SF90 will not start in eDrive | FerrariChat

SF90 will not start in eDrive

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by cesman, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    When Ferrari previewed the SF90 in 2019 they made specific mention of being able to start the car in electric mode so as not to "wake the neighbours" as they put it. Thusfar I have not been able to do this!

Dealer instructions:
    1. Press start button once (without pressing brake pedal)
    2. Select eDrive on eManettino
    3. Press brake pedal and push Start button - however every time I do this car reverts to Hybrid mode and the engine starts up, message on screen "eManettino settings automatically changed" !

The battery is fully charged so it's not lack of charge causing this. Anyone else have the same issue or manage to do this successfully?

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    According to my dealer, Ferrari is still sorting out all sorts of little bugs on the SF90, so my guess is that the car has a problem that probably needs a firmware update.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think I saw it mentioned in a video (I know, not exactly the very best source) the regular manettino has to be in wet mode to engage this mode? Maybe thats worth a try?

ryalex likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A software glitch in a new Ferrari?

SHOCKING! :)

jm2 likes this.
  5. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2010
    Reno/Tahoe NV, Seattle WA and Portland OR
    Full Name:
    KJ
    That’s it! I’m out! I’m cancelling my SF90 spider order as the “sneak away” option described in the brochure turns out to be all BS! That configuration option is $9875…jeez

6. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Some times it does. Don’t know why. Most of times it works.

Iphone disconnects too often. Carplay has so many bugs.

Car is fantastic at least :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Done that without success - it works once the car is warm but not on cold start. Anyway, will see what feedback I get from the dealer.

8. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    +1 I’m loving it

of2worlds, [gTr] and j09333 like this.
  9. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    To close this thread. Seems to have been a calibration issue in the first 100miles - sorted itself out. Now works perfectly. Nothing funnier than seeing pedestrian reactions to a Ferrari going past silently ;-)

10. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Dealer called.
    Ferrari is checking batteries of SF90s in the service now.
    Check up will take 30 mins.
    It is good thing that Ferrari is looking into any problems.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  11. fiorano_1

fiorano_1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2012
    College Grove, Tennessee, USA
    Full Name:
    Blaise Barrelet
    same here. This is the best car I've ever had and I had quite a few
    @aventadorguy

j09333 likes this.
  12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Given that if the car sits for a while(like 4-5days) engine starts no matter which mode, it is the 12v battery that dictates if the engine should be fired up or not at the beginning I assume.

Car needs certain voltage from 12v to start and move properly like any other ICE only car I guess. Since stater generater does not run to keep 12v battery optimally when on ev mode after it is parked long, it needs engine to be run. This is my theory.

13. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    That sounds right to me.. however if it’s anything like the Lithium Battery in the Pista, connect the trickle charger everyday, no if’s or buts, even after a spirited drive. Just gone through a nightmare situation.. I would even go as far to say if you can’t connect to a trickle charger every day, wouldn’t buy a Pista…

of2worlds likes this.
  14. MikeJF488

MikeJF488 Karting

Oct 6, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike joseph
    I can confirm 100% that the car i test drove was indeed able to start in E mode

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Corvus

Corvus Rookie

May 10, 2007
    SF90 only starts in electric if the engine is warm. It will never move away in electric if the ICE is cold. Also it has taken a 15 minute drive before the ICE could be turned off.
    This is with a US car. Europeans often get better results.

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think it is battery temperature that dictates. If it’s too cold the car uses the ICE to heat it.

17. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    That’s very weird, I can reverse my car and drive away in electric only without even starting the ICE.

18. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    That is incorrect. I can start in elec even the car is not running for 2 weeks. As already said it depends on battery temperature.

19. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    maybe I misunderstand the op but these are not my experiences.
    (1) I put my foot on the brake and press the 'engine start' selector *twice*. the car starts up in hybrid mode by default. select reverse, lift foot from brake and roll out of the garage no problem.
    (2) I put my foot on the brake and press the 'engine start' selector *once*. then use the eminihand to select any drive mode (qual/perf/hybrid/ed -- ed in this case), select reverse, lift foot from brake and roll out of the garage no problem.

in both cases above, when selecting a forward gear, the ice stays off and I continue to run on just battery. this works when the ice is either cold or hot.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  20. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
  21. MikeJF488

MikeJF488 Karting

Oct 6, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike joseph
    I can start mine fine in E Drive, I press the start / ignition button once, then I press "Ed", then press the start / ignition button , I hear the Wizz noise of the electric starting and can immedistely drive away in E Drive mode. I do not need to start it in Hybrid or any other mode first.
    Hope this helps

22. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I’ve had my car over a year and used extensively in UK and Europe. Most times it will start in electric only (Hybrid is the default) but sometimes the ICE will fire up immediately or shortly after starting. Other times it stays in electric. I’ve been through this with the dealer technicians and Ferrari and it does seem to be related to battery temperature.