458 Brake Recall notice and software update | FerrariChat

458 Brake Recall notice and software update

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Yes I know there are serveral pages on brake failure here, but here is my question:

They are saying it needs a software update regarding brake warning messaging. I recall some time ago advice about not to have some sort of software update because it would or could change the exhaust note. Is my memory correct on that? I love the sound of the 458, the popping etc of the exhaust as you let off the throttle and do not want to loose that in any updates they might do. My thought are they might decide to do that update as well etc.

I am wondering if I can just have them send the brake cap if that is the issue rather than the complete aggravation of having to send the car in, and also having them inadvertently changing something I don't want changed, i.e. the sound. Thoughts?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is a great point and question - I received the same letter and was actually asking about this way back in November when it made the press. By no means take this as gospel but in speaking to my dealer I think the "software update" is simply to clear any codes/warnings generated by the cap issue - so essentially they replace the cap - clear the codes and update the software to avoid any false alarms - probably update the OBD history to show that the recall was completed and that's it. I, like you, absolutely would not want anything done to alter the sound or performance of the car - i.e. shift timings, exhaust openings etc. Believe me I will - and would suggest - strongly reiterating this to your dealer when you take the car in.

As far as them just sending you the cap, I would imagine (again - could be wrong and not a lawyer) that from a liability standpoint the Dealer must perform the repair - no matter how menial - to a) prove it was done - b) done properly - c) done within a specified timeframe. If they just sent out the cap they (and Ferrari) have no assurance the customer replaced the cap and did it properly - thus exposing Ferrari to lawsuits should there be an issue where the customer did not receive the cap - did not install the cap - did not install it properly.

As the letter states - and as validated by my dealer - the parts are not there yet - once they are then I will schedule the car in for the recall work and will make sure they do not change things unless they are forced to.

While there are other threads on this I think the point you are bringing up is excellent and has not been fleshed out - @ Moderator obviously feel free to move to/combine with the other thread but I sincerely appreciate the OP bringing this forward.

Cheers :)

ShadowLAP likes this.
  3. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Response I got from my local dealer:

The letter is a notification of an identified concern with a select number of cars. We don’t have the replacement parts yet, there will be another letter letting you know we can schedule an appointment. It’s is safe to drive the car, but if you do see a warning sign for brake fluid, please let us know.

4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pretty much the same thing I got back when I let them know I received the letter - Back in November they said "we checked your car when it was in here and it was ok - more to follow" - Now that the letter specifies my VIN I tend to think I am in scope for the recall/repair but guess we will see. The letter also says to pull over and call Ferrari Roadside Assistance should the "low brake fluid" warning appear so I am driving the car as usual but obviously wary of any such warning. Not sure how responsive FRA will be so if it happens and they are not immediately responsive I will just call my own local tow company whom I and FoD trust/use and figure out the tow charges later. Cheers :)

5. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    The exhaust note issue is only with 2010 and 2011 models (I think). May only be 2010. Starting in 2012 they updated software before delivery to stop the popping (so sad). I had a 2010 that sounded awesome but had too many issues so I sold it.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It may be some hearsay that I picked up along the way, reading about this issue, but I think I remember talk about the software change being a change in what the message on the dash says if the brake fluid is low. Also, I think they made the low brake fluid level alert the driver sooner, when the level drops.
    Like I said, it's all hearsay at this time, but that doesn't mean that there is no truth to it. As far as I'm concerned, since the only part of the fix that corrects the actual "problem" is the reservoir cap, I would be ok just ordering a cap for a few bucks and installing it, and be done.

SD455TA likes this.
  7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What were the issues??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    The 2010 model had tons of crackle and pops from the factory but US law changed around. 2011 to not allow that. So Ferrari changed the software for newer models and sent update out for 2010 (and maybe 2011 models). So on your next service - they would update the software then crackle and pops gone. When I had my 2010 - I put notes all over the car when I took it into service that said “do NOT upgrade software”.

9. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Issues with 2010? Had 3 major repairs in less than 12 months. Biggest was air intake valves sticking (warped) - which was discussed on another thread here. Cost me about $10k to fix but someone else found a much cheaper fix more recently but took a long time to figure it out. I bought it used and don't think the prior owner took good care of it.

10. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    Just had recall work completed.

Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale just completed my brake recall for 2012 458. They charged me for brake fluid replacement and added an air filter to my annual basic
    Service which is typically 900.00 and this time with the air filter added and brake recall work done , bill went up to just under $ 2,400.00 . When I asked my advisor why service went from 900.00
    To 2,400.00 he said

“ During this visit we also replaced the brake fluid and engine air filter. Our hourly labor rate has also increased by $40.00 “

Is it really a free recall if they charge so much for brake fluid replacement .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I’m confused. If we’re only doing the brake cap fix is there any charge? Or did you opt to have additional maintenance done?

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I didn't know there was an official fix for the brake recall. Was told "they're still working on in" last I checked. A simple reservoir cap sounds too easy, maybe I stand corrected.

Other than the factory recall, find a good independent who can do this work at a fraction of the cost, or DIY. I track my car and change or bleed fluid about 6x per year, using Castrol SRF. I go through pads quickly too.

Also, I buy air filters on line ($220) and do it myself. Not that hard - a Torx will do it and you can go further and clean the intake as well.

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I spoke with my dealer last week- It's a cap and they clear the codes if any were present. Zero cost- If I choose/ask to have my annual or other work done at the same time to minimize trips/appointments that's on me.

They are still waiting for parts and any further specific direction from Ferrari as to whether all owners who received the letter are in scope or not.

When I spoke with them in November they said they checked mine and I was fine- But then I got the letter with VIN on it so at least currently in scope.

Will see- Cheers

14. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    The software update only affects when your brake fluid loss red light warning comes on.
    It is changed to come on earlier instead of when the fluid loss is at 48%.
    It will not alter your your engine mapping in your Ecu.
    So if you have a 2010-2011 your pops and bangs will still be there on over run.

15. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Talked to my dealer - Parts are in - I am taking mine in on Tuesday - takes them about 3 hours to complete - Bring your owner's manual because they provide a sticker to prove it was done. It is no cost to the owner - they don't flush/replace the brake fluid as part of the brake recall work.

My guess is that was part of your annual service - I looked back and my annual service in April of 2020 was $900 and included brake flush (fluid cost=$25). That was with a labor rate of $170/hr @ 3.5 hours = $595 base cost for the Annual + various parts brought it to $899.44. Not sure what their labor rate was but if it was $170/hr and went up $40/hr then that would be $210/hr @ 3.5 hours bringing the base cost of the Annual to $735.

Anyway - No idea how/why it got to $2400 for you but it was not the brake recall.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  16. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    Shorn355

Thanks and I always understood the recall did not add to the service cost . Just pointing out the tremendous increase in my service cost at the same time i brought my car in for the brake recall.

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No worries - Totally get it - and while not my business, like I said the math does not add up if all you had done was the annual + an air filter + brake recall. From my calculations the core annual with the increased labor rate should have been $735 + $305 (perhaps more if also increased) for additional parts for the Annual totaling $1040 + $0 for the Brake Recall means that the engine air filter was $1360 - Possible I suppose but seems high - I could be wrong.

Anyway - Glad your car is all good and recall is done - Anxious to get mine done as well even though I never had any issues or warnings - still will be good to be off the list and shown as complete!

18. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Changed oil and brake flush as recommended by the dealer. Cost of annual service $1471 done last week including the above mentioned.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I can’t believe people are believing that a change in cap will fix this he problem

There is a problem, on some faulty units

Ferrari won’t change everyone’s

They are just resetting the point when the warning lights come on so as to catch the issue before a total failure

Bet you if that light then comes on Ferrari will tell you to replace all the units

Brake guild reservoir is NOT UNDER PRESSURE

The cap is just the cheapest part of the whole unit so much better to hand out 40,000 of the caps

Melvok, FFan5 and ilko like this.
  20. hotlurve

hotlurve Rookie

May 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    ian s
    i got the ph call this morning from Jardine at colchester, they told me there was a dashboard update as well….. silly me thinking that hopefully there would be an update to the god awful radio system to make it easier to navigate around !!! must be just the fault codes that they ment.

Melvok likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ha at the F1 Melbourne GP

There is a 812 competizione and low and behold it has the very SAME brake oil cap as my 488GTB !

It’s all BS

Pointed it out to the Ferrari rep

Melvok likes this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I’ll bet the dealer service departments are doing well by this recall, with so many opting for doing brake fluid flushes and other paid services at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Has anyone had this recall performed. Ferrari Silicon Valley is saying they "won't have it in their system until mid-September."

24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, already done. But at FofSF. This was for the brake reservoir cap and related firmware. I have not heard about any new brake recall affecting 458s. There was a recent recall affecting most all other recent Ferraris, but not the 458. I think the most recent was for the same cap and firmware update, but for the other cars.