Ethanol vs. Non Ethanol | FerrariChat

Ethanol vs. Non Ethanol

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Blow N By, Jul 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blow N By

Blow N By Rookie

Mar 11, 2022
    Wondering if it has been discussed before as to the best fuel to run when considering ethanol vs non-ethanol. Obviously a high octane is required but usually the highest octane around here, 93, is not offered in non-ethanol (which is supposedly better for fuel systems) and especially those systems which aren't used regularly. Recently, I noticed I can get 93 octane in non-ethanol and wondered if that was better or worse for an F12.
    Seems like a no brainer but my new Yamaha 250 outboard was made to run on 90 non-ethanol. The factory tech I spoke to, says the engine performs better on 90 octane than 93 because it was designed specifically for a lower octane.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Given there are dozens of threads with ethanol in the title it seems likely your query has been answered previously

020147 likes this.
  3. Blow N By

Blow N By Rookie

Mar 11, 2022
    Yes on the ethanol generic question but not as to whether a higher octane in non-ethanol which is not usually available actually runs better. I have information that actually suggests some motors produce more horsepower with ethanol.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    our Ford f 150 runs a lot better on regular. poorly on premium. all with ethanol.

5. Blow N By

Blow N By Rookie

Mar 11, 2022
    Interesting. May have been designed that way.

6. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    My 488 has been running non ethanol 91 since I’ve bought the car. I’ve put 93 ethanol in a couple of times when the car is quite low on fuel (I have to drive to the next county for non ethanol fuel) and I’ve not noticed any changes in performance between the two.

Living in the upper Midwest the car is prone to sit for a bit of time and I like knowing there’s no ethanol in the tank. The drive to the next county is a nice and pretty drive so filling up in 91 is a good excuse to go for a pleasant 30 minute drive.

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    How old is the f150

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If a fuel injected engine has a weak ecu with limited adaptability... Then higher octane can be a waste in everything but the hottest of climates.

If the ECU is more sophisticated and has "larger tables" and larger flexibility then it should run better on higher octane.

The ECU will use all of its sensors and of course knock sensors to determine how much timing it can put in the motor. The higher the octane the more timing it can run prior to detonation.

Also the lower octane without ethenol can not only be a ECU adaptability issue but more likely it doesn't like the 15% of added ethonal as the 15% volume of ethonal lacks the energy of 100% gas/non ethenol. For lamens terms it takes almost twice as much ethanol to equal the energy of gasoline. So you need twice the volume roughly for equal energy.

Ethanol sucks. People wont like that statement. But it sucks.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I like ethanol.

Blow N By and Mel Spillman like this.
  10. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    who voted for these ethanol-loving bastards anyway?

just another popular vote getter for the big conglomerates and their corn subsidies.

to hell with the small family farmers!

if all the lobbyists and their groups dropped dead tomorrow, we'd all be better off!

grant was right.

Blow N By and Mel Spillman like this.
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What do you like about it added to fuel for internal combustion?

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    **** the farmers.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That's why. Limited capability/flexibility out of the ECU and the injectors.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I like it added to a martini glass with olives. :D

technom3 likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Dislike due to damage to rubber components on older cars. No comment on newer ones, I simply don't know.