360 spider says roof not up or down, so can't put it in gear | FerrariChat

360 spider says roof not up or down, so can't put it in gear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jerryf, Aug 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    Does anyone know where the switch or switches that tell whether the roof is fully up or down are located? My 360 has the roof display on the dash on and I can't put the car in gear. After cycling the roof a couple of times the display was still on. I restarted the car and the display was clear, now it goes into gear. Later the same issue recurs so I'm thinking there is a microswitch that is going bad. Am I correct or is there something else? Thanks!

EastMemphis likes this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's probably a microswitch that needs adjustment. They're very simple devices that typically last the life of the car. There's quite a few of them though and they are tricky to find. @Qavion has a wonderful electrical diagram of the capote system. If you search his postings, you'll find it or maybe he'll chime in here with a link. I suggest getting an OBD scanning device that can read the switches in the capote. A free one that's an Android app (EOBD Facile) connects with a $15 dongle on Amazon and allows you real time data on the switches. The OBD trouble codes for the capote should steer you in the right direction and with the electrical diagram, should make it possible to solve this issue.

As a side note, something caused that microswitch to stop reporting correctly. Did you recently have an incident with the capote? Perhaps a failure closing it or anything? The capote mechanism is something that should never be pushed, prodded or forced. If it doesn't close perfectly on its own, then it needs to be fixed.

The good news about the capote is that it's very DIY friendly. If you put your mind to fixing the thing, know that it can be fixed by mere mortals.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You will need a scan tool to see which switch is giving the wrong signal..not open or closed at the correct time..

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The workshop manual says that with the engine running and the car at rest, if the engine lid is opened without pressing the brake pedal, the gear is automatically disengaged and shifted to neutral. There is also an input into the Roof ECU from the engine lid switches. An open engine lid will prevent the roof opening.

However...
    1) will an open engine lid put on the roof warning light?
    2) I can't find an input into the F1 TCU from the engine lid switch in the wiring diagrams. There is an input from the lid switch to the instruments (for the lid open warning) and to the Roof ECU and to the Immobiliser ECU. Perhaps this "lid open" data is sent on CAN Busses?

Anyway, I would also expect an engine lid open warning on the instrument displays if that was a cause, so I'm really quite baffled (if you're not also getting this).

For info, if the lid is open, this puts an earth on a wire going to the Roof ECU upper plug (pin 5). If the wire colours are visible, this will be a blue/grey wire.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you're not getting an engine lid open warning, then I don't understand why the roof should interfere with gear selection.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    It's not the lid that I can tell. That seems to work correctly. I'm getting the roof open graphic on the dash display. I'll keep digging...

Qavion likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the engine lid warning light is not coming on, it may just be coincidence. If the car is currently changing gears correctly, perhaps you could start the car, open the roof a little and see if you can change gears (car below 5kph). That way you prove the two are not connected. Then we can treat each problem individually.

I have charts to show which switches to check at various stages of roof opening/closing, but it's a long list. Sometimes it's just easier to take it to a dealer with a Ferrari SD tool.