360 Wont start? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Wont start?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Where's Maranello, Jul 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Small correction: The relay deactivates to remove power from specific systems during start. Here's a short technical description. The relay is numbered 92, but varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh boy, your last response makes me feel like I'm trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose. I'm trying to wrap my head around relay 92 which may be an issue. But, from todays testing, this is what I learned or didn't learn or confused me more. Last time, I checked for voltage from the solinoid trigger wire, unplugged. Had voltage all the time the ignition was on. This time, I plugged it in with a wire tapped in, (photo). Only got 12v when ignition went to the "cranking" mode. But, starter did nothing. I then touched the added wire to the 12v terminal on the starter (photo) and just sparked, didn't activate solinoid. But maybe I was scared I'd short something and didn't give it a chance. Inconclusive. Now, I think the starter is bad so I removed it from the car. Tested on the bench. Power to solinoid kicks it out. Power to starter does nothing. Power to starter and solinoid kicks out gear and spins (photo). From when I worked on old Porsches, the gear would spin with just power to the starter and not the solinoid. Now, I think the starter is good. Tested batter voltage with my "better" meter and got 13.68 (behind the seat) with the tender on it.
    Back to relay 92. It's so confusing, maybe just replacing it is a good test. But, which relay is it? None are labeled in the car.
    I appreciate all the help. I may take it to the shop soon since I feel I'm over staying my welcome on this one issue.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Shown in this photo:

[​IMG]
    For future reference, note that my wiring diagrams show the relative positions of the relays (looking towards the rear of the car). This is the "5H" block on newer cars:

The earlier cars have different numbering:

Note that the numbers are mentioned in the Owners Handbook

Don't worry, I'm just as confused as you are at this point. We have to figure out what "resistance/load" we are measuring the voltage on. If there are multiple components in series or parallel, we have to make sure we are measuring voltage at the right points. Let me recheck the circuits and see what I can come up with.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #29 Qavion, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    So, because your first test was carried out with the starter (small) plug disconnected and ignition on, you are measuring the voltage across the coil of relay 92.

I would say your first voltage checks were normal. I forgot about relay 92's affect.

With the starter plug connected and your pigtail being used, you are measuring the voltage drop across the starter solenoid (to earth). i.e. small plug disconnected and ohmmeter on starter terminal.

The voltage will vary according to the relative resistances of the coil of relay 92 and the starter solenoid.

If you got zero volts in your second test (starter lead connected and ignition on), this suggests to me a shorted starter solenoid (or at least a very low resistance).

Can you remove the starter lead and measure the resistance of the starter solenoid (i.e. terminal to a good earth).

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #30 Qavion, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    When you felt the starter relay click when you turned on your ignition, could it be possible that it wasn't the starter relay, but relay 92 next to it?

The fact that your starter didn't turn when you jumped your leads on the starter suggests to me that either the starter is faulty or you don't have enough volts to turn over the starter.

EDIT: however, that contradicts your bench tests

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What power source were you using during your bench tests? The car's battery?

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Have you had thus car on a scan tool yet? What is the F1 hydraulic system pressure?

If it is too low..the car will not start no matter what you do.

Secondly..are you absoulty sure the immobilizer is deactivated.. I have seen these units beep at they should..light goes solid..but the car is still immobilized..

You need to scan this car.

EastMemphis and flash32 like this.
  8. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have that Boxster project that I move in and out of the garage, everytime I need to open the door on the Ferrari. That battery was measuring, somehwere in the 12.5 volt area.
    Yes, I did this and the photo shows my results. I'm starting to second guess my testing so take pix of everything. Has continuity from solinoid lead to ground.
    Yea, I thought of that too. Today, I checked again and removed relay 92 and felt 91. I feel the click. Then, replace 92 and remove 91 and feel no click from 92. So then, I checked the socket where 92 plugs into. When the key is turned on, it get's 12v for about 1 second then nothing. When the key gets turned off, 12v again very quick then to no volts. Again, I'm questioning my results so I did it twice with same results.
    No scan tool so I can't see pressure. But, it is a brand new F1 pump about 400 miles ago.
    I think I've said this to myself about 5 times, so far, but maybe the relay 92 is the culprit. It got power for a second but I don't feel a click.
    As usual, Thanks for all the input.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The tcu will cut power to the starter relay if low pressure is detected. Stop wasting time. Have the car scanned. You are peeing in the wind at this point.

flash32 and knocker like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    His starter relay is clicking, Tom. The F1 TCU is sending out a start signal.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have never replaced a starter on a 360 or 430..ever. Not to say this couldn't be a first..

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #37 Qavion, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    You have all kinds of interesting/unusual things going on here. Note that relay 92 cannot click/operate with the start relay removed. When you say it got power for a second, is that literally? It stopped supplying a voltage after a second? Anyway, you could try swapping it with the windscreen wiper relay to see if that helps.

Regarding your photo... and the measurement of the solenoid resistance.

I assume the black wire isn't shorting to the case in your photo. Unfortunately, I don't have any values for the 360 starter, just what has been said previously on the forum:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/142488877/

Google tells me that it can be anything from 00.1 to 100 ohms (although some sites say 0.3 ohms is too high). I don't know how accurate your meter is. I assume your meter is showing ohms, not milliohms. Also, your starter works on the bench (at least under no cranking load). Also, we know you are getting volts at the starter during cranking when everything is plugged in.

Its almost as if your engine is frozen or the starter is not strong enough to turn the engine. Of course, the ability of the battery to supply cranking amps might still be an issue (despite how new the battery is).

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For reference, I just checked the resistance on my F355 starter solenoid and the value flickered between 0.1 and 00.0. That is, from the solenoid contact to the starter case.

The results varied slightly depending on what I used as an earth (solenoid case, starter case, etc)

14. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    I'm always for starting with the simple stuff. Earth the body of the starter with a jump lead. Swap out the battery temporarily for a known good one.

When mine did somethign similar I undid the cover plate on the rear of the solenoid ( three bolts) The solenoid core has a spring and copper disc, this disc bridges the circular terminals passing power to the motor. Mine just needed sanding clean and smooth and has been working for ten years now.

Qavion likes this.
  15. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I checked resistance twice, once in the car and again on the bech so I'm sure I wasn't grounded on the chassie. But, I ended up calling the shop, yesterday. And decided to bring it in since I was considering timing belts real soon. I appreiciate every comment and tried to apply it to the car. Some things were making my head spin. I got a few friends and neighbors, this morning, to help push it on my trailer, drove it about an hour away to the shop. About an hour after I got home, the shop called and said they figured it out. It was the starteer solenoid and said it was a fluke thing. Since they just put it in 6 months ago (maybe 500 miles).
    I started with the simple stuff a week ago and kept getting more and more complicated (for me). But I appreciate the input since it makes me re-think things.
    So the shop is only charging $300 to replace the starter, so it was something simple but sure gave some mysterious clues.
    Ian, thanks so much for hanging in there, to get this solved. I've learned a lot about these cars over the past few days.
    I will update with anything else I learn. Thanks!!!, Bob

tomw and Qavion like this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds like a good result, Bob. At least it wasn't something expensive in the F1 system. Was the labour $300 or both the starter and the labour?

We both have :D Thanks for your patience and great photos. The photos will be very useful in the future.

Where's Maranello likes this.
  17. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I’ve been watching to see the resolution, glad you got it figured out.

18. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I just replaced my oil pressure sending unit a few weeks ago (50 miles ish) and its already failed. Hopefully this is just a fluke as well and not a new trend in parts for the 360.

19. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Many of the OEM parts are just as old as the cars themselves. Age takes a toll on parts sitting on a shelf so it's likely the failure rate will only increase and spread to other, formally reliable areas.

The good news is that many of the components for these cars are made for other cars or a close twin can be adapted to fit like OEM. A good example is the siren module. The exact same model fits on a Corvette but has different firmware. One of the posters here, @gobble , updates the firmware for the Corvette one and turns it into a Ferrari one. Direct message him if you want the details.

Other parts are available from other cars, like the impossible-to-find-and-too-expensive-anyway throttle bodies for the 360. With very few tools and a lot of caution, an owner can DIY rebuild their factory units with parts from a Porsche throttle body. Another poster here (me) has an adapter to allow using the Porsche throttle bodies directly.

So lots of alternatives with more coming every year. These cars are worth keeping running and people will find a way.

20. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The shop didn't charge for labor, just the starter and sound like they covered part of the starter. $300 in total. The shop just called and the part came in and car is ready. I'll go tomorrow morning and get it.
    Yea, that makes sense. Hopefully, I got the newest version with low miles out of a crashd car. But, sound like the starters are good units. Yea, I've seen YT videos were parts from other cars will work and are the same. No prancing horse on the part and it's half the price or less. But good info to know. I've had the car for about 1.5 years so expect more parts in my future. Thanks.

Qavion likes this.
  21. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Glad it’s resolved without too much pain.