Tips on starting a 308 GTB with carburetors | FerrariChat

Tips on starting a 308 GTB with carburetors

Discussion in '308/328' started by sphillips, Mar 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sphillips

sphillips Rookie

Apr 20, 2008
    Hi Everyone,

Can I start by saying how much I enjoy this forum. The questions and answers as well as the pictures make this one of my favourites sites on the net.

In terms of my question, I have searhced through the forum archives and cannot find any tips on the best method for starting a 308 GTB with carburetors (assumed car is well tuned and operating normally).

Are there any tips/tricks in terms of depressing/pumping the accelerator , when to let go of the key etc.

Also I have seen plenty of buying guides for the 308, but has an "owners/operators" manual been written ?

TIA

Simon

2. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I guess they are all different. You just got to know your own car and figure out what works best on them.

On mine, cold starting is easy: turn key to on, but not start. The pump is now running.

Then give it two pumps of the throttle, to squirt in a load of fuel through the accelerator pumps.

Depress the throttle pedal a bit and turn the key. She'll start right up. Every time.

Hot starts are a lot harder. No priming done here, and just a bit more of cranking until she fires.

But you just got to figure out what works on YOUR car....

Good luck!

Hans

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

agree, and well said,

for hot starts i always cracked the throttle as i turned the key, and the cars would "roar" a bit as they started. you dont want to flood tt, just add a bit more air as the car is turning over.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I just turn the key on and waith for the "seatbelt" red light to time out. That gives the fuel pump enough time to make sure all the bowls are full. Then put the peddle to the floor twice and turn the key to start. As the engine catches then feather the throttle keeping rpm's to 1500. Works all of the time and after about 30 sec's then let off of the throttle and it will idle at about 800-900rpm's until the water temp starts to move. I would say within 2 minutes it should be ideling at 1000. When I do winter starts (10-20*) it takes a little longer for it to get to 1000rpm. As to hot starts I use 2 approaches. When getting gas or making a quick stop I don't use the throttle to do a re-start. Just turn the key and wait for seatbelt light and then turn to start. When I leave the car for 1/2 hour or more on a warm day (70-90*) I still wait for the seatbelt light and then feather the throttle while starting. That's my approach and it works pretty good. After I got the cat I used the choke once and then disconnected it. It was a pain to pull the plugs and dry them out , HAHAHA. Good luck

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    These guys are telling it correctly..

Wait almost 30 seconds for the carbs to fill, two or three peddle depressions then crank it..throttle slightly depressed and ready to accelerate RPMs...

Several tips from the actual 1976 -77 Owner's Manual:

Warm up RPM is ok at 3,000....yep, 3K...the neighbors will love you for it!

IF the engine does NOT start, avoid constant cranking on the starter, you should wait a minute or so to let the armature cool down before trying again......

HTH.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  7. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    If the car has been sitting a while recharging the battery the night before makes things a lot easier.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Must be great for those crack-of-dawn drives.

My neighbor thinks my 328 is loud...

9. DwightM

DwightM Karting

Dec 16, 2008
    Mill Valley, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Dwight the Flyer
    Each one of you have it correctly. I have the same engine, but GT4. Key on, wait for thirty seconds of clicking.
    Two depressions of the throttle, key to start, half depression while turning over.

Works everytime. Hot starts are ok for me. Never had an issue. If the car has been sitting for quite some time,
    this process may take several iterations. NO CHOKE.

Do not race the engine after a cold start, as this will wear the internal goodies out faster over time,
    UNLESS you have a pre-lube system. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers

10. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    +1 to all the guys above, except I've always done 3 squirts and have used this same starting technique on every Italian car I've owned (and I've only ever owned Italian cars!)

11. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I do the same procedure except that when I'm cranking the engine I step on the gas and then it starts right up. When it's cold outside, below 50* F, I give it an extra pump on the gas before I turn the engine over.

Bob

12. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    I second the procedure described by Hans and all the others. I am always amazed how easily the car starts, even after sitting unused for a few months.

There is one other thing I do when the engine is cold: before giving it two or three pumps of the throttle, to squirt in a load of fuel through the accelerator pumps, I let the engine crank for a while with the starter, without touching the throttle pedal, until the oil pressure gauge starts to move (the engine won't start without the fuel squirts). My assumption is that it's good to have some oil pressure built up, before the engine actually starts. Of course this procedure is not recommended with a weak battery.

Any opinions if this does make sense?

Robert

13. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hmm, interesting ... for me I let the gas pump work for a little while and then I turn over the key as I lightly tap the gas pedal - poof, poof, poof .. my 76 308 seems to like that approach.

