Alpine announces Piastri for F1 2023 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alpine announces Piastri for F1 2023

Discussion in 'F1' started by petrol_junkie, Aug 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alpine lost 2 drivers in one day !!!

I don't know who looks after contracts at Alpine, but he/she has surely been caught napping here !!!

375+ and Hocakes like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Szafnauer: No issue in bringing Ricciardo back to Alpine F1 team
    Alpine Formula 1 team boss Otmar Szafnauer has not ruled out a return to the Enstone team for Daniel Ricciardo, should it not be able to keep Oscar Piastri.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

" Beggars can't be choosers ! " ;)

Poor Otmar, he had been snookered twice. First his ex-boss Stroll poached his best driver under his nose.

Next his "protegé" nurtured at great cost for 4 years suddenly declines a seat at Alpine.

It's a lot to take !

Thecadster and GuyIncognito like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Why is it a shady move, did he do something deceptive? To my mind he had proper representation--makes Otmar look like a fool. It's just business.

petrol_junkie and william like this.
  5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Otmar is either not well informed or oblivious to what was going on. Both are not great signs of the communication at Alpine

Bas, Boomhauer and william like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Alonso is known for being greedy, and callous. Combined with representation by Briatore - it's what you expect.

yes, F-1 is the piranha club, but a professional would at least tell the principal hour before or so - I'm going to AM, thanks sorry for the surprise, this is what i have to do. It's a coward's way to just let the announcement come out - and make others look like a fool.

If I was Renault - Alpine - I'd suspend Alonso from the rest of the season, and claw back any retainer. tie him up in legal action just for the fun of it. two can play that game.

Renault is a big company - filled with politics etc... so I'm sure that is where Otmar was caught up. ..makes him look foolish - yes, but he's still been in F-1 a long time. frankly he's done better than anyone else at Renault / Alpine....

Alonso is toxic - he'll completely screw up Aston Martin - what ever weakness there is now he'll take a flamethrower to it - Stroll will be out of AM with in a year or so / or sell to Andretti.

gh0st0 and Nuvolari like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lawrence Stroll is doing that all by himself.

stavura, LVP488, Bas and 6 others like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The only explanation I can think of, is that Otmar Szafnauer had only been at Alpine for about 6 months, so may be not aware of everything.
    Being principally concerned by the running of the team, he was maybe not aware of all the terms in the contracts, nor their deadlines, etc.. which have been signed before he came, and should be handled by the legal department.
    But now, this debacle happens under his watch, regretably (I like the guy, BTW) .
    IMO, the big let-down is Piastri who has been groomed at Alpine for a few years ( practice on last year cars, simulator hours, etc ..) and now slips through their fingers for the matter of a few days, if I read that rightly.
    After all, Alonso's contract was terminating end of this year, so that's not such a surprise, although he falsely hinted he would renew, waiting for the timing to be right before dropping his bombshell.

Alpine putting Alonso on the bench for the rest of the season would be a knee-jerk reaction, like "cutting your nose to spite your face".
    What would they get out of it?

I am so glad this isn't my problem !!

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

jcurry likes this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Briatore doing what he does best. He's behind both moves, remember he managed both Webber and Fernando, So the Piastri,s affaire is ptobably his doing also. Gotta say i loved Alonso move to the Sttollers camp, now that team has really become the team to hate!
    They just need Rueda yo be perfect.

LVP488 likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Your opinion, of course. Personally I don't hate anyone.

I think Lawrence Stroll may get more for his money with Alonso in an Aston seat rather than Vettel.

I am no fan of Alonso, but he still has some fire in him and he may bring Aston nearer to the front.

Vettel would never have done that.

bmwracer, jgonzalesm6 and Nuvolari like this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He has a lot of fire, we will soon see Aston burn to the ground!

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol, label Alonso with all kinds of adjectives then say "just for fun" give it back. That 'says it all'.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    well they would get some of his money back - and it sends a message to all the "managers" in F-1 about bad faith.

as for Szafnauer - shame on him for not knowing ... plain and simple. that is his job, drivers are the main asset along with the cars... and it impacts sponsorship, etc... its not amateur hour...

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think its pretty clear that every team he has left - its not been in a good situation. He's usually left under some kind of dispute while wrecking the team along the way. I'm not making it up - just look at the history.

moretti, crinoid and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    So true, he abdolutely wrecked Ferrari, Aldo Costa left bevause of him, and we all saw his eork at Mercedes.....

crinoid likes this.
  17. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Look for them to start having avoidable "tire problems" on their road cars soon then.

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Pierre Gasly has emerged as a candidate for an Alpine seat in 2023, which could pave the way for IndyCar driver Colton Herta at AlphaTauri.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Gasly and Ocon together at Alpine ? These too have had previous disagreements, and won't cohabit in harmony.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  21. DF1

Yes that history is not at all good. It started in Karting.

william likes this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Gasly and Ocon HATE each other so I'm not quite sure this is going to happen....

23. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Alonso knows setup and has tons of experience . His driving ability has never been in question, it is all the other nonsense that comes with him that creates rifts wherever he goes . Stroll and Alonso should provide some good entertainment

375+ likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Gasly needs to watch the movie Sideways.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  25. DF1

Ocon says tensions with Gasly are gone amid Alpine F1 links
    Esteban Ocon has indicated he would be willing to race alongside Pierre Gasly at the Alpine Formula 1 team despite their tense relationship.