I Just Bought An 812 Super Fast | FerrariChat

I Just Bought An 812 Super Fast

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ferrari FXX, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Gentlemen and ladies. Hello it's been a minute since I posted. Just wanted to know a few things. I bought my first Ferrari when I was 43. A 458 Italia I still have her with a smuge over 16k miles. She's a garage queen now.

So Im turning 50 in September and I pulled the trigger on an 812. It has 1,800 miles on it. I saw the car and fell in love with it. Bought it from the same guy who sold me my 458. I bought the car 3 weeks ago. I won't take delivery until about another 2 weeks because I'm having a new detached garage built behind the house. It's almost completed.

I'm nervous typing this and I'm just nervous getting this car. Ferrari once said, "My V12s are the real Ferraris". My dealer and the shop manager there told me the 812 is another worldly beast from the 458.

What the hell did I just buy? I'd love your opinions.

otakki, Enzo Belair, 430jm and 2 others like this.
  2. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I went from 458 then 488 and now I've got an 812SF for over a year. The 812 is in a totally different league to my other Ferraris and IMO will go down in history as one of Ferrari's true all time greats. Its an amazing car which feels alive at all speeds and has the special X factor.
    You won't regret buying one as long as you pay it some respect until you get used to it. Its a wild stallion compared to the tamed horses of the 458/488.

wrs, AMN, 430jm and 3 others like this.
  3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    This post is worthless without pics!

wrs, italiafan, plastique999 and 2 others like this.
  4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The 812 is a beast, and it is very rewarding to tame. It’s going to be a completely different experience to your 458 in many ways. The 812 commands your attention at all times when driving at speed, and will make you feel very alive taking it through corners. It is far more agile than people would think looking at it. Sure I can send my F8 through the same roads faster, but the 812 feels far more rewarding (and sounds better too). Best suggestion is getting used to rear steer, as it will be a very different way to drive through turns than without. Once you build confidence with it you can really rotate the car and that’s when you’ll notice just how fantastic the car is. If I want to feel alive I’ll drive the 812, if I want to set lap times I’ll drive the F8

wrs, italiafan, Flea7 and 2 others like this.
  5. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The (maybe?) last best V12, pulls very hard in any gear under 7 all the way to that 9000 redline. Putts around town if requested to do so, but truly turns into a different animal above 6k.

enjoy

wrs, italiafan and Ferrari FXX like this.
  6. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Treat the 812 with respect and you'll love it. It's indeed a completely different beast to the very friendly 458.
    The 812 is like an old uncle that used to be a prize fighter or a bear. They can be very friendly and cuddly when treated calmy. But piss them off (punch the throttle, throw the steering wheel around) and hold on for dear life as it can kill you!
    But that's actually the appeal....!
    Besides that, there are a ton of threads regarding the differences, have a read and congrats. You bought yourself a piece of automotive history!

wrs and italiafan like this.
  7. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I went from 458 Italia to the 812SF...what a huge difference in a car. Actually, the build quality in the 812 seems superior to the 458.. I did not think there would be a difference within the brand itself. But the 812 is the brand's flagship not including Icona cars. I call this car my Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde. It can be sooo comfortable driving around town in traffic, but if you want the other side of the spectrum on this car, go manual mode, race mode, and this car becomes a loud symphony of trumpets. The sound of this V12 is like nothing I have heard before. It's incredible, you will love this car. Just a very very different car than your mid-engine. Post the pics soon!!

wrs, 430jm and italiafan like this.
  8. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    let the tires warm up, put it in race mode, let it rip to 9k!

wrs and italiafan like this.
  9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Mine now has about 1100 km on the clock, never reved it more than 5000 rpm, perhaps for a ms 6000 rpm.
    I'm curious reving her higher.

Daniel

FORZA 62 likes this.
  10. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I think its time to go to 9k!

11. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    TF!?
    You must be joking right!?
    If not, shame on you!

SeattleStew likes this.
  12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Not joking.

User manual says : max 5000 rpm the first 1000 km.
    So i did.

Daniel

Jljr and Jordan68 like this.
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It says that more to protect the inexperienced driver than the drivetrain...the drivetrain can take full revs anytime the fluids are warmed...if it was truly necessary the ECUs would intentionally restrict revs...

And.....the ECUs automatically inhibit full power until after the first 500-600 miles are driven, then the power is let out more and more, once at 2000 miles or so, the engine will let out full power.

wrs likes this.
  14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I floor all my cars from day 1 and have never had a problem. I even asked the owner of my dealer about it when I took delivery of my F8. Can’t remember what it said like take it easy for 1000 miles or something and he said most of my customers wouldn’t put that many miles on for 4 years!

LOL! Drive it like you stole it!

wrs and dolphins08430 like this.
  15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Who reads the manual anyway!?

Never heard anyone do it let several dealers advise it. That holds true to road and racers. You let the fluids warm up and rip it.
    It’w what it was designed for.
    The warranty also doesn’t mention any issue when you floor it right away.
    So enjoy what this car is all about right now!

wrs likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Even so, you should have 100 km at near redline! :)

SirTony76 likes this.
  17. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I have the same combo. I literally can’t choose which one to drive. Doesn’t matter; absolutely, two best cars I’ve ever encountered.

18. haithman

haithman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2004
    Oh man you haven’t really experienced that V12 yet then!

wrs likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    good work post pics when you get them

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I just added two more years of warranty on mine. I can't believe I have had the car that long. Anyway, I plan to have it for at least two more years. It's a keeper.

21. Jljr

Jljr Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Miami Beach
    I did same and agree-a keeper.

wrs likes this.