The end of vintage sports car bargains? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The end of vintage sports car bargains?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bullfighter, Jul 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Time will tell.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yep, and I’m not putting a dime on your prediction

3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Shark01 likes this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    One LIKE for you, congrats!

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    a built big block will cost you half that in gas alone!

sjd

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think you’ll see some drops on certain cars (i.e. some newer 911s) as inventory matches demand. I personally would stay away from relatively late models until the next downturn.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We are witnessing the last rush. If you feel comfortable paying 300k for a 458..good on ya.

Remember.. you could buy a 308 25k..a 355 for 35k..a countach for 45k..etc..a 360 manual car was 53k..they got there once..they will get there again. They always do. These cars are not GTO's or 275's. These are cookie cutter cars..with the acception of the Countach..

8. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    53k for a 360? 35k for a 355? Mark this post if you ever see five examples of each of these ever for sale again at that price. I say never.

JOHNCJ8989 and JTSE30 like this.
  9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #59 Bullfighter, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    I agree. The question is who will pay money for these after us. A 250 GTO is a forever piece of art and history. A 360 is… a car with a good badge that can outperform most cars from 1999.

With fewer buyers, the rarest may do well but the rest? Hard to say.

The other factor, as I’ve mentioned, is that a generation raised on EVs isn’t going to have much patience for leaky cam seals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tbakowsky and Shark01 like this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    100%. Going gaga and drooling over these cars at shows etc is one thing. Ownership and putting up with its flaws is a whole other ball of wax.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That generation of misguided vacuum cleaner kids won’t have two nickels to rub together to purchase something aspirational for the next 30 years.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I highly doubt that. It has never in history been this easy to advertise and promote yourself/business. And it's all free. Never been easier to network with others..don't even have to leave the house.

People make huge money just on Facebook market place selling random garage sale junk at 100% mark-ups..never been a better time to make money.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah the key being ADVERTISE YOURSELF......Kids making real money are rarer than a 250GTO....most are lying and pretending.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Dude there are 5 year kids testing toys on YouTube making millions..don't be jealous..

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You are the one with issues on this.....

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How about you do some research on the monetary gains young people are making by using YouTube, Instagram, facebook etc..I think you may be a bit out of touch with things. Kids are making money just from playing video games.

In other words your original statement was pretty broad..and I suppose mine was as well. There will always be do nothings..and the doers.

17. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Maybe some of us are from different generations but a 308 to me is something I would never want to own. I would take a Testarossa over a 308. The 360 design still shows well today and was the start of the modern Ferrari era. The 360 was my first love and always will be which is why I bought one.

18. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #68 SCEye, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    the total wealth of the US has consistently gone up. Someone has to own that wealth in the next 30 years, either the genXers or their children. There will be a lot of very wealthy people. The 1% will continue to have more and more money. 1% of 300million is 3million people, worth at least $10mil. They can easily afford a $200K toy.

JohnnyRay likes this.
  19. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The not so old cars are becoming more collectible so quickly because the latest generation of sports car has taken such a rapid shift in evolution. These new cars are still cool because they are the latest and greatest. There won’t be any charm or excitement in an outdated turbo hybrid.

Zed82 likes this.
  20. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I like the Testarossa as well as the 308, but I grew up on Miami Vice and Magnum PI.

The issue with all these cars is that they require thousands of dollars in maintenance even when nothing is wrong. And frankly as things got more sophisticated there is simply more stuff to fail. Would I like to drive a Portofino for a weekend? Absolutely. Would I like to own it out of warranty so I have a fun toy as a third car? Maybe I could rationalize the occasional oil leak or clutch replacement, but I think the population of enthusiasts who will embrace the occasional puddle on the garage floor or get excited about metal shavings during an oil change is going to dwindle over time.

I like to think whoever ends up with my Porsche 964 will look after it as a piece of automotive history, and I see strong demand for some time. But ultimately… who knows?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bisonte likes this.
  21. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA

I just bought my first Ferrari, so I guess I will see how the experience goes. I have had to many cars from heavily modified to high end luxury I was bored with all. So many people knock on the reliability of Ferrari, I want to know the real truth by real ownership. I have always loved the Ferrari brand but I have only really like three cars they have made which are the 360/430 and Testarossa. I just don’t think I could handle an interior prior to the 360.

paulchua likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've seen the same model car be garbage and ultra-reliable. It's all depending on the previous work and upkeep. It comes down to $$$, some will say the time you want to spend on it, which I argue is simply a derivative - since well time is money.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Look...all these cars will leak oil..need a clutch..pee coolant..fail to start..need one sensor or another..and the list goes on.

We are now in an instant gratification society. These problems will not be tolerated. You wanna own a old Ferrari. And yes the 360/430 are now old cars..learn to fix the damn thing yourselves. Buy a set of tools..invest in a scan tool..and away you go.

Bullfighter likes this.
  24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, these sorts of problems and this kind of maintenance will be about as enticing as slide rules. Plus, cars got very complicated. There was no e-differential on a Porsche 356 or Ferrari 308. Much stuff to troubleshoot and repair.

That’s why I think classics may have more of a future.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. sinistermist

sinistermist Karting

Mar 23, 2016
    Cannot speak to how the 360 or 430 F1 setup works, but I would like to know how new can you go on a Ferrari before you need thousands in software to work on parts of it? In the mid 90s it seemed like only the truly high end supercars required special software like the Mclaren F1. By the early 2000s it became more common on high end exotics.