430 - Straight pipe rear muffler on scud | FerrariChat

430 Straight pipe rear muffler on scud

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ahtim, Jul 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    Hi, I am currently on Capristo header and 200cat and China made xpipe with muffler for the rear muffler in titianium, however during my last track day, the heat generated by the titianium rear muffler are crazy, my rear bumper paint got cracked and the ppf pop up, so I need to solve the heat problem from this exhaust,
    Either I put stock back on it or I could ask someone to make me a straight pipe from cat directly to the bumper, however my concern is has anyone done it? Will all the low end torque be gone?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get an insulation company to make a heat blanket for it, the difference in heat with a insulated set of manifolds is huge, so doing the same to the back box will be similar. They should be able to lag up all of it except the tips

4. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Send to header shield they are doing my headers now.

5. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    I do have blanket for the header that came with Capristo together, the problem is on my rear muffler section, I am thinking may be use some heat tape to wrap it, but at the same time I was thinking should I do a straight from cat to rear, wonder if the torque will be affected

6. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I would have that x pipe covered with header shield. Its far superior then tape

7. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

This is odd to me. The oem muffler box is a huge heat sink and generated 3x more heat (even after I wrapped it with dei titanium wrap) than my agency power/vivid racing titanium rear x-pipe style muffler. Its basically a straight through design, so not much metal to heat up and soak the engine bay with high temps. Plus, my understanding is that titanium does not heat up as much as steel. Could it be that it is your cats that are causing this heat, and not the muffler section? If you have unshielded aftermarket cats that could definitely be the culprit. Again, my vivid racing muffler set up GREATLY reduced engine bay heat (in tandem with my capistro (blanketed) headers and stock (with oem shielding) cats. It still gets hot back there, but no where near as hot as it used to.

DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    avoid that silly tape like the plague, ok till it burns and welds it self to the metal work. Get a nice fluffy heat blanket

9. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Hey Mike, I respect your opinion but have you tried this DEI product on a muffler? I used it on my old lambo titanium muffler and on the stock box for 10k hard (Arizona heat) miles. Never had an issue at all. When I removed the oem muffler to install the agency power muffler, the wrap was still supple and not "burned" in the least. In fact, I saved it to use again if I ever put the stock muffler back on (which I may do as I kind of miss the valves...or more accurately, my neighbors/wife miss the valves!). I've never used this wrap on headers or cats, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't stand up to the hotter temps seen on those components, but I can assure you that for a muffler can its great. I would be surprised if it didn't work on the OP's muffler, unless something else is going on with his car that is making things runner hotter than it should (which is possible, inasmuch as I indicated suprise that he generated enough heat back their to melt stuff). Even my car is original paint on the rear bumper and it was a track rental car!

LightGuy likes this.
  10. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    Is it because of the weather, it was 38c and 70c ground temp that day I was at track, but my last track day was like only a few degrees down, but my set up was stock muffler and nothing happened, no melting paints or anything. from what I understand, the metal thickness of the stainless steel is thicker than titianium, here is a pic of my rear muffler, from the pic, you can see that it is not easy to make a heat blanket on it, that’s why I was Thinking of changing it to sth else, I actually though of making the xpipe rear without muffler, but I worry that it might be too loud,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can buy insulation rope in different diameters which you wrap around yourself, it used to be asbestos in the old days but more friendly products available these days. Once in place you can use an insulation tape over the top of it( made of same material as the insulation blankets)

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I saw the pics that dan of normal guy supercar put up of his 430 manifold pipes and the job of getting the stuff off, maybe it is better nearer the back of the car.

13. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

what brand is that exhaust? It looks really well made. I’d try wrapping it.

DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    An X-Pipe can be a big restriction and hence a source of increased heat if the merge reduces the overall system diameter. For out-and-out performance the X-Pipes are a compromise anyway, but if not well designed they are a problem.

Mangskoginger likes this.
  15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Get urself some Rockwool insulation at home depot. It's made from basalt rock. Basalt rock is very very high heat rated and fire proof. Then get some basalt cloth and make a blanket. That's what I did and I wrapped my cats and muffler. You can literally hold your hand on it at operating temp.

LightGuy likes this.
  16. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    You mean the power will drop with x pipe design rear muffler?

17. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    I'd buy a rear section from another manufacturer and contact the people that made that one to cover the cost of the repairs, your exhaust absolutely should not be doing that to your bumper - the exhaust looks pretty for sure, but it's not fit for purpose

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I love clever DIY solutions rather than throwing money at problems and hoping things resolve .

BTW any difference in torque from whatever solution is found will be minimal if felt at all .
    These are street cars bombing around on track days .
    If one is racing pro against equal cars then a few foot pounds might matter .

LorenzoR likes this.