FORMULA 1 LENOVO GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2022 - Le Castellet...RACE.. ▀▄▀▄▀▄ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 19 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 LENOVO GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2022 - Le Castellet...RACE.. ▀▄▀▄▀▄ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    CL not the problem at Ferrari...

stavura, 20000rpm, Giallo 550 and 4 others like this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I always wonder if they record and watch the races afterwards and compare how the other teams’ engineers interact with the drivers, the timeliness and kind of info provided, and consider how they compare.

What makes it weirder for Ferrari is that even though the strategist is a Brit—though reporting up to Rueda—you have an Italian engineer with a Spanish driver, a Spanish engineer with a French-speaking driver and they’re all speaking English as a second language. Shouldn’t be an issue but still, I’m sure it doesn’t help the situation.

Both Max and Russell have Italian engineers but maybe because of the systems in place at RB and Merc, there’s never the kind of confusion we see at Ferrari.

Bas, Jeronimo GTO and 635CSI like this.
  3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Agreed, it is about (human) systems. There is endless data about other teams driver/pit wall interaction and timing of strategy calls.
    This must (surely?) be studied but our system does not work, time for some fresh people .
    When the ‘transfer window’ opens we should try to spend some money and poach folk who have been at top teams and know how they work

ingegnere likes this.
  4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Graham, it's the people, it's always the people. When Luca di M. ran the team, confused and confusing team B.S. like today never happened during an F1 race. It struck me as intensely embarrassing.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah but I still had hope for a turnaround: Max' RB can break down or he gets hit by a back marker. But by now the points advantage is not to be made up.

Add to that a broken LeClerc who sadly isn't the full package. They're done. Kaputt. Finito.

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The championship is not over.

polishhammer83 and 635CSI like this.
  7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Tomorrow I might agree, this evening I will remain miserable :rolleyes:

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1 !

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You raise a very valid point. Nationality isn't the issue. Perhaps even the strategist isn't the issue.

But the process is.

All teams make mistakes on strategy. But none make the amount that Ferrari does and spectacularly so.

stavura, Need4Spd, mdrums and 4 others like this.
  10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    just watched the race i recorded earlier......

what ****ing moron is the strategist for ferrari?
    seriously brain dead people sitting on that pit wall.

Need4Spd, Hocakes and JJ like this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Ferrari is in “cover your azz “ mode.

tonyc likes this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Really. So the car parked itself into a wall. Team failure to include Charles. Its that simple today. He stated so and clearly, which I think was refreshing. He made a mistake.

lagunacc likes this.
  13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Oh my gosh. I am lost for words. What an utter cataclysmic debacle, yet again, by Ferrari. I cannot believe it. Just pathetic. First Charles self destructs, yet again, and writes off his race and almost certainly the WDC. Then the team strategists decide to give away a podium and pit Sainz. Utter morons. I am soooo angry with these utter fools. Let’s not beat about the bush - this season should have been Ferrari WDC and WCC but human errors in the driving, strategy, and powertrain departments have gifted both to Redbull. At this rate, even Merc might beat Ferrari by the end of the season. Disgraceful. They all deserve to be fired. That is all.

20000rpm, Need4Spd, Hocakes and 3 others like this.
  14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ^^^^ he's not wrong

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Brutal race. Very sad. Bottom line for me is that they don't look like a team that deserves to win the championship. Hopefully that changes.

20000rpm, ross, Nurburgringer and 2 others like this.
  16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He's being a team player and not throwing Ferrari under the bus for keeping him out on shot tires.

stavura, Need4Spd, Giallo 550 and 2 others like this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's not pitting Sainz that makes him lose the podium, but the 5s penalty he got for the previous unsafe release. With 5s applied at the end (and deteriorating tyres) he'd have lost at least the 3rd place and had no chance to take the fastest lap point.

ingegnere, JWeiss and lagunacc like this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agreed. Ferrari should have covered Max with Leclerc immediately after Max's pit-stop.

This whole notion of the radio message to Leclerc about the hards being slower was mistake #1 by Ferrari and leaving Leclerc out when he had a right front blister.

Need4Spd and steved033 like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari should have pitted Sainz 8 to 9 laps earlier instead of waiting till there was 5 laps left(???).

Sainz had remarkable pace throughout the race.

20. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Yes, that was beyong crying! What did he expect there? He wasn't even ahead.

gh0st0 and ingegnere like this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Apparently doing this would have put him at the back of a multi-car train so would not have done him much good.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    At least he would not have crashed in the tire barriers(possibly).

ingegnere likes this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Random thought looking at pics of LEC’s off: here’s a track with endless run-off areas—basically just a huge paved expanse of land—and LEC had to have the bad luck of going off and finding an f’in barrier! :mad:

jcurry and Giallo 550 like this.
  24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    True...but at the same time, in around late 30s laps, Sainz asked for a pitstop and Ferrari said no (perfect time to go for 1 more run on mediums). They then kept him out, Sainz did some great overtaking (!), and THEN they told him to pit...and Sainz didn't want. To pit with 10 laps or so remaining was just stupid, unless they switched to new soft.

singletrack, Hocakes and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  25. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Agreed. Just in his outlap, or one lap after that, he overtook two cars in one. With 7 or 8 laps more, he should have gotten the podium for sure.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.