STOLEN: GTC4 Lusso t #250976 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Abi2612

Abi2612 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2005
    Schauenburg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Birner
    STOLEN!!!

The Ferrari GTC4 Lusso t s/n 250976 was stolen on August 16, 2022 around 1:40 AM in Hamburg-Blankenese, Germany!

Colour: Canna di Fucile
    Interior: leather Nero with red stitchings
    Wheels: dark grey
    Remarks: no Scudetti („shields“)!

If you see this car, or if you get offered this car, please inform the police or me!

Spotter photos courtesy of Marc-André Linnenkugel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, sorry to hear that!

Any details, was the key in it, was it towed away?

Recently in Maine someone stole the keys from a valet box and crashed a 812.

3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Any information about the way it was stolen would be appreciated.

Thank you

4. Abi2612

Abi2612 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2005
    Schauenburg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Birner
    This wasn't mine.

5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Considering the specs, I'm aware I will be suspect number one... But I swear I have nothing to do with it ! :D

More seriously, I'm surprised there's no tracking device in it . I hope the owner will retrieve it in good shape

Boots likes this.
  6. Abi2612

Abi2612 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2005
    Schauenburg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Birner
    FYI, the thieves tracked the radio signal of the key, copied it, busted the gate open and drove away. The owner woke up from the noise of his car, thus we know that the time of the theft was 1:40 AM.

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Does owner know it was several rather than one thief? A very sophisticated bandit, in any case.

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    sorry to hear about this all the best

9. Abi2612

Abi2612 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2005
    Schauenburg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Birner
    Well, a single thief won't have arrived on the scene by cab, right?

They never work alone.

10. Nefarious

Nefarious Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    I would think that the Lusso would be a difficult car to steal. I guess any Ferrari for that matter. Would it be better to NOT lock the car if you don't have any valuables in it? Without transmitting the code it would be much more difficult to steal, correct?

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'd rather have a tradition key than a keyless-go fob.

12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Ah - I’d forgotten that the Lusso has keyless go. So the thieves spoofed the signal from the fob to the car. It’s a common ploy and a friend of ours had the airbag, instrument binnacle, nav and infotainment system stripped from his BMW 5er in broad daylight and less than 3 minutes by thieves using the spoof technique to gain entry. His dog noticed the thieves and started barking. By the time he went outside to see what the fuss was about, they were gone.

We have keyless go in our BMW but keep the fobs in a faraday cage precisely for this reason.

Thankfully our Fezza keys are all of the traditional type!

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I guess at 1.40am he had not just used the key, so does that mean the key is emitting a signal that they can clone all the time?
    You still have to press the unlock button to get in an 812, you cannot just walk to the car and touch the handle to unlock like a Range Rover, is the Lusso totally keyless like a Range Rover? and does this make the 812 safe from cloners?

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #14 ANOpax, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Yes - keyless entry systems are effectively always on. That's why the fob batteries need to be replaced every year for best performance. The fob is always emitting/receiving but the car needs to sense that the fob is nearby and vice versa for the car to unlock. What happens is that the thieves bridge the distance between the fob and car with an extra set of receivers/transmitters which fools the car and fob into registering proximity to each other and the car then unlocks and permits starts up.

If the 812 has a keyless entry system, it is not safe from being spoofed (note, we are not talking about cloning a fob but about extending the signal of a genuine fob to gain access and startup). The way to make it safe is to buy a faraday cage key box (available on Amazon - read the reviews though as they aren't all effective) and keep the fobs in there. We have this one and it works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V1BWNVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm guessing that the stolen Lusso will be parted out as I can't imagine that it'll be easy to defeat the system again once it's out of range of the genuine fob but given enough time, perhaps they can.

Wheels1 likes this.
  15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks
    I have ordered a box for all our keys, thanks for the advise :)

16. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Just to clarify... The Lusso doesnt have keyless entry. The fob is not constantly emitting a signal. This is the case for proper keyless entry that you can find on every other car today (including the latest Ferraris, Roma, SF90 etc). but for the Lusso, the key is emitting a signal only when the button is pressed. So somebody was waiting around the car until the owner would press the button. Only then could he detect the signal, and then copy it.
    There is no risk of unlocking the car on your drive way with the signal repeater that they use for other cars, so your Ferrari wont be stolen this way and you dont need to key your Lusso key in a faraday cage. However the risk of the signal being copied when you actually open the car is always present.

GTC4LussoT likes this.
  17. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands

Okay - no keyless entry for the Lusso but ISTR that it has keyless-go. So presumably that still requires a fob to be spoofed? Or does the immobiliser simply disarm when you unlock the car?