458/488 Brake Recall | Page 26 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

This is Ferrari you know. Ild bet its closer to $5000.

2. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I had my Speciale in 2 weeks ago and just a software change and cap replacement done. I did not ask for anything else so interested in what they have to say to you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    My tech says 1700

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

If it is its a great price.

5. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yesterday was first drive since recall service, I noticed nothing different at all pedal feel or anything brake wise. Some also had concerns regarding the software and exhaust pops, etc. I noticed my exhaust pops even more! I typically keep her in race w/ valves open and shift manually. When in first, as I was getting off the gas driving slow, I noticed I was getting pops I haven't heard before.
    PS: What a blast it was yesterday, first time out since last Nov / winter storage. What an FN MACHINE!!!! :cool::D

iMrMark, DQSF and Rexcat458 like this.
  6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 15 since the beginning has poped both in Race & Sport mode. Nothing done to it except the Cristo Exhaust switch. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting more! My exhaust is stock to boot. No additional sounds or changes to the exhaust signature since brake recall.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  7. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Same here, I just noticed it popping a little more and I wasn't looking out for it / forgot that the flash could possibly affect it. Was all amped up to finally have here out after a long winter. :)

Rexcat458 likes this.
  8. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm in Western PA. Nearest dealer is 4 hours away. I changed the oil myself after learning the cost of the two year service. I have a 2 post lift, a Launch Pro to reset the maintenance clock and everything else needed. It's a straightforward process. I still need to get the brake recall done but I think Ferrari should pay for the shipping. They did agree to pay one way.

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's awesome! Nice work :cool: If I lived 4 hours away from a Dealer I suppose I would make the necessary investments in lifts/tools/time/training etc. - I don't - so I drop my 458 off at Ferrari of Denver in the morning and pick it up later that day or the next and let the certified pros with the proper training and tools that are an email/chat/phone call away from Ferrari NA/Maranello do the work - Just me - But definitely admire and am frankly a bit envious of the DIYers on here - definitely commendable!! Cheers :):)

AD211 likes this.
  10. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    WOW, 4 hours?! Honestly, for them to offer one way isn't too bad given the case, but I'd still push them. You are aware that the 2 year, is much more than just an engine oil change? You have the brakes, belts, filters, etc.

11. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Plus you get the all important stamp in the service book. And don’t you void warranty by doing it yourself? I’d be getting the dealer service.

12. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Being that he has a 458, it's most likely off factory warranty. However, i'd say 100% sure it would void it if in place....

13. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    It was the reference to “two year service” that made me think it was not a 458. Surely no one would do the second service themselves?

14. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    My Pista still isn't listed for the recall. My selling dealer [FSA] claims only a couple 488's like the NJ owner who sued have had failure - is there any data on the number of failures?

He's sending me the factory brake fluid to carry and I'll check level frequently, but with 500 and 1700 mile trips planned across empty western back roads, I am not amused.

15. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

I have been of the opinion all along that this whole brake issue is only on because of a few bad apples that either don't know how to use their brakes, misuse their brake, or both. You put that together with lawyers and the rest of us pay for it. Sure there could always be an anomaly out there but I do say, my brakes in my Speciale Aperta are STELLAR. Not only that, but with these cars, you really don't have to use the brakes because downshifting works so well. So, the ones that beat on the brakes that hard, probably created their own problems and again, I'm not buying it.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  16. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Your dealer is not too bright. Replacement brake fluid is not going to help you. The problem is fluid leaking into the brake booster which renders the brakes ineffective at best or completely useless. Adding fluid to the reservoir is not going to remedy the situation. It is a pull over, stop, and call road-side assistance situation.

You are entitled to your opinion but it is severely misguided. The problem is real and has nothing to do with how one uses their brakes. Ferrari is now recalling something like 20,000 cars after detailed investigation of the problem, along with Bosch. It is not because a handful of people don't know how to step on the brake pedal. The brakes are great until they are not and it happens without warning. If you get a Low Brake Fluid warning, you're already in trouble and have to get off the road ASAP.

f355spider, watt and elt360 like this.
  17. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway

Well, that certainly causes permanent damage to the brand besides possibly killing some of us. My not too bright dealer said 3 deliveries have been refused already as the customers dont want risky brakes.

18. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    The reports from years ago are people getting ice mode. I don't believe the fix is actually a fix at all for this. Downshifting works if your not driving in any sort of spirited manner, but push it at all, and you need brakes, so that's just silly. I guess I could take the brakes off my track cars and just downshift into turns.

Regardless, there were enough credible reports, some of which lead to accidents and I believe there is 1 fatality in China from the issue

19. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Totally agree that the fix is not in. I've been driving for 50 years and NEVER had an issue with brakes that were even suspect to have problems and I my collection has 50 year old cars in it. And trust me, my driving is very spirited but I do not track the car. I have to laugh, you mean to say that someone in China had the issue, oh PLEASE spare me that farce of lies coming out of of China. All that fix did was appease the situation because lets face it, they haven't found any problem so do the easiest thing first which is what they did to quell what very well is a silly issue brought about by people who very well created their problems in the first place.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apparently there have been several credible reports of braking issues, mainly with 458 and 488. The described issues mostly point to booster failures; the root cause for them is not completely clear from the available information although it could be brake fluid leaking into the booster.

21. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

My understanding is that any method of bleeding the brake system, other than the "pump and hold" method (which is in the Ferrari Service Manual for 458) results in distortion of the seal between the fluid reservoir and the vacuum booster.

That is why the problem is not on every car. So, two techs working on the car or one to save money. Owner unintentionally assumes the risk right?

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yikes, so I can’t use a Motiv pressure bleeder? That said, I thought the pressure causing the problem was negative pressure. That is, because there was no bellows in the original cap, as fluid is drawn down, a vacuum builds in the reservoir. The bleeder tank is the opposite; positive pressure. Are you saying pressure in either direction can cause the brake booster to fail?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    The guy in Hong Kong had the hard pedal and ploughed into a pedestrian killing the person.
    The driver was doing at least twice the speed limit and is now doing jail time.
    I have experienced "hard brake pedal" twice the first time was the worst, I was slowing towards a 90 degree junction and had to swerve to avoid hitting an SUV in the rear.
    I had been travelling at this point over 1 hour and my brake temp was showing in the green.
    I have tracked the car at Silverstone and Goodwood so I believe I have sufficient knowledge to understand what to expect when the middle pedal is depressed.
    Cheers Paul.

Ash Patel likes this.
  24. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #649 todd cloud, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    The incident in Hong Kong involved a Deutsche Bank senior executive who killed a parking deck attendant while driving like an ass in a parking deck in Race Mode. The brakes were examined as part of his criminal defense and no issues were noted. He spent 22 months in prison and was released in 2018.

Facts matter. Perhaps you should use them in your posts.

SD455TA likes this.
  25. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is a very interesting theory. You may be onto something.

Just for reference, I am attaching the 458 WSM section on brake bleeding. As is typical for Ferrari, some more clarification in the instructions would have been helpful. This is not the shadetree 2-person "pump the brakes" method. It appears the 458 system needs to be bled electronically with DEIS (or Leonardo, etc.) while applying brake pedal pressure.

Could any professional techs here weigh in on their opinions on using a pressure bleeder on a 458?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login