F8 - Brand new F8 rear diffuser cracked during transit. | FerrariChat

F8 Brand new F8 rear diffuser cracked during transit.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ddushman, Aug 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ddushman

Ddushman Rookie

Dec 18, 2021
  2. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I'm unsure if you can replace individual fins with the non-CF diffusers. If that's possible, I would replace the fin.

If that is not possible, I would not accept a repair. I would push to get a new OEM rear diffuser.

One thing I have noticed is that you really have to practice your technique to not damage these rear diffusers. They seem to have less ground clearance than the diffusers on the 458. I've scraped my rear diffuser, even while navigating a steep driveway decline at an angle. I now ensure to always lower my front lift once I've cleared the front since raising the front of the car lowers the back.

Good luck.

VAF84, AD211, Ddushman and 2 others like this.
  3. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The exact same thing happened to my 458 during delivery. Local dealer fixed it and the transport company paid 100%. Major pain is that it took at least a month to get the part and another few weeks to get it painted and installed.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can it be removed and repaired?
    i would push for a new one.
    in any event, have it removed and drive car home. buy carbon fiber aftermarket diffuser.

5. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I broke a fin on my 488 GTB. It was not carbon and not painted. I ordered a new fin (for about $800) and had to remove the rear diffuser to install it. It took me about an hour and I did it with out jacking up the car. The dealer should be able to verify if the fins are replaceable. You could then drive the car until the parts arrive. Install is easy for a technician.

6. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I could not find a listing online for the F8. This is what a 488 GTB fin looks like. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125345993832?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8rE1QKN_Rpu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cWPqU2jKQx6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    New car….new part!
    I wonder if this incident would show up on the Carfax?

8. Ddushman

Ddushman Rookie

Dec 18, 2021
    Great question! That would make this a much bigger issue.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Ddushman

Ddushman Rookie

Dec 18, 2021
    LagunaSecaMike likes this.
  10. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    If it were my car I would insist on a new diffuser, after all its a brand new car.

Tito1969 and AD211 like this.
  11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Congrats on a beautiful car. I’m sorry this happened. Fins should be replaceable and wont notice the difference. Having some leverage and or credit with a transport company is a bonus in addition to the repair.

Shouldn’t show on carfax. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The F8 does not have removable fins like the 488 did, it is all one piece.

a good fiberglass shop can repair this, and repaint. Will look as new.

and yes, with any spirited driving there is a chance of scraping the bottom of the fins….ask me how I know! It’s fixable but guess what, will just happen again eventually.

tfazio, JanStuart and RoadRonin like this.
  13. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Replace the whole fin section with original upgrade to carbon fiber, make the transport/dealer pay.

14. F8Spider

F8Spider Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Complete OEM replacement and they pay you for the down time. Life is short.

Tito1969 and tfazio like this.
  15. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That’s a bummer. The fins are easy damage when backing up and going over sharp speed bumps too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    You can’t replace the rear diffuser of the F8 it’s now part of the car. Need to get repaired. Sorry about you have to deal with this especially when you just got delivery.

17. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    higher speeds with elevations changes, especially if it isn’t a perfectly flat road…the rear will come down too far, and scrape the bottom of the fins. Is what it is, but if these cars are driven it will eventually happen.

LagunaSecaMike and AD211 like this.
  18. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast

Wow that’s a huge bummer. I’ve had to replace fins on my prior cars like the 458 and 488 and it wasn’t much of an issue given they were replaceable.

19. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I am in the process of replacing my carbon fiber rear diffuser. Waiting on the shipment. Should get installed in a couple of weeks.

CRG125 likes this.
  20. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    While you may not be able to replace individual fins of the non-CF diffuser like you could on the prior cars, you can still replace the diffuser. I’m in the process of replacing my CF diffuser. Should be installed in a few weeks.

21. Bernie B

Bernie B Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2020
    Chicago, IL Area
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The rear diffuser is a separate part on the F8 and can be replaced. However, the fins are molded into the diffuser and cannot be individually replaced.

22. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    this is correct

Viperjoe likes this.
  23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    So repair just be exponentially expensive. I recall fixing fins for around $1000 in the past

24. Steve90265

Steve90265 Rookie

Sep 25, 2018
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Stephen D
    You should demand New for sure. You should also make sure the carrier does not use their insurance to cover the cost, or it may end up on Carfax report and hurt your future value.

25. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Perhaps they either give you a new one over the counter or give you full credit cash with no body shop or work order involved?
    I would be a little concerned with the potential of “diminished value” at resale. Did you or a trusted indy carefully check for other damage?