Who owns my old 1978 Ferrari 308 Gts? 24003 I have some Original Docs for you | FerrariChat

Who owns my old 1978 Ferrari 308 Gts? 24003 I have some Original Docs for you

Discussion in '308/328' started by verde330gts, Jul 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    In 1978 I bought this Gold Ferrari 308 GTS new at FAF Ferrari in Atlanta Ga. The showroom had
    1 car in it.... This 308. I was a your attorney at 38 years old and drove the car off the showroom floor.
    I have some Original Documents and Photos of the car and would be happy to share them with the Current owner. Thanks, Anthony

eurocarguy101 and JuLiTrO like this.
  2. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Well my first post didnt go too well.... I got the VIN wrong.. It is F106AS24033
    24033 Sorry for the confusion

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  3. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Try to edit the thread title (or ask a mod) so that the correct number is shown up there.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  4. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Moderator. Please edit the thread title Vin #

5. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    verde330gts - I don't know if this helps, but a post in a different thread from FChat user Barnone 308 (in 2004) identifies his car as 24033, here's the link:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1978-ferrari-308-vin-number.14786/#post-215893

Don't know the member, and don't know if he still owns the car, but maybe that will at least head you in the right direction. I always like seeing cars reunited with their past belongings.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    What a great 'Karma' thing to do!!

7. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I love it when I see people do things like this, I believe anything associated with a car should stay with it. I've done this twice with things I've found that belonged to other cars. It's like a piece of their story is missing.

8. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
  9. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    beautiful color (with a matching shirt :))

10. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Ok. Here is the story. I hope you enjoy it. I was sitting at a bar with 2 of my best friends having a beer in 1978.
    We were all 38 years old. I asked them if they had seen the new Ferrari 308 GTS. They had and loved it. The Ferrari was $30,000 new. I talked them into splitting it 3 ways. Each of us would go borrow $10,000 against our houses. The interest was tax deductible. We came up with the $30k and went out to FAF Ferrari. The Gold 308 GTS was the ONLY Ferrari at the dealership.
    It was sitting on the showroom floor. The Salesman had a last name. Algrim?. He want on to start the Ferrari market letter I believe. I asked if that was the only 308 GTS he had. Algrim said. That is the Only Ferrari we have. I said. “We will take it!” He was stunned. He said. Nobody does that. Just walks in and says. We will take it. All of us had day drivers. So this would be a second car for us. At the end of the week. You were to have the Ferrari completed detailed and full of gas and ready for the next partner.
    Every third week. I drove the Ferrari for a week……. The market was so strong back them that we kept the car for a year and sold it back to FAF for $31,000. AES3 was our tag. Askew. Edge Strickland. Our last names. Here are some pics of us in 1978
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Cool story. Good friends!

12. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Those pictures are GOLD for the current owner (no pun intended). I'm in contact with the original owner of my 1975 car, but he hasn't been able to find any pictures of it (I don't think he's actually looked). However, I had a few pictures of the car from 1989 that were included with the sale, but would love to see photos of mine when it was brand new. I really hope you can get those to the current owner.

eskamobob1 and JuLiTrO like this.
  13. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Might I ask you a question? What time of year did this momentous occasion with your buddies occur? Any chance it was in around Thanksgiving?

Thanks

BTW, I just completed a book on FAF titled The FERRARI PLACE. You might enjoy it.

eskamobob1 and dinoart like this.
  14. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Hey. I would love to get a few copies of the book. One of my good friends was the first employee of FAF and his father was a
    Minority owner in the dealership. His name is Doug Campbell. Also. One of my good friends who just passed away was the #1 mechanic and became the service manager for years to come. Sadly he passed a few months back. Richard Rudiger

dinoart likes this.
  15. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Very cool Anthony. I bought Jim's book. There's so much history in it on how Ferrari cars and culture took shape in the US. If you're a Ferrari fan like me you should get one. I have 3 308s. BTW is that a Nardy steering wheel in #24033? Aren't they supposed to be silver spoke Momo?

4zaJim likes this.
  16. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Thanks Dino. Jim please send me a message or let me know where I can buy a book. Thanks

17. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    How do I send a Private message to Barnone 308? I see no option to send messages on this forum. I am on Porsche forums and you have to have at least 10 comments before they let you send a message.

18. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Hmm, that might be the case here. I'm not sure what the rules/guidelines/criteria are for sending messages?

For me, I did a search for the posts by a member (click magnifying glass, then the "more" button, then put his user name in "Posted by Member:" field), then clicked on his user name from a found post and the option to "Start a Conversation" is there in a small overlay window (see attached screen shot).

If that's not working for you, then I would be happy to reach out to him on your behalf and link him to this thread. Maybe then he could contact you.

19. SSA

SSA Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Cambria, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Allen
    Jim Hunter is a well-known Ferrari writer, photographer, and historian. Try the following email: "[email protected]". He belongs to the Ferrari Club of America, Southwest Region and his articles appear in every issue of our bimonthly magazine "Sempre Ferrari". The current issue of "Prancing Horse", the quarterly of the FCA, has an article about Jim's photography written by Jeff Allison. If the above email address doesn't work for Jim, try "[email protected]".

20. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Thanks Dyer. Could you please reach out to him for me. Maybe if he does not have the car he will know the current owner Thanks

21. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Thanks. I will reach out to Jim and buy a book

22. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey, thank you . . . I believe it was your email that I just responded to . . .

Thought I'd share a quick note about Richie Rudiger. I tried very hard to track him down from the very outset of the project. I had a lot of help . . . but we came up empty. As I recall the word was that he was either in North Carolina or Florida, and I believe someone even produced a Florida phone number at one point, but it went nowhere and we never managed to get in touch with him. I was sorry to hear that he passed last year.

I am very interested in your story here, and would really like to know what time of year it was that the three of you went over and purchased the car from Steve.
    Also, I am curious about what appears to be a black Nardi steering wheel in the car, which to the best of my knowledge did not exist at the time you purchased the car. Is this a later photo, where you may have later updated the steering wheel? The black Nardi is, to my knowledge, a unique feature to the 1981 and 1982 2Vi cars.

Thanks

23. verde330gts

verde330gts Rookie

Jul 30, 2022
    Highlands Nc
    Full Name:
    Anthony Askew
    Richard Rudiger passed away April 26th of this year. He was living in West Jefferson NC. He once told me that his first mechanic
    Job was with Luigi Chinetti in NY or CT. Richard was one of the best Ferrari and Porsche mechanics in the US. I believe he became the Ferrari service manager for 27 years…. After he worked for Chinetti. He was hired away by Brundage Motors in Jacksonville Florida. A Porsche dealer later to be names BRUMOS. Richard developed and built many of there very early Race cars. Back in the mid 60’s and early 70’s. Then he came to Atlanta to work at FAF