What's For Dinner? | Page 837 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Can’t wait to see all your pics. Guessing you ate really well!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    One of the reasons I've been so busy was hosting 10 family members at the house. It was looong days of hiking, fly fishing, golfing *and* entertaining and cooking pretty darn nice meals...Ania and I were exhausted when they left, but wouldn't trade the memories for anything. (we have been doing these family weekends at my place in Wyoming since 2002).

We had a bunch of great meals, albeit a bit similar to last year's menus. I only had time to take pics on Beer Can Chicken night. Smoked 3 whole birds (we had 14 for dinner that night as we invited the "foodie neighbors" to dinner) and my wife added a Moroccan Salad with chickpeas and red bell pepper and a bunch of yummy stuff. And she also roasted some locally grown golden beets and made a salad with arugula, roasted beets, goat cheese and cashews.

We ate every meal outside on the deck looking at the mountains and drank a fair bit of wine...most evenings were s'mores for dessert, but iirc Ania made Lemon custard that night.

Great times.

(bummed that I was literally running around cooking and couldn't take pics the other nights. One night was St. Louis style ribs. We had so many racks that I had to use the neighbors smoker in addition to mine. So I was going back and forth for 6 hours while the ribs smoked. The neighbors contributed a homemade killer BBQ sauce and not one but two rhubarb pies from their garden, one with strawberry/rhubarb and one with peach/rhubarb. Other nights were grilled steelhead, grilled beef filets, penne pesto with blackened prawns, burgers and brats one night too.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raconteur, Cigarzman, tomc and 2 others like this.
  3. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    After the family left, we were too tired to spend more than a few minutes making dinner. So we grilled a few polish sausage and had them with kraut, relish, onion and dijon on a store-bought brioche bun. Super yummy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raconteur and NbyNW like this.
  4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Raconteur, NbyNW and I.T. Guy like this.
  5. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Over here we call those “on the grill” - so I’ll order “hot, on the grill” and they finish them on the grill, it’s so good. Not all places will do it.

Those look great!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  6. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Cigarzman likes this.
  7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    A lot of our cooking since they left has been based on using up whatever foods we still had from the costco run before their arrival...so the last of that stuff was onions and potatoes. Added some chorizo and eggs from the nearby farm to make a Tortilla de Patatas of sorts. So yummy that it was all gone with a few hours of cooking. (not pictured, but best when topped with a bit of sour cream and chives)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW and I.T. Guy like this.
  8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #20908 arizonaitalian, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Got invited to the foodie neighbors again. He recently got a Camp Chef smoker on my recommendation and has been loving it. They have a bunch of freezers and buy a whole hog and 1/2 of a cow each year, and he saved a big 'ol chunk of the prime rib to smoke when we were able to join them. That night finally arrived. They had some other friends over who - like my wife - don't eat beef - so they also cooked some salmon and veggies with white wine en papillote for the non-beef eaters.

Which worked out amazingly well for me! Basically I got 1/2 of the entire rib they cooked and ate delicious smoked prime rib for dinner 3 nights in a row (I actually have a fourth slice that I will make hash out of tomorrow for lunch). They are great cooks and they follow Steven Raichlen religiously, so this was one of his recipes/cooks, and it was amazing...pulled at 128F from a 225F smoker and rested for 25 minutes.

Perfect medium rare, and the smoke flavors were fairly intense (iirc it was on for 4 hours).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raconteur, I.T. Guy and NbyNW like this.
  9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Tried a new to me restaurant. Greek/Italian place. Had lasagna. It was decent, Id eat there again. Little on the pricey side.

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Tonight we had some friends over for dinner. They have a home here in our little valley, but the couple has lived overseas for 20 years in Shanghai, Singapore, Malaysia, Poland and now Spain (they are teachers with the American Schools). Needless to say they are very interesting to spend an evening with!

They lived in Warsaw when we first met them and thus we share an affinity for Poland with them...

...so Ania and I made them pierogi "six ways" as a first course for them to enjoy (both fried and boiled, with 3 different fillings; mushroom, sauerkraut, and "ruskie" - cheese and potato). Served them with the traditional toppings of butter-fried onions, sour cream, fresh dill and chopped chives. I grilled some lemon chicken breasts and asparagus for the main and Ania made her Tiramisu for dessert.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The puppy had her first Pierogi...she wasn't sure at first, but I looked over after a couple of minutes and it had disappeared!

Jdubbya, max930, Raconteur and 4 others like this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Same here. Not a lot of places that I've been finish them on the grill. Shame. Little bit of extra crisp on them is great...T

I.T. Guy likes this.
  12. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Snacky Sunday.....All homemade salumi (basturma), salami (calabrian coated) but did add lardo de colonatta from Italy, plus canned octopus in evoo with crackers, homegrown tomatoes and a bottle of J 20 cuvee to wash it down.

MANDALAY, NbyNW, I.T. Guy and 2 others like this.
  16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Took the left over grilled lemon chicken and asparagus, chopped them up and added them to a garlic, lemon, thyme, white wine and cream sauce with some pasta. Surprisingly yummy use of leftovers.

tomc, BrettC, NbyNW and 2 others like this.
  17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Yep. That does not suck!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  18. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Long time friend visited this weekend. Took him to Ken’s Artisan Pizza. Ken’s Artisan Bread voted Top 10 in the US by several national magazines… amazing crust!

Last of my first Negroni. Yes, I had a second one. Caesar with Ken’s bread croutons. Ken’s bread with fresh pressed EV olive oil and finishing salt. Margherita, and fennel sausage with mushrooms topped with Calabrian peppers pizzas. We added anchovies. Couldn’t resist, we ate all of both!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jdubbya, tomc, max930 and 6 others like this.
  19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Just did five pieces of salmon sushi, chopped scallop cone and two order of rolls last night. Its hot for us today.. Should have saved the sushi for tonight cause I don't feel like hot foods or cooking.

Doing a quick shop in the states this afternoon. Safeway makes decent subs fresh in their deli. Might pick up a sub and some macaroni salad. Have that for dinner tonight.

tomc likes this.
  20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    boostedt0y, Raconteur and NbyNW like this.
  22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ended up having sushi and rolls again. We ended up skipping Safeway and I didn't feel like hot foods. It was either Japanese or Subway. Japanese won.

23. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  24. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Little hotter today. Currently 90 and I don't feel like leaving the house. Despite not being a fan of canned tuna, thinking of stealing a can from Bella. Make a tuna salad. Had Subway for lunch and can't think of anything else cold to make.