C8 Z06 | Page 44 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, I am a huge fan of the convertible. I actually think it looks better top up or top down than the coupe.

Most people never take off the top of the coupe. I almost never see any Corvette with the targa off but I see a lot of convertibles with their tops down. As easy as it appears, the targa is still a PITA which is why not many makers still make them.

I simply press the button when I leave and again when I arrive. Because its so easy, I go topless almost all the time unless its just too hot or too cold. Also with the top down there's a lot less wind buffeting at highway speeds. If it gets too windy I put up the side windows but leave the top down.

Also, 3/4 view out the back is actually better in the Convertible C8 than the Coupe. I can look over my shoulder and there's much less of a blind spot from the Coupe.

Another advantage is that it takes no trunk space. So if you're traveling or have stuff back there, you don't care.

Lastly, if it starts to rain you don't look like an idiot on the side of the road spending 2 minutes trying to wrangle your top back on.

Piper and VAF84 like this.
  2. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I asked the GM reps that attended the local Z06 showing and they indicated you can order CCBs on the Z06. I assume they knew what they were talking about.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Good sales pitch. Convertible it is.

4. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    BJK and VAF84 like this.
  5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The HTC is fantastic. So so worth not having to take off the panel and stow it. I'd never go back.

VAF84 likes this.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  7. bthibodeaux

bthibodeaux Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Thibodeaux
    Z07 is not required to order CCB. They are available on the standard Z06 for $8500. I think the confusion comes from the Z07 package including CCB.

Dragster likes this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Is z07/ceramic brakes required to get the aero package?

9. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So there’s quite a few options that are fairly pricey. Base is 106. What’s so bad about that? I hope they do have tons of bail outs. I can’t imagine well optioned 140k versions on the lot, discounted to 120 or so. If the economy upsets it could happen.

10. bthibodeaux

bthibodeaux Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Thibodeaux
    Well not exactly, but almost. Z07 is not required, but CCB is. So you end up saving about $500 by not getting Z07 and you don't get the Z07 suspension or underbody strakes.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    CCB is what im trying to avoid, plus the other pointless frippery on the z07.
    For Track CCB is good for poseurs but a waste and lacking in many ways for any sort of substantive use. On street its pure bling.

z07 with textile competition seats and no ccbs is the ticket.

That you cant do that tells me GM is not serious, just another car with track pretensions but not really serious.

CCBs if you track are as useful as drilled rotors. Whenever I see a car with drilled rotors it goes into my not serious half baked category.

Dissapointing, does Gm not realize that the few who will actually track these cars want to good bits and not the fancy heavy seats and pointless crap.
    You'd think that a company chasing the porche model with the c8 would wise up. I guess were not forced into centrelocks. Still one is now forced to pay for ccbs which will be removed, and interior bits which are just wrong for track, I guess this is really a z05. Hello Gm time to wise up.

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    So if I read this right you want steel brakes and competition seats. Ok, you can get it that way so what am I missing BESIDES your disdain for CCB?

13. bthibodeaux

bthibodeaux Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Thibodeaux
    I sat in the textile competition seats. The material does feel very durable and breathable. Will outlast leather or Alcantara by a long shot.

14. bthibodeaux

bthibodeaux Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Thibodeaux
    I think he wants the aero.

15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Oh. Then don't buy it.

16. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    drove from Bay Area to LV and back via Yosemite. This C8 has been fantastic in long distance drives.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BJK and TheMayor like this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Aero package with the above.

See I actually want to use the car on track, more than just occasionally for kicks.
    The z06 is supposed to be the track vette, yet for a track rat they don't offer a spec.
    zo7 is the pose spec, cause you have to get ccbs, and heavy old man leather seats..

Eric R likes this.
  18. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Its my understanding (and I have not researched it) that the Z07 package is not that much more than the CCB's. If you want you can calibrate handling to match. You cannot get the wing and winglets but lets get real here. Are those items required to make a track animal? I say NO. Earnhardt SR was always known for getting more from less than anyone. I trust your not in that caliber of driver so whats the issue? Street cred from mags? Even mag drivers are not all that. Enjoy the car for what it is and know that a Pinto can come blowing by you at anytime.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

You make good points. The aero only adds 700lbs of down force at "180" mph, and no one is cornering a vette at 180. The type of wing that is "street legal" is by definition limited. It would be interesting to see what the downforce is at say 120-130 which is the speed one goes through the eses at the glen. Underbody venturis do great, as ferraris prove and winglets really create stability so I see the benefit there. .

