458 - Rear Shocks Replacment | FerrariChat

458 Rear Shocks Replacment

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Patek, Jul 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just found out I need a front Wheel Bearing Kit for $5,400 was quote from Dealership, and yesterday they said the rear shocks were leaking and messed up, with a quote for $9,500 on the 2 rear shocks. Is this about normal price, I found some on scuderiacarparts.com for $2,221.89. Seems like a massive gap.
    anyone deal with rear shocks. Funny part is, I went in for a new cap for the brake fluid container, and now looking at $16,000 plus. Reminds me of the old 55o, it was a lot to keep up every time. I was just telling someone last month the 458 is just so cheap to run, maybe $1,400 a year, and it was dependable like a Camry. But ..... when it goes south get ready to pay up to play.
    thanks,
    John

2. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

I got lucky with the rear shock concern. Before I bought the 2015 SA last October, the Ferrari dealer put it through a 102 point inspection and found the shocks bad and replaced them. I just found that out believe it or not, they did it and didn't say a word. I did find it odd that a 6 year old car had shocks go bad which makes me think, with your post that maybe there is a better option than Ferrari. I would replace the Ferrari shocks with aftermarket ones in a heartbeat if that was made available by the after market. Now if the ones you found in scuderiacarparts.com are similarly built like the Ferrari ones, its a no brainer which ones to do. Throw out the Ferrari ones. Thinking of my car that was shipped to far away places since it was new, Italy to Jersey, to SanFrancisco (original dealer) to Arizona and then back to the east coast before being consigned to my dealer in Austin Texas, where I bought it and had it trucked up to the Chicago are, I suppose its no wonder that the shocks took a beating from that alone;). As for your costs over the years, just use an average and even if you spent that money, you're OK.....but don't spend it on those shocks!

tfos750 likes this.
  3. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    SD455TA ,I have 23,000 miles on the car it is a 2012. But the price is a bit much , not sure what I can do as it is at the dealership. Don't know how touchy they are putting on after market parts. I am afraid to ask. Not sure I would want anyone else to put them on.

4. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Scuderia I see has them listed for $1870 plus tax. So the labor is around $2500 per shock. It seems that the list price on those shocks is $3400 or so and with that dealership ship shock price, the dealership labor pricing isn't gouging you. However the question becomes, who is? That is a big discount at Scuderia for sure. Scuderia parts are genuine OEM Ferrari parts from what I can see from their add? If you, go haggle with the dealer, I am sure they can discount things.

Patek likes this.
  5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I always have the same fear bringing my 458 in for service, go in needing 1 or 2 things come out with a 5 figure bill.... I guess part of the Ferrari out of warranty experience. Keep us posted. Assume fronts checked out okay?

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Thanks sampellgrino I will ask if they can do a bit better on the parts side. Just hate to rock the boat, but not having unlimited money sometimes makes you look a bit closer. I remember 6 years ago they wanted $2800 each for a fan on the 550. The Ferrarichat guys said you can get them on ebay for $800. I asked them about what they could do, and to my shock the dropped their price 50%. I never knew they would deal at all. i just assumed they always dealt with major sports figures in Atlanta and no questions asked.
    Best,
    John

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Boy if the fronts go, I will sell it and get a GT3 from 2016. Still expensive to keep up. But I've had cars by ferrari since 1974. Might be time to ride the Porsche, but I feel like i would be going backwards if I got one. In the past 3 years I bought a Panamera, Cayanne, and Cayman R. But have never even driven the GT3 stuff.

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Haha I'm with you. You really gotta pay to play for Ferrari, but I'll argue it's still worth it. I'm a Porsche guy as well, had an 18 GT3 and a few others... For daily driving I have my Cayennes, but for the fun driving a 911 is just not the same as a Ferrari in any situation IMO (short of a track)

Patek likes this.
  9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    aftermarket shock options, rebuild shock options, search around. Dealers treat all customers like dumbasses ready to write a check and educate you on "pay to play". Owned my 458 for 5 years, even if you add fluid flushes, spark plugs and sticky buttons, broken radio etc. only averages out to $700 a year. Very easy to DIY oil change or brake flush

Rexcat458 and Patek like this.
  10. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Yes Kiryu the 458 really are cheap to run for Ferrari. I was just not ready to be hit with a $16,000 bill this summer.

11. Avi Das

Avi Das Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Savage458
    Had my rear shocks done in January of this year from an independent shop. They ordered it from scuderia car parts. All in 5800 with parts and labor.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Patek, Need4Spd and SD455TA like this.
  12. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    All 458’s shocks will leak sooner or later, they are very cheap quality manufactured in China, mines gone after only 20k km… and when they leak, suspension ability goes to zero very fast and you only have spring….

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Patek likes this.
  13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The magnetic fluid is abrasive and the seals don’t hold up to it.
    Best would be a rebuild. But new from Scuderiacarparts is what I did.

http://www.madenoracing.com/performance/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Need4Spd likes this.
  15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    It would be great is we can start to get feedback on shock failures and also this company from Poland that offers rebuilds. Price seems quite reasonable, and some of us are approaching 40,000 hard driven miles, including tracking.

I don’t really want to stray from the standard handling characteristics of the stock shock absorbers, and Novitec springs do not address the shocks themselves.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Front shocks started leaking at about just under 20k miles. OEM replacements. But I kept the old ones so they can be rebuilt for the next time.

17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    How was it discovered? Evidence of liquid near front wheels or visible on the shock? Handling characteristic.. or service found it?

18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    sampelligrino in my case I was getting the Brake Cap and ECU update for the recall back in June, and the mechanic found it. Took it for a drive and said something did not feel right.
    The Bill was $20,800 or rear shocks $9500 plus labor, front brakes, some wheel bearing kit was $5,400, oil change etc was $1,500. I asked if the dealership had any room on the parts, not a word back from them. Just the bill. I had to tell them I had a Ferrari Club membership good for 10% off, so the price came down to $18,800. That was an expensive Brake Fluid Cap repair under warranty. I did not know the shocks were so much.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Visible leakage outside the shock, found during annual service. There was also diminished precision to steering and handling, discovered after the new shocks were in. No doubt it went away slowly so I didn’t notice it until after the replacements.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The OEM shocks are quite a bit less from Scuderiacarparts. I had my independent do the labor.

21. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    These shocks are totally unusable, only spring. Mine went super stiff, that’s why I decided to have a look underbody.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando FerrariChat

22. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Patek

Shock are straight forward for replacing when it comes to the labour

Parts wise check scuderia and eurospares they are genuine Ferrari ones and should be a lot cheaper then what the dealers are quoting

Or you can whip them off and send to get reconditioned for prob half the price of new depends who you send it to

As said they are Magnaride shocks as used on the Audi R8’s etc and leak sooner or later

R8’s guys just go aftermarket

We’ve done the same on the 458

All the best