Please drive your Ferrari more | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Please drive your Ferrari more

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mx1, Aug 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my experience which includes my own Testarossa, for the most part if you have a good car and park it for 10 years which our TR was, you will still have a good car.
    When you park a junk car and come back in 10 years it is still junk.

One of the things which is almost never said? "Gee my Ferrari is perfect, I think I will park it here for 10 years".

RedNeck, tbakowsky and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In 1992 a 1990 F40 was parked in a house and a wall replaced to seal it inside. 15 years later it was removed and a dealer replaced the fluids, belts and tires.
    Since the coolant had not been drained it gelled in the radiator. When the local dealer was asked to recommission it they missed that fact and the car kept overheating. It over heated pretty bad a few times. When it came to me we found the radiator issue and also leaking head gaskets.
    We removed the engine and pulled the heads and found the cylinders and pistons scored like they will do in a severe over heat. When we disassembled the motor we found damaged main bearings probably as a result of starting it after removal from the house with no oil before it was serviced. The car had 2644 miles. We fixed the bearings and crank. Were able to gently hone the alloy cylinders to remove the light scoring. We removed the light scoring from the piston skirts and had them moly coated to bring skirt clearance back to standard.
    So the only thing done to a car sitting stored 15 years was to fix the damage done by recommissioning, new tires, new belts and new fluids.
    It has been in service sense with zero issues..

Junk cars cannot sit. Good cars can.

SCantera, Thecadster, Dane and 3 others like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Brian, how do you define a junk car? Was it poorly built, poorly maintained, abused, or just a lemon, or something else?

4. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Id say the location of where it sat plays a not insignificant factor as well

tbakowsky likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sadly it is defined by about 3/4 of the cars in my state. Poorly maintained. Either because of benign neglect or very poor quality service.

I had a 250 here a while ago. Part of a collection. I had to stick a screwdriver through the muck behind the drain plug to get any oil out of it.

tbakowsky and Nospinzone like this.
  6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am always surprised by what people think others should do with their money or property….

Some people own these cars and it’s one of many. Others own them and may not get a chance to drive them as much as they would like because life can get busy….I’ve had my Lusso for quite some time and don’t drive it much as of late. It’s got over 10K miles in 5+ years of ownership. My truck is just easier sometimes and after 2 decades of sports car/ exotic ownership the excitement wears thin….I still greatly enjoy it when I do drive it. There’s nothing like the sound of a V12 and it’s possible it could become extinct at some point in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua, 430tdf and Rifledriver like this.
  7. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I myself really enjoy driving beater Ferraris, really easy to bring them back from the dead. Once you go through every little part and piece

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've found many Ferrari owners are busy with many other activities, and have a lot of other cars. This tends to also lower the overall mileage of an individual car.

Thecadster, mx1, jkddad and 1 other person like this.
  9. TipoF129

TipoF129 Karting

Mar 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    ROBERT BROPHY
    paulchua and jahdish like this.
  10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I use mine is a daily driver-
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    here we are after a long transplant, my faithful steed, waiting for me to take me home and put a smile on my face after a long day.

5 miles from now I will be in bed with a smile on my face, knowing that I have enjoyed myself maximally in the small interstices of life around a productive day.

AtomicPunk88, italiafan and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well done sir! I commend you.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You need to meet my friend Kevin Enderby.

430 = 100K
    F355 =150K
    328 = 200K

Bonus
    430 Challenge = ~2000 miles.

mx1 likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Curious. How many years have you owned Ferrari's?

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Hero right there. :)

I used my 360 as my DD while I was waiting for my 997 to arrive from transport. Absolutely flawless 68k miles... but. I drive her constantly. :) And fix things that break or need servicing. But I do that on all my cars and as my 997 attests. Sat 2 years and then fired right up. As if parked overnight.

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    We hanged out last week.

Here is an article about his 150K F355.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  16. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    It is harder in the city to enjoy, but if you can, find a fun little route where you can get vehicles up to operating temp and try to dedicate a day once a month to running them, just in case life gets too busy.

mx1 and paulchua like this.
  17. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    My 488 came to me in 2020 with 3400 on the clock. I’m either at 7 or 8 thousand now. Being that I live in the upper Midwest and the car sits from November in to April every year I’d say that’s not too bad. I enjoy the hell out of driving it but I also don’t want to drive it too much. I enjoy the “event” of driving the car and don’t want to lose that feeling.

18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    My father indulged in Italian cars so growing up going to the store in a Lamborghini Miura was not
    Unheard of.

I’m about 16 cars in after about 12 years. I don’t have enough time not to enjoy the cars daily. Nor money to own things I don’t use or cannot or won’t use.

Life is short.

Same spot late night
    Over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great color on the 430.

LARRYH and tbakowsky like this.
  20. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I remember meeting Kevin at a few FCA events back when I lived in Monterey (I left in 2008).

When John at Forza Motors had his open house to celebrate the opening of his new shop, I sat with Kevin and with Tish Thinesen and a few others for lunch. Kevin introduced himself saying ‘we’ve met at a few events but never really talked’ and asked how I knew John.

I replied that he had just finished the major service on my 328, and Tish laughed. “Oh, so you paid for lunch then. Thank you!”

(I still have the FCA Pacific Region sticker on the 328. Met a bunch of really great people there.)

paulchua, Texas Forever and ScottS like this.
  21. mx1

mx1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I’ve experienced the same through different vehicles- the ones that sit more usually need more work due to dried gaskets etc. these mean machines were meant for the road, not the garage!

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #47 Eric C, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    The police won't let me drive my car for 6 months :(

Got 86,000+ kms on the challenge in 8 years of ownership but only 7 years of being allowed to drive

paulchua, Texas Forever and ScottS like this.
  24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You win the.....WGAF award....

25. mx1

mx1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2022
    CT