Nascar is a very different set of dynamics to a road course, and yes in any event we're no Eearnhardt Sr or even spec miata champion.
    However if the aero (winglest underbody, front splitter)settled the car and provide some high speed stability though fast bends its a big plus. Even a 20% improvement is huge when youre near the limit.

You tube below is my exige going through the esses flat out. With minimal aero its pretty close to the limit regardless of driver cause velocities are the same ie foot is flat and no lifting. The solo system indicates that the car gains over 1 second here vs the rest of the track, which implies the driver could do much better elsewhere. Its a lotus thing, but if there is say a Gt3 or some other such notionaly faster car behind going into turn 1 by the time I exit turn 3(at end ideo) they are significantly further behind. If I could increase aero 30% then i could up engine power and gain even more.

This translates to a vette because it is certainly going to have more speed potential though here due to power, its going to struggle in some areas to maintain even the lotus pace due to weight and lateral forces. As you know ultimately laptime is about cornering. In F1 where passing is difficult ironicaly they use less wing in a race than qualifying because no one can pass in the corners anyway and straightline speed prevents passing on the straights even if laptime is slower.

Chev adversities something like 1,2 gs lateral grip, were seeing close on 1.5 in the lotus. Add slicks to the vette and there will be improvement.

But circlign back to your point. i think the stock wings look way better on the car, and maybe the difference is not so huge if one goes to slicks, or maybe there will be aftermarket wings that really work(as opposed to lookign good).

Maybe the stock z06 is the ticket then as you say.

95spiderman and Eric R like this.
  20. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yup, The Esses are where the "men are separated from the boys."

Most guys either lift going into turn two or lift at the crest of turn 2 while transitioning into turn 3. Most cars (even high powered cars) can go flat from turn 1 all of the way up through The Esses and all of the way down the back straight into "The Bus Stop."

The driver just has to believe the car can do it. There is SOOOOO much grip at the apex of turn 2!!

I "made my living" by NEVER lifting after turn 1. I tracked-out at the top of The Esses in my 991.2 GT3 (with R7's) at 140mph and could reach 165mph until braking for The Bus Stop. In my C6 ZO6 "race car" (with full slicks) I added 10 mph to both of those numbers. Approaching The Bus Stop at 170mph definitely gets your attention.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah a track prepped c6 z06 is the daddy.
    There was a black one last week, stripped, cage and all, took all comers.

I used to find the transition from 2-3 is where the front end felt light. Then I walked the track and learned to intiate a little later and "slow hands".
    There is no question that a bit of down force in the esses is a great benefit to stabilizing the car.
    There’s lots of grip on the carousel too if one knows where to find it, then its like a spitfire arching into a dive.
    The bus stop, that fast line all 4 wheels over all the rumble strips can be hard on the car so I modify a bit there and sacrifice.

"I "made my living" by NEVER lifting after turn 1" Yes thats the place that seperates the men from the boys and as you say pretty much every car can go flat through there. Well I heard of an F40 and a few others that hot the bridge. But when you get it right its pure magic. I have read that eau rouge at Spa is the same.

On the lotus the issue is hitting the rev limiter in 4th before or by turn 3 and not being able to go for 5th untill 3 is complete. A paddle car, you can grab gears easily between 2 and 3 and you have more closely stacked gears.

So a new z06, I wonder whether it needs the z07 aero to go flat through the esses, 650 hp and paddlles implies a lot of speed.
    It will be interesting, the zl1 1 Le camaros are really fast, quicker Id say than Gt3s these days at the Glen, but the 1 Le suspension is imo not really that streetable..Still the last time I was there, the tracked out big wing c6 z07 on slicks took all commers.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  22. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    italiafan, Gh21631 and boxerman like this.
  23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Nah. None of those guys (the complainers) were buyers anyway. That forum is loaded with big talkers, and when the time comes to pony up, turn any thread into a GM bashing session.

Eric R likes this.
  24. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    That issue is VERY rare, unless you read the internet...then, it happens to every car....:rolleyes:

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    per my dealer, they will check the gaps at the dealership then shim where appropriate.
    how rare the problem is, is irrelevant if it happens to you.