replacing the windshield from Ferrari it was just a hair over 5k, just for the glass, and a local installer put it in, which coincidentally, is exactly what Ferrari dealerships do. (i had enough chips and small cracks I deemed it worthwhile)

15. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    To clarify, by pulling the glass the entire strip could be removed, the leather repaired, and the section reinstalled?
    If so that is good news as I need a new windshield as well this leather part repaired (one chip plus some other minor imperfections)

16. 328Stuts

328Stuts Karting

Aug 17, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes absolutely once the glass was out the upholstery repair took less than an hour…

Mine had lifted across the whole seam where the glass meets the dash.. and while you couldn’t see it looking in, it was in my direct line of sight looking over the dashboard and drove me nuts.

So it had to be fixed.

i can snap some pics tomorrow when I am in front of the car for reference if you like, but yes that’s the part that needs the glass pulled
    He had the whole dash apart to begin with and the only way was to pull the glass

17. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    thank you
    Good info

18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Awesome!

Do you have more photos from other angles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason