Co-pilot jumps/falls from plane | FerrariChat

Co-pilot jumps/falls from plane

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BJK, Aug 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #1 BJK, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #2 BJK, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    'Movie of the week' theory: love triangle >>> he was pushed or body dumped. :eek:

..... but more likely, he was inspecting damaged landing gear, no safety strap, plane bounces and fell? ;)

tritone likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very strange.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "How was the landing strut damaged in the first place?"
    One report stated that happened on a prior landing attempt at another field.
    I think this sounds likely..... " but more likely, he was inspecting damaged landing gear, no safety strap, plane bounces and fell?".......

Still waiting to hear from the other pilot........o_O

BJK likes this.
  5. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    I suspect there is more to this story...

tritone likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It appears that there are two doors on that airplane, one aft of the flight deck and one aft of the cabin. Could the copilot have gone aft to check the right LG and opened the door? Why is the pilot silent about this? Strange.

tritone likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    at 8:00 in above vid, he states that side doors cannot be opened in-flight. Must be removed prior.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I bet he shot himself in the back of the head on the way down too.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Then that leaves two things; the ramp and the pilot. And how was the right hand LG removed and when ? Some big questions here.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #12 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  12. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Ever meet the guys that parachute every week?

a little crazy

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Cant find it now, but there was a security video that captured the sound, sobering what a body sounds like hitting something at 120 or so mph.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My niece was running near the foot of one of the Towers on 911 and talking on her phone telling what was happening when she said that the sounds that we were hearing were bodies of jumpers hitting ground near her. Loud, flat BAM.

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    OMG Bob, she must carry some emotional trauma over this horrific beyond description event. Here is something I found that explains this through people who were there that day. It galls me that it only takes one person to cause so many so much pain. Today it is Putin.

Here is a link if you care to read it. I promise you it will not be uplifting.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-it-have-felt-like-to-fall-out-of-the-World-Trade-Center-on-9-11-Would-the-impact-have-been-painful

I am answering this question anonymously because as a rescuer who witnessed dozens of people jump and fall from the towers it is something that I still have nightmares about 19 years later. Although no one will ever know how these innocent civilians felt contemplating their choice of jumping or burning to death, one can only imagine that it must have been a horrendous decision to make. I can share with you that some of the people seemed to simply fall from the towers as they were backing away from the flames that engulfed the area behind them. Others made a deliberate decision to jump out of the building to escape the horrors they were eventually going to face. There were others who would hold hands with another person and simply jump. I witnessed one group of 4 or 5 people holding hands as they fell to their deaths. Although I can’t imagine the thought process that went through their minds when they were forced to make this choice or what they were thinking during the time they were falling, but I can assure you that they died immediately on impact and did not suffer. The suffering took long before their instant death. Although this was a dark question, I chose to answer it as a type of therapy for myself. As I indicated earlier I suffer from flashbacks and nightmares on a daily basis asking myself questions like this all the time. I hope this helps.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My niece worked in a building near by and she watched many jumpers come down and it deeply shocked her, she's not over it to this day. She told me that during the clean up that she saw barges loaded with bodies being towed across the river to refrigerated warehouses. She, too, has never been able to shake this event from her system. Those who jumped felt nothing at the end of their journey because I have had 4 incidents where I was subjected to major impact and you don't feel a thing .....until you regain consciousness and then the confusion, nausea, headaches, blurred vision, detachment from reality, and total weakness take over. Followed by weeks of incoordination and misery. Airplanes, football, motorcycles, and autos can be very accommodating if you get involved.

GatorFL and Jacob Potts like this.
  17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Forgive me if I got carried away and over did my past experiences. I some how have gotten away without any long term damage from the concussions that I had, although my wife claims that isn't true.

afterburner and tantumaude like this.
  18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Your memory is way better than mine.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Bob you are what we hope to be like, but it's really only the good genes that create that.