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one having to figure out how to start properly. Haven't found the ideal way yet but this thread will certainly help. I didn't figure that it should take about 30 seconds to let the pumps work. I kinda like it when they make that wirring sound, so I'm okay with that. Makes starting a nice ritual (the start of a thrilling experience) and not just an afterthought. :)

15. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    Yep agree with most of that. Turn the key, let the pump run for about 5 secs, give one or two pedal pumps and she should start like a demon.
    Can't see why you should let the pump run for 30 secs.
    I have just replaced my Fuel lines with the Cavis hose from Superformance.
    It is see-through. You should see how quick the fuel actually flows through these lines @ normal pressure. I can't see that it needs 30secs to fill the bowls.
    Also I would suggest that for you guys that can't take the car out for months because of the weather that you don't leave it sitting around for two months between startup. Try and run the car at least every two weeks to keep everything lubed and get the moisture out of the engine.
    Lucky for us in Australia we can drive it every day and in fact winter is just as good as summer.

Steve

16. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Firstly welcome sphillips to F-Chat. :) Its a great community.

I turn my ignition on and let the pump go for 10-15 seconds. I actually then fully depress the accelerator to ensure the carbi's are full then turn her over. When she starts I release it and let her idle for a few minutes to get some heat.

Something else worth considering is that with these cars 2nd is used a lot and the syncro's have been made tight. Many owners change from 1st to 3rd for the first few km's/miles until the gearbox is warm. Going into 2nd can be a bit tight when cold.

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    '77 carb GTB - cold start; turn on the key and listen to the pumps run. When I hear what sounds like an air bubble as the tanks equalize (between 7 and 10 seconds) I then stab the throttle 3xs and then crank. It usually starts; then I feather the throttle to keep it running at low RPM until the oil pressure gauge shows pressure, then I rev it to 1500rpm or so and let it idle until warm. Sometimes it dies and I restart it. Warm starts I just turn the key with no throttle until it starts then I let it idle. This has worked for 22 years.

18. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    All the same and all a little different;

Cold: fuel pump on for 10 seconds or so, two or three pumps to encourage the accelerator pumps into action, turn key to start WITHOUT touching pedal, add a little throttle to get to 1500rpm or so, allow to idle back (no pedal) after oil proessure shows on gauge.

Hot: no delay, no pump, no added throttle, turn key to start, drive away.

Yep. All the same and all different. Kinda like, well, I won't say it.

rick - with a pile of carbed cars

19. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    Hi Steve, indeed you Australians are lucky to have nice weather all year round, not to mention the beauty of your country.

In my opinion the stress (engine wear) of one cold start every two weeks, without having the chance to actually drive the car and bring the engine to operating temperature, is worse than having it sitting for a few months without starting the engine at all. When I let the engine run for only a short time, the exhaust remains full of humidity, which will result in corrosion. Of course a short squirt of engine conservant oil in each cylinder through the spark plug holes could be helpful, before starting the 'winter break'.

But I totally agree that the best thing for the engine is to regularly drive the car!

In the end, everyone has to find his own 'best way'. As Rick said: All the same and all different.

Regards, Robert

20. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Using the clutch when starting does nothing but increase wear on the crankshaft main thrust bearings as they are not yet seeing oil on a cold start.

It IS a good practice from a safety point of view, so you have to choose your priorities. I always start my older cars without using the clutch and with the handbrake set to achieve both benefits.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    What does the clutch have to do with starting? Safety point of view? Both benefits? I’m sorry, but what are you talking about?

22. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Answers a lot of Questions .

ragtop1 and JuLiTrO like this.
  23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #23 Steve Magnusson, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Depressing the clutch during starting (on a car that has a rotating throw-out bearing) reduces the starter current draw by ~70A and helps the starter spin the engine a little faster. Auto Manufacturers usually specify having the transmission in neutral and depressing the clutch (that way, if the clutch has failed, the car won't lurch forward when starting).

Hannibal308 likes this.
  24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Well that’s why I love F-Chat.

25. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    The clutch has nothing to do with starting, which was the main point of my first sentence, perhaps not clearly stated. The safety point of view is that when starting a car with the clutch disengaged (pedal depressed) you eliminate the risk of the car lurching forward because it was in gear when you thought it wasn't. The two benefits of starting the car with the parking brake on but without the pedal depressed (and the car in presumed neutral) is that the thrust bearing is not impacted AND if the car does happen to actually be in gear you'll not get a start/lurch. I'll try to be less Boolean next time.

Hannibal308 likes this.