360 - Can you keep your fuel and vapor lines from turning to goo? | FerrariChat

360 Can you keep your fuel and vapor lines from turning to goo?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Jul 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have replaced a lot of my vapor lines going to my charcoal canister, and I have fuel lines on order. It seems that the lines or at least the rubber that covers them just seem to disintegrate into some kind of brown "goo", for lack of a better term. One of them are so bad that it's actually dripping on my exhaust header. Is there a way of keeping this from happening? Maybe wrapping the rubber hose in something? One of the vapor lines I ordered had some type of fabric around it I'm assuming was to combat this issue...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Ive replaced all of the rubber in the engine bay over the last two years. All but one of the new evap lines I bought have the fabric on it and were replaced 2 years ago and are still in good shape. One of the evap lines didn't have the fabric and looked identical to the line I was replacing but without the goo. This line was replaced about a year ago and is already starting to turn to go. I have no idea what you can do to prevent this I'm just letting you know what I'm seeing.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Awesome. I love wasting money.

4. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Stop using gas with ethanol?

/

Thomas S. and Mel Spillman like this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I've actually thought about this also, there's a Murphy station near me that offers non-ethanol 93, but I'm on the fence of the actual quality, being a Walmart brand, I don't believe it qualifies as "top tier"...but if it is in fact the ethanol content that is causing this it might be something to look into

6. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I've never put ethanol gas in my car in 4 years.

Thomas S. and Mel Spillman like this.
  7. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Just use race gas. No ethanol in that

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is interesting as most of those lines are nylon, which supposedly is fully ethanol/alcohol resistant. There are some small vacuum lines on my 430 which are rubber, but they aren't in direct contact with fuel vapour.

If there are some rubber hoses used for fuel vapour then I'd look to change to nylon.

9. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    But where do you get non-ethanol gas???

10. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    At the gas station?

11. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Right, I need to look for them on the map and drive 200 miles round trip to get it.... Use the gas just to get the gas...wtf.

12. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought in another thread that someone mentioned fuel lines were steel with a rubber wrapping around it

13. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    I actually bought a 20 gallon portable tank, I throw it in the bed of the truck, drive the 100 miles round trip for 91 octane and put it in the 360. I only go through about 2 tanks a year on the 360 so its not a huge deal. I have recently found there is a Sunoco about 150 miles away from me that has 93 ethanol free so I'm going to give that a go next.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The second picture is the main fuel line. That line is plastic within a rubber protection sleeve. You are seeing the rubber protection sleeve melting.

Changing your fuel will have zero effect on the outside of the line. You seem to have some seriously high engine bay temperatures. I would suggest looking for the reason why. And quickly. You could end up losing the car to a fire..

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This was happening before I bought the car in 16, I added a vented Novitec grille to help with the heat but I don't think there's anything abnormal, in fact it has aftermarket cats and exhaust that tend to be a bit cooler than stock....plus I replaced a ton of things after I bought it...no fuel smell or anything like that but it's been a while since I've driven it.