I bet you have some good stories and sorry for the drift but tell us about your accidents and football Valor.

tantumaude likes this.
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I would probably bore you with all of my stories because I'm the original Atom....I make up everything. I was so intellectual when I went to Duke that I rode my iron horse without a helmet or leathers (except my trusty flight jacket). I put the bike down several times and tested the roadbed with my head to see if the aggregate was properly hardened. I guess that it was. Flight jacket lost its nice brown finish on the right sleeve and back and it had such character that somebody stole it. In 1949 I shared our Spring Break trip home with my room mate and two other Florida kids. My roommate had just taken over the driving duties from me when he had a head on collision with a wrong way driver, both cars doing about 55 mph. We got hit by a 1949 Packard Battleship and I went through the windshield (no seat belts then) . I don't know how long I got but in the process I crushed the aluminum glove compartment door, ripped off the hood release knob under the instrument panel, and some how took off the window crank on the door. Big bump on my forehead, broken blood vessel in my right thigh, and slightly separated a rib from the sternum. No cuts or facial damage but hair full of broken glass. The aftermath was comical because the ambulance crew couldn't detect any breathing after they hauled me out under the steering wheel column and left me in the ditch. After caring for the injuries of the other kids they came to collect me and I was gone. They finally heard something thrashing around in the adjacent cornfield and there I was trying to walk home. I have no memory of anything after the collision until I woke up in a country doc's office being stitched up. We were then sent to a local fleabag where we tried to make calls to get transport of some kind. I finally had to beg enough money for a bus ticket and I rode the bus for two agonizing days to get home. This happened almost near the border of South Carolina and Georgia and in 1949 there wasn't much in the way of emergency care for travelers. I really think that somebody is watching over me because I should been killed in this one. I played football for three years when I shouldn't have but I loved it. I was "heavy" at 148 but I could run fast and usually bounced off people . I played for a semi-pro team in Sarasota for two years and made the mistake of playing my last game the night before I got married. Managed to get knocked out twice and that ended my football days. No valor at all. I caught seven passes for good gains but I dropped every one of them. So, that's my big boring story that has no bearing on anything. But when I'm sitting back resting at times, I can go back and take a look at a lot of stuff....some of it is funny, too.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Memories is just about all that I have now. When the hot weather hit here last week it occurred to me that I started basic training at Sheppard Field, Tex. on Aug 4th, 78 years ago. I remember that it was 104 deg. and stayed hot for the next month. They never slowed anything down, either. Lister bags on every intersection on the base and your canteens were checked to make sure you were drinking enough. We made a 20 mile hike to bivouac and field maneuvers when it was 108.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I shouldn't expand on this but I thought of things that haven't surfaced for years. I was thinking about the cursory treatment that we received in the little town in which we were dumped after the crash. The town doctor's office had a big plate glass window facing the street and we were the object of the entire town that night as we were scattered all over the floor and couch. My roommate that was driving was in bad shape after hitting the windshield center post and taking out the rear view mirror (a 1949 Dodge that his dad gave to him). He had 60 stitches in the right side of his head, a fractured right knee, chest injuries, and a concussion. The girl riding in the back seat had a concussion and the other kid also was out of it from a cal. 22 rifle that was on the shelf behind them. After getting our band aides we were taken to a seedy hotel and dropped there. We had no money or luggage, no idea where that went, so someone made some phone calls. The driver's dad was a well to do type and he showed up the next day, put his son in his Caddy and drove off leaving the rest of us, who lived near them, standing there. All of us nowadays would have been put in the hospital but we were staggering around in bloody clothes the next day trying to find a way home. I have no memory of how the other kids got home but we all made it somehow. Many years later after getting a thorough physical for something, the doctor asked me how I got the fractured ribs. The only answer was possibly the collision, Couldn't think of anything else and I do remember not being able to inhale except with short shallow repetitive breaths for hours after the incident. Okay, I'll quit, it's out of my system.

23. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    When men were real men Bob....

VAF84, tantumaude and Texas Forever like this.
  24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Bob love your stories, can you post a picture of you on your "iron" horse? I have to think you have one around somewhere....what bike was it? year, make, model etc. Those bikes from that era are interesting, did you shift with your hand or foot?