Removing Capristo Exhaust | FerrariChat

Removing Capristo Exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mrjb, Aug 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Has any one got any experience or tips on removing a capristo exhaust. I’m removing my existing capristo from my 360 to fit a new one, how ever there doesnt seem to be enough clearance to tilt the silencer forward at the top (towards the air box) to free the pipes from the cats. The pipes simply foul the rear cross member behind the grill.

Am I right in thinking this can be done with out detaching the cats from the manifolds.

Any pointers appreciated.

2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Have you removed rear bumper ? What is your new exhaust system installing ?

3. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Yep bumper removed. Tail pipes removed.
    Capristo sound one being replaced by sound three..

RANDY6005 likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its like the 430 you have to let off the inlets to the cats to get wriggle room

5. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Hmm I think you might be right Mike. lot of the guides suggest you can just rotate the silencer forward and the pipes will pop off, but the shape of the capristo means it’s fouling the rear cross brace.

6. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Is it hung up on the cats. I have put everything in before with the bumper on.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  7. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Yeah it won’t pivot forward off them.

8. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Get some wd40.. the cats need to be unbolted from the manifold.

SoftwareDrone and RANDY6005 like this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    On the 430 you can remove without moving bumper,

10. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Well exhaust is out, and you do indeed need to unbolt the cats from the manifolds, to move them forward and inch or two. That then creates enough space for the exhaust to be lifted out.

Annoyingly, it looks like the undertray will need to be removed to bolt the cats back in place.

clean512 likes this.
  11. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    I've removed the Capristo box with just loosening the cats. When you put it back on, use the twisting of the cats to align the exhaust horizontally.

12. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    I tried loosening them cats and there just didn’t seem to be enough wiggle room to free the silencer pipes from them.

I’m not sure if there’s been any updates from capristo over the years. I’ll compare the two exhausts together.

13. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    I would get the valved III for sure...there will be plenty of times when a straight up III is just too effing loud.

14. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Got the 3 already. Don’t use the car that often and live in the country, so alls good :)

The valved 1/3 I’ve heard doesn’t seem to produce the F1 sound of the “standard” 3.

15. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    I have taken my muffler off my F430 many times, I did not have to remove a thing. You just need to turn it upside down tilt it on its side and come up from the left or right side.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    He is working on a 360

17. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    I know he is, I quoted you on your F430 comment "On the 430 you can remove without moving bumper,"

18. mkt

mkt Karting

Sep 22, 2010
    Wassenaar, Holland
    Full Name:
    Maurice
    I think it depends per exhaust (/muffler).
    I have the converted F430 exhaust on the 360 spider and I can remove and reinstall it without taking off the bumper. So the same would be for CS aka Racing exhaust.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G781B met Tapatalk

19. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Nearly all back together. Does anyone know what the torque of the sprung bolts on the capristo bracket should be.

Presumably they should still be able to move in the slotted openings of the bracket to accommodate any thermal expansion.

20. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I would think you would tighten them to the point that the springs compress slightly. If they rattle or buzz, tighten them a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Right almost there. Putting the bumper back on and the tips sit fine horizontally, however one is sat approximately 5mm from the top of the bumper exhaust aperture, whilst the other is pressed against the top of the bumper aperture.

the silencer is sitting centrally and perfectly level (even checked with a spirit level). Where’s the best point to adjust this from. The spring system on the capristo seems to absorb a lot of the adjustment.

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Tighten the bolts until the springs have some weight on them- you should be able to move them in the slots with good finger pressure, if too easy then nip up a bit. Better too loose at first until you have a good run and see how they do. They move about 18 mm on my 430 after a motorway run.

23. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    I must be missing something here… no amount of fiddling seems to get the exhaust tips to sit lower and they’re touching the bumper.

Its almost like the spring supports are too tall.

24. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Exhaust is all sorted now, and on the whole I’m pleased. However it doesn’t sound quite as F1 like as some of the videos I’ve watched on YouTube.

At lower revs or pulling away it sounds what I’d describe as very agricultural, but like a truck or tractor. I thought it would have more of a growl.

At about 4 - 5k rpm it does make more of a wail than the previous exhaust, but it doesn’t seem to extend up the rev range and it’s not quite as formula oney as I expected.

Does this sound normal.

Are the cars typically making the real formula one noise decatted or running sports cats.