F430 Spider Elastics Replacement | FerrariChat

F430 Spider Elastics Replacement

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by ditpixs, Aug 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hi Friends,

I think the time has finally come to replace the elastics in my F430 Spider's top.

Has anyone has someone in Nor Cal do this and any rough estimate on price?

I am also considering doing it myself, but would love if someone who has done it might consider helping me with the endeavor... I'm located in Tracy.

Thanks
    Aaron

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I replaced all 14 elastic bands on my 360 Spider (same exact capote mechanism) and wrote up a rather long and boring article describing the process. Essentially, it's an easy stand up job (as in you're standing up doing the job) that costs almost nothing. It does require a bit of sewing so if you've never held a needle, it can be painful, literally.

Here's a link: https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/09/capote-elastic-bands-and-more.html

ditpixs likes this.
  3. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the great write up. I think I’ll take it on and put my wife’s surgical skills to use for the sewing :)

If I get stuck, I may be back with questions.

Thanks
    Aaron

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hi John (@EastMemphis)-

Thanks for the great write up. I was able to get my elastics swapped out this weekend and things seem to be improved! Wife was out of town, so I the sewing isn’t MD level, but it should suffice :)

For anyone taking this on, I would recommend some thin double-stick tape to reattach the long fabric loop back to the bar. I removed the factory tape and just used something I had laying around. The gorilla tape used to reattach the canvas at the end is too thick for this task.

Also, I found it interesting my measurements of the elastic were shorter than what John found by an inch or two so be sure to do your own. And the elastics which help the canvas fold were definitely the problem and more worn than the headliner ones.

Attaching a few detail pics of the rivets which need to be drilled at the front of the top with the cable routing, as well as a few other pics.

Thanks again!!
    Aaron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis likes this.