Virus and it looks like it's from FerrariChat.com! | FerrariChat

Virus and it looks like it's from FerrariChat.com!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Only reason I know is because I got the email. Y'all should know better than to open any zip or pif files by now unless you know 100% what it is. This one is tricky, because it looks very much like it actually came from me, but trust me it doesn't. It just looks at the domain name and uses that in the text of the email. Here's the email...

One way you can know a valid email comes from me is I usually capitalize the C in chat. Although it looks like the "from" address is me, it's not, none of my computers are infected, but others with me in their address book are.

I don't know how widespread it is. Anyone else receive it?

A user from the site could of possibly created it on their own. They misspelled "unavailable". What idiots.

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Been getting a lot of these pif messages lately the last one came from "foleys.com"

don't know what they are but they get deleted and recycled.

Thankfully on the MAC the impact of opening these is not as bad as it would be in a windows environment but i think I received 20 of them in the last 2 weeks....

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've been getting these attachments as well but I just trash them, that really sucks to hear Rob. With so many joining this site, this dingus most likely well never get caught. Good Luck.

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I also got one,it said "This is the file" and had a hotmail senders address thing is I did not know anyone of that name so just deleted it.
    Dave

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    my favorite one was from someone at a recruting company and it just had "Your Picture???"

in the tag line and then EXPLAIN THIS! in the body of the message DELETE

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My law school just got hit with it today... everyone got that email with the school's domain name on it. Luckily, the school sent out an email to warn everyone within a few minutes of receiving it.

-R

8. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I'm almost paranoid when I get mails with attached files.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    My dad got one stating it was from me and it was a similar situation. Thanks for the warning.

10. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just checked my email. Thank you Road Runner...

Is this the same worm, even though it's not from Fchat?

11. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I just got the same email at work, it just changed f-chat to my company name.....

12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I get about 2 or 3 of these a day! Haven't received the FChat one yet though, I'll be on the lookout now. Thanks.

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I got one very much like that one, Rob. It claimed it was from ITS (information technology something something...), who runs the network im on. It looked very much like it was from them and had some convincing message to download a file. I obviously deleted it, but im sure there were alot of people who did click on it. Ive been getting so many emials fomr people i dont know and also emails bounced back to me that i didnt send! The fact that im getting email bounced back to me is confusing because i dont have the virus. The same has been happening to everyone on my network. Until now i thougth it was just a local problem.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I got two of these in my personal e-mail. One of them looked like it was from Yahoo, and the other from some someone I've never heard of. I didn't open any of them cause it just looked too fishy.

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    At work, we've been getting flooded with emails that look like they're from associates (i.e. Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield) but they're not; they all have a similar statement regarding an email that we sent them (that we never really sent) containing a virus... Of course, every last one of those emails has an attachment... i'm sure if i downloaded them, things would go horribly awry... (Yes, even MORE horribly awry than usual...:D)

16. marcos

marcos Formula 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Zuid-Holland - Nethe
    Full Name:
    Marc den D.
    Hi guys,

We are probably talking about one off the Netsky virus versions. Real **** I should say. If you are infected, take a look at http://www.norman.com/virus_info/netsky_b_mm.shtml
    Here you can download a fix and see what the other versions off netsky are. Beware, because the B and D versions are highrisk worms...

btw.
    Make an XXXXXX person and adress ([email protected]) in your e-mail lists. Most worms can't spread if they find the first to be fake...

17. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    What's sad is the pathetic losers that have nothing better to do than to create this garbage.

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great advice.... !!!!! thanks!!!!

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Mr. Green?????

20. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I received one tonight from someone I have never heard of with the heading of "Prugna is that the color of your car"? (Yes it is) but it didn't come thru the normal FerrariChat "You have a message format. And yes it did have an attachment.

21. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    None received here. I'll keep a look out. Thanks for the heads up.