599 Clutch | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 Clutch

Discussion in '612/599' started by Daytona86, Jun 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know a bit gloomy, but a healthy dose of reality

2. GasAdams

GasAdams Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gas Adams
    My 2007 had a rough life prior to me. 24,000 miles and 75% used on the clutch. No issues with it at all and I'll drive it until it starts acting up. It's a consumable IMHO, so it might as well be fully used.

Skidkid likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    We are on the same page. Most drive their cars so little that the difference is 10 years or 11 years until a clutch change, and likely more than that. Just like you do, I will play with my toys and worry about it later. In the case of a clutch, much later and maybe never. :)

FerrariFinally likes this.
  4. FerrariFinally

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Maybe your car had some track days and some really spirited driving. Not necessarily rough.

To me,, that is a proper life of a car like a steed that raced in its heyday...

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Track use is actually not tough on clutches. City driving is rougher on clutches.

SpencerMarks and Skidkid like this.
  6. FerrariFinally

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I did have to think about this for a moment...so banging gears at redline approximately 6-8 times a lap for 20-25 minutes at a time with transmission temps at its limit is not going to wear the clutch prematurely?

I do understand totally the city driving in traffic and backing up a hill is the worse thing ever for the clutch though.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #32 tazandjan, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    No, it is the slipping that wears clutches. Very little wear on the clutch from banging shifts, especially since the system matches revs on upshifts and downshifts.

Incidentally, reverse is not bad at all in the 599, especially compared to the 360 and 575M, where it is almost as high as 2nd gear. First in a 599 is 3.15:1 and reverse is 2.93, pretty close and not enough to worry about rapid clutch in reverse.

FerrariFinally and SpencerMarks like this.
  8. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    One thing that you should think about.

Very often the throw out bearing gets leaking with the years.
    So you have to open the system to install a new throw out bearing.
    Mostly this is the time to install a new clutch also.

In that cases, the clutch often has wear, but labor costs more to open the system again some time after the new throw out bearing was necessary/installed.

my opinion :
    Clutch is good for 70-80.000 Km at normal use and driven with brain.
    Throw out bearing is good for same km, but risk of leaking at about 12 years (or some more)

So you can calculate what happens earlier at your car, and i'm sure, most will have situation nr 2 first, a leaking throw out bearing.
    So better not to think about the clutch wear.

When it get's time, it get's time.

Daniel

Skidkid likes this.