What track monitoring system do you all use? | FerrariChat

What track monitoring system do you all use?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by gowthamn, Apr 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Is it RaceChrono, Harry, Track addict or RaceCapture?
    Looking to add sensors and cameras to my F8.

2. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    After checking out some of my buddies Garmin catalyst, I went with one of them. It has some really nice features and a good camera. If you are hardcore, AIM & VBox mibethe best

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Can the video be overlaid with speed, etc. can it be placed in a format uploadable to YouTube?

Does the camera capture the driver hand position? I’m quite interested in one for tracking the 458. Don’t need super hard core.

4. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Yes it creates a video with speed and other info overlaid and can be uploaded to YouTube.

It cannot see your hand as the camera is mounted to the windshield.

5. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can always add an additional go pro and make in Picture in Picture

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I began with Harry laptimer (which was actually not bad, even though expectations could be low for such an app) and now I use the same AIM Solo 2 I have for racing.
    For video I have a separate Garmin VIRB 360, which is unfortunately discontinued by Garmin.

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #7 wthensler, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Very useful comments here. I’m not a hardcore racer, just someone looking to improve track skills and be able to look at basic data (throttle and brake would be nice). So the VBox HD 2 is getting a bit pricey for my needs. A camera showing wheel position would be quite useful.

The Garmin looks good at the price, especially if I can overlay video from another device. Just wish it weren’t so bulky. Heard mixed things about the on board electronic coach………Still a possibility. I’ll continue to look and educate myself.

8. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you are handy with editing programs, you can add a multitude of data and cameras to your video.

wthensler likes this.
  9. jazztrip

jazztrip Karting

Oct 1, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I started with Harry's Laptimer + OBDII connector + GPS puck. It produced 'okay' results but I was looking for two things: 1) more data and data analysis capability and 2) more convenience. It was a PITA to make sure my phone and the GPS puck were charged and the GPS and OBDII devices were talking to Harry's Laptimer each session. Yeah, it's a 'first world problem', but still more hassle than I wanted.

I switched to an AIM SoloDL + AIM SmartycamHD. The SmartycamHD connects directly to the SoloDL data logger. You can connect the SoloDL to the car either via car's OBDII port or hardwiring it into the CANBUS. I hardwired it into the CANBUS because it was the only way to get all the data I wanted on my track car ('09 Porsche Cayman S). Now, I just strap in, start the car and the SoloDL and Smartycam come to life ready to go.

I looked at the OBDII data available on late model Ferrari's and you get A LOT of data (so you wouldn't need to tap into the CANBUS):

RPM
    Active gear
    Vehicle speed
    Rear right wheel speed
    Rear left wheel speed
    Front right wheel speed Front left wheel speed Longitudinal accelerometer Lateral accelerometer
    Roll rate
    Pitch rate
    Yaw rate
    Steering wheel speed Engine coolant temperature Catalyst temperature 2 Catalyst temperature 1 Ambient air temperature
    Oil temperature
    Oil pressure
    Brake pressure
    Differential pressure Steering wheel position Engine torque request 01 Calculated load value Absolute load value Throttle position sensor Fuel level
    Pedal position sensor Engine torque drive
    Fuel consumption
    Differential torque
    Requested engine torque
    Traction and stability control disabled Launch control
    Main mode selector - see Appendix Clutch switch
    Brake switch
    Traction control intervention
    Vehicle dynamic control
    Active automatic gear
    Suspension setting – see Appendix

(you can see this information on the AIM website. www dot aim-sportline dot com)

The SoloDL integrates data onto the video from the SmartycamHD in real time, so you can complete a session, pop the SD card from the Smartycam into a laptop and review your session. AIM also provides comprehensive data analytics that are REALLY helpful when it comes to improving driving skills. I have attached a screen shot of my typical view of the data which shows speed, throttle position, brake (pedal) pressure and time delta between two or more sessions. I sometimes include lateral G's. There's tons more data and analytics available. Check out the AIM website for more/better info.

Some friends have the Garmen Catalyst and like it but I have no experience with it.

Here is an example of the integrated video and data you can get. NOTE: You can configure what data gets placed on the video (and where it appears on the screen). I mounted the Smartycam on the roll bar just behind the seat so I get some view of my hands and steering wheel inputs.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search and have fun the track!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NioMarvin63, LVP488 and gowthamn like this.
  10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Motec on the race car. Nothing else comes close....

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Garmin Catalyst - simple to use enough information for my level

12. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I finally got around to using my catalyst last weekend. It really is quite a tool. It allows you to see when your sectors are green or red, gives you Bluetooth audio to a headset telling you the optimum line and it’s very user friendly. The track automatically pops up and records video soon as your out on the track. Playback is very simple where you can see your braking zones and acceleration, as well as your lines through the track. And exporting the video adds the overlays onto it. It’s real time data vs taking it back and having to export it to a computer.

13. NioMarvin63

NioMarvin63 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nion Marvin
    Phone / Tablet GPS is too low quality to do lap timing; the information would be unreliable. And we at wall work may make it available without lap timing for in-car pit-to-car messaging and live race stats, now that this feature is coming online. With internal GPS, they work- poorly. It's a common sight to see screenshots of bad GPS traces with these lap timers. We prefer to maintain high quality data for the best user experience - and with the $299 entry point for RaceCapture, you have excellent GPS quality, a very high quality IMU (vs a typical phone's IMU) and 100 CAN / OBDII channels. We feel that's a great deal, and about the cost of 1-2 race tires.

14. Eric_H

Eric_H Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    I also use AIM. Set it up years ago and it just works. Auto on and off.

See also video’s description and comments for more info:

My car vids

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Garmin Catslyst. Had it for a while and it’s a great system for all but the advanced drivers. I’d say most here would be happy with it, it’s also quite user friendly.

I also purchased an AIM Solo 2 also which provides additional data such as braking, acceleration, steering angle. I’m gonna get that going in 2024 in the 992.

16. DeanHunter

DeanHunter Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 27, 2023
    California/Montreal
    Full Name:
    DHunt
    The Garmin is a sure bet!

3POINT8 likes this.
  17. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    I use both a Garmin and a vBox in my track car.

The Garmin is great for how easy it is to set up and transfer to other cars and can help push you a bit.
    vBox and having full access to data is needed if you're looking to improve that last 10-20%. I found with the vbox when switching pedals from brake to throttle I would always over attack and that was upsetting my car mid-corner. You won't get this with the Garmin.

18. mikey64

mikey64 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    mikey
    MoTeC in my formula car but while I love it and find it to be one of the most powerful systems available, I wouldn’t be using it if it had not already been installed on the car when I bought it. It’s amazing what you can learn from a $20K data system but realistically can’t spend the man-hours required to make full use of that much data.

AIM is my go-to when I have to procure and setup a car from scratch. Relatively easy for DIY.

At the end of the day the right data system for you completely depends on what you’re doing and what your goals are.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games” - Ernest Hemingway

19. mikey64

mikey64 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    mikey
    I should add that the single most useful tool for learning is real-time delta lap info. Be sure whatever system you choose has this capability. AIM does this very well and I’m sure other systems have it or can be done with a math channel. Nothing beats instant feedback to know where you gain a tenth or lose a tenth during laps of the same session or compared to other laps of the day. You can try different lines, brake points, entry speeds, etc and see how it works out for any section of the track. It’ll show you how getting on the throttle earlier is continuously rewarding all the way down the next straight. Or how too fast into a corner ultimately hurts your lap time.
    You can use the delta lap to learn all day even if you never look at the rest of the data until you get home.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games” - Ernest Hemingway