812 Replacement Rumors | Page 67 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Can the “window cleaner” or “garbage collector” corroborate this ? That would be 3 v reliable sources ….

savio.79 and kazuya369 like this.
  2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Sounds like some sort of KERS system which wouldn’t be a surprise given Ferrari’s involvement in F1.

3. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    May I ask who are / were the 3 reliable sources?

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agree with you, seemingly every new car is the supposed last V12. All I can see happening is possible engine down sizing and a sort of KERS system. At 6.5 litres the current V12 is unlikely to increase in displacement so the only way I can realistically see there being more power extracted is either turbo's, very unlikely in my view of a hybrid system.

The recent exemption of sorts I think will help Ferrari and others and quite possibly the world will realise that technically batteries are not the answer by the time that exemption ends.

As for the 812 replacement...my feeling is a variant of the Roma with a V12...

5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Probably a 48V mild hybrid.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a36331077/48-volt-hybrid-system-explained/

mazim01 likes this.
  6. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I agree with you. IMO the 812 replacement will use either the 812c engine in a more civilised way or a brand new engine with lower displacement and some form of electrical assistance , the latter would seem more plausible imo it would be tough to justify using the same engine for a further few years and I don’t see them enlarging the displacement in this regulatory environment wither

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    For me what is positive is that Ferrari have achieved the near impossible with the 296, a much smaller engine but it still has that "emotion" and sound so I think we can all be very positive about any future V12's in light of that.

mthompson2376 and BILLYS62 like this.
  8. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    The Aventador successor will be V12 with a hybrid system and it's not going to be slower than the SF90 - that would be pointless for Lambo. The SF90 has shown that the next generation of supercars will get a significant bump in horsepower. And they will need that - not that straight line performance matters too much, but if you loose out every drag race against a comparably cheap EV it would be somehow embarrasing.

So no way the 812 successor will only get a small bump in hp and a mild hybrid with 34 hp to help it start. They want to be selling this car for a few years and I'm very sure it will be competitive.

rossodino and nmcclure like this.
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Until electrified mules appear, all we can presume is simply that, small bump in hp...and for a rumored reveal in less than 18 months...time is running out for any possibility of a hybrid V12 for the 812 successor...because there are currently no electrified test mules...

10. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I suspect we will get more clarity towards the end of the year as to what the engine might be… hopefully!

JTSE30 likes this.
  11. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I’d be shocked if Ferrari were to release an 812 replacement with the same engine ( + 10/15 hp) with the aim of selling that car for maximum profit for a further few years, it wouldn’t be a credible proposition

12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    In my opinion, be prepared to be shocked...

To be fair, the 812SF was rated at 789hp (800PS), so if it became 819hp or 829hp that would be +30 or +40 in the power, plus a new redline (9500?), the F12 to 812 was +60hp or so, but, the F140 6.5 V12 is maxxed out so there is not much they can do with that to increase the power.

It will not simply be +10/15hp.

The aim of selling such a car would be it is a pure V12, Ferrari already (May 2019) "crowned" the SF90 as the new top model, displacing the 812 (that's why the 812SF was cancelled a year later, lack of orders/sales).

Unless Ferrari has a major secret that is yet to be officially known, there will be only the V12, no hybrid (beyond possible mild-hybrid which I doubt unless it is exists on the FUV)...so, the 812 successor will be like the grandfather who is still athletic but unable to compete with the "newer engine family members"...

And, something to think about, if the F167 was going to be a hybrid, then it would also be used in the FUV, the "M" version, so, that would be 2 opportunities to see electrified test mules..still, none exist....

gliazzurri and Forza Scuderia like this.
  13. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I hear you maybe you’re right. However if they make that car a V12 with gpf of course plus make it a lot quieter as required fir all new cars registered from 2024 onwards I’m not sure whether it will still tick the box of “pure V12” and how it would be materially different from a brand new hybrid v12 with lower displacement that would deliver better performance and reduction in CO2 emissions which seems to be direction Ferrari is also keen to follow. And frankly would the purists who are excited about pure V12 be convinced by a proposition which has both gpf and a quiete exhaust only because it’s a V12 ?

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Excellent questions, the FUV reveal should "tell us" a lot about the F167 engine (displacement, power, etc), I would expect the F167 to be nearly identical, other than sound. Because, 2024 bring new EU quiet level, and I presume "hot tubes" will be used to pipe intake sounds to the passenger cabin...because outside it will be rather boring...

And, honestly, since the V12 is no longer the top model (never again), will the F167 become more of a "first tier" model like the Roma or Portofino? It is confusing why there will be any interest in it at all given that the 812SF disappeared due to it losing its "top tier" ranking. The 812GTS manages to survive on it being the first regular production spider in 50 years, so, maybe the F167 will be open top only? @day355 did indicate we would all be talking about the roof...So, to me, it is beginning to look like the F167 will be the Roma successor for looks/pricing and 812SF successor for engine...afterall, wasn't there a Roma spider due to be revealed soon? But, no mules? Hmm...

15. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I can't imagine and I do not hope that Ferrari has given up on the 812 successor as being the "top of the line" GT car. Sales were slower bc (in my huble opinion) the car has less classic lines than its predecessor F12. SF90 is a faster car but that was a new platform. Looking at all the SF90s for sale I assume that it looses its appeal faster than the 812... and again, no point in launching a non-competitive car in 18 months time which they want to sell for a few years at a high price point.

16. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Just be aware that the Aventador replacement will be extra special from what I am hearing. And looks will be outrageous. Agree above that if Ferrari just launch a "updated" 812 with around 810hp this will set them way back in the HP stakes. Some might not care but others will IMO. It also seems adding 150-200hp electric these days is becoming relatively simple and Ferrari has now done it twice.

17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I seem to recall years ago that the eventual 812 successor was to be more of an "gentleman" GT, going back to classic lines (i.e. opposite direction than Lamborghini in terms of visual design)... not many ever cross-shopped an 812 and Aventador, however, in January it was written by @day355 that the F167 would be hybrid...
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148320555/

just keep us guessing for now

mepassione and RamsHmb like this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    @MDEL
    any video from the same time as those images were captured?

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Unfortunately no. Autogespot is mainly pictures

20. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Why would Ferrari NOT add the 296 hybrid unit to the 812 successor!?

Tech is there, instant HP increases, CO2 gains, etc, etc. It would make perfect sense for Ferrari to do so. Very little additional development in bolting those 2 units together. I know it sounds a bit simple, which I'm sure isn't, but Ferrari also doesn't have a Volkswagen backing them up. They are forced to shop within their own range.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it would no longer be a successor in the V12 range. All kinds of debates could be had, but if they end up dropping the V12 altogether, they might replace the gap with a Roma Hybrid, but I’m not sure about the successor moniker. Forgive me if I’m being pedantic. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    LuxRes likes this.
  23. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Willing to bet a hefty sum the successor will have a V12......!

24. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yup! :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat