360 - Saving a Stradale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Saving a Stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by duck.co.za, Apr 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Ha .. I appreciate that.

2. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    armedferret, E60 M5 and Mikestradale like this.
  3. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    How are you rotating the cam?

Are you able to rotate it and lock it into place by yourself?

5. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The good old Ferrari way !! With a vice grip . I cut a short piece of old belt to slide in-between the pulleys before I camp them . Then you can turn the cam with a spanner at the other end as long as the vernier pulley bolts are loose .

6. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Nice work man!! but that looks like it is a real PITFA do. :D

7. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is , considering I have only done one cam !! Hopefully the others will go easier now .

8. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Subscribed. Nice one Dave.

9. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    #34 ItalGerBrit, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    How far off was the intake cam on the pass side? I recently checked mine and it was in spec, barely, with original scribe marks all lined up after setting it at true TDC with the degree wheel. What a huge PITA mainly because of the awkward and tight access to get the dial gauges lined up. Did it with intake in place but I suspect it will be tricky in the car no matter how you do it. After the struggle with the pass side, I blew off the driver side check assuming that the same factory tech set up the driver side cam timing. The car ran great with a nice exhaust crackle and pop so good enough for me. Blew off the driver side cam timing.
    Glad that I did do it, even if only half way, because I learned a lot along the way. What did I learn? It is just an engine. Saw a comment just today that said something like "forget about the badge on the car. It will mess with your head". Misquoted for sure but it it so true. Nothing magic. Just a car. Having said that, I have a three pedal Modena so two of the biggest 360 headaches do not apply to me.
    I always enjoy seeing DIY repair and service pictures on 360s. I do not feel as crazy and alone!

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Love the ambitious project...looking forward to following your progress. Best wishes for a fun project and satisfying end result.

11. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Someone else who has done it :) you understand the time it takes . I did it on my 308 and what a sweet engine that turned out to be . So hoping the same attention to detail will pay off here .

f355spider likes this.
  12. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you

13. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looking good my friend

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The difference between perfect cam timing is very noticeable, in fact it can be as much as +/- 40hp gain/loss between a really badly setup one and a perfectly setup one. You can very easily feel the difference right away and it perfectly compliments the work I've invested in custom engine software that takes advantage of the benefits of spending this time to do it just right. Making sure its perfectly balanced bank to bank will pay dividends for smoothness, performance and longevity as well as engine torque, each bank won't be fighting each other. The factory permitted tolerances for this job are just woeful because not all Ferrari mechanics are "equal"....

Bas and RANDY6005 like this.
  15. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looking forward to all your custom engine software and it is the motivation to get this perfect , thanks Trev

360trev and RANDY6005 like this.
  16. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Finally an update, drove it again today. With a stripped out interior only one seat and the engine firewall cover not installed. It was hot and seriously loud!!! I must do a radiator flush, gearbox oil and brake fluid change. Then it's ready for Trev to do his magic on the ECU's. I will fit the Stradale MAF's and carbon airbox covers when the software upgrade is done. Then to strip the interior for the Stradale paint finish inside.
    I have a 360 Spider in the workshop that Trev is also going to do his magic on the ECU's. Really looking forward to the result.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, clean512 and RANDY6005 like this.
  17. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looking good

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    God's work!

19. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My CS rear silencer box side covers look yellow, I assume this is from the heat? Can I confirm they should be silver plated? Randy?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Brushed stainless use a good metal cleaner they should look new just my 2 cent worth.

Bas likes this.
  21. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    interesting , thanks

22. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bas, 360trev, RANDY6005 and 1 other person like this.
  23. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Awesome thread! Looking forward to the updates. This makes me really want to fix my cars timing myself, but I am afraid to tackle that job on my own.

24. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Your car is just beautiful and the reason I am considering going stripe less . Doing the cam timing with the motor in the car is hectic , I will never do it again . It took me hours of checking and re checking , so much easier with the motor out . Fortunately my Stradale motor has already been removed from the chassis . So when I get around to doing that motor it will be so much easier and will be even more accurate .
    So I have effectively only driven around the block since I did the cam timing , but I can already feel the motor is so much crisper . Cant wait to do Trev's stage 2 tune with the CS MAF's and cat delete , going to be a proper screamer .

Kev636 likes this.