What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 126 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #3126 Dane, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    I took yet another beating from this elegant, red Italian machine….three of four self-rebuilt carburetors are installed….the 2-1 cylinder carburetor (front right in the photo) is there for the photo….I hope to heck (restraint for profanity) I never do this again in my lifetime.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jmaienza and colorfull like this.
  2. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    I feel your pain. Recently did the 4 carb overhaul, and didn't remove the engine cover, which I now understand was the source of much of the pain/hassle.

Dane likes this.
  3. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's a monumental experience doing this job. I recently completed mine for the second time on my 78 GTS. Each job; removing the carbs, cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, installing the carbs and tuning the carbs is a chapter in itself. Once you get one done, you look over and realize there are three more to do. If you take the four tasks just mentioned, that's 16 things to do and by my last count there are 23 adjustments to fine tune them. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

Dane likes this.
  4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    colorfull likes this.
  5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The passenger door wouldn't "spring" open when you operated the handle (inside or outside) - 1985 QV. I thought a spring might have come off, so, off with the door cards, careful manipulation while peering in with a torch, and it all looks normal. Then I notice the locking cam wheel thing (that engages the latch) was a bit sluggish, so a spray of WD-40, and it's good as new. Should have gone straight for the spray first!

6. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #3131 Dane, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Following various source information, I had good success with synchronizing the carburetors. As it was my first time, I freely admit the process was clumsy.

However, my fuel leak from the 1-2 cylinders’ carburetor continued, specifically from the accelerator pump. I thought an old diaphragm was the cause so I replaced it during the rebuild. I reinstalled the carburetors and then found the leak was still a problem.

I concluded the pump itself was the culprit. I’m curious what others think of the interior photo of the pump shown below; not good is my thought.

So, off came the rear two carburetors to remove that single accelerator pump….I ordered another one and new diaphragm from Pierce Manifolds; what an amazing source to have.

The show will go on once that package arrives! For now, I wait in quiet anticipation…with a beer and FChat as I read tales of others actually driving their cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
  8. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I replaced the faulty accelerator pump, fired her up and found ZERO leaks.

Carbs are near synch’d.

I ordered a high vibration MSD coil to go with the MSD 6A. New plug wires will install in the next four days.

I drank a cold one.

Sent from my iPhone using the awesome FChat App.

colorfull likes this.
  9. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Love the color.

Sent from my iPhone using the awesome FChat App.

built2grind likes this.
  10. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    Very nice, may I ask where did you get your smog test? I also live in Irvine.

Joe

11. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi,
    Jamboree Smog. Corner of Grand and Fairhaven in Santa Ana. I stopped by at 8:00 am on weekday and no one else was there while my car was tested.

12. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I installed new plugs and wires and added the individual, Weber DCNF, air filter base plates.

MSD High Vibration coil is the plan for today; car has a single and distributor and coil with a recently replaced MSD 6A.

1978 GTS

colorfull and miketuason like this.
  13. bitsobrits

Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Is it a Magnetti Marelli distributor/cap?

14. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    If tuned right, these cars will pass CA smog every time. Congrats!

CA smog laws are so ridiculous. Last time I checked, the air over Kalifornia isn’t confined to the state line…… just sayin’

15. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    I unfortunately had to buff out some scratches on the 308. I was driving yesterday and a sheet of light plywood flew off of a truck going the other way. I swerved to miss it but still took a corner near the front left tire. Fortunately the rubber of the tire took the main impact. Overall I feel I was lucky as the sheet didn't hit me personally as my windows were down. I have a few light scratches that I couldn't buff out at the wheel well.

16. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
  17. bitsobrits

Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Yowza. Very classy color combo.

dyerhaus likes this.
  18. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    dyerhaus likes this.
  19. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #3144 Dane, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    A bit of a change if I may, I nominate myself for the daily Darwin Award….

As I prepared to install a new dizzy, I go to disconnect the battery…..what terminal do I disconnect when the instructions CLEARLY state, “Warning. Disconnect the negative terminal first then the positive….”

I disconnect the positive first and then hit the connector against the spare wheel bracket….blew the MSD box….$300 screw up. Thankfully, there’s Amazon for idiot moves like this.

RTFI, Dane.

20. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Looks great David. See you in San Marino?

21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    dyerhaus likes this.
  22. bitsobrits

Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area

thorn and Dane like this.
  23. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    She sparked like crazy. I can’t honestly explain it. I’ll need to do a little homework.

Perhaps my MSD box just defecated the bed, and I’m blaming myself.

24. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    #3149 Dane, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    I now believe I know what happened…Setting all pride aside, I’ll explain my mistake.

I installed a new hose and clamp near the coil. Voltage arc’d from the clamp to the coil tower which literally burnt the tower boot and the positive side of the tower. I witnessed the arc and immediately shut the engine off, but it was far too late.

This eventually caused MSD box failure; I saw where something very similar happened to another member here, but this was not due to a clamp type and positional mounting error.

Black avatar is to acknowledge my shame. Live and learn.

Attached Files:

25. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I’ve researched what type of cap I have (PO install). There are no markings that would give me any indication of brand. I’ll keep looking as I’m now curious.