Ferrari 488 Pista dynamo only 13.3 Volts | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista dynamo only 13.3 Volts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nello107, Aug 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nello107

nello107 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Hello,

driving my 488 Pista i noticed that the gauge tells me the the dynamo/altenator of my Pista only generats 13.3 Volts

It seems a little bit low to me, i would aspect a value around 14 Volt or so.

What is the experience of other 488 drivers?

Regards
    Antonio

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    First, you should check the voltage at the battery with an external volt meter.

I have a vintage Ferrari with a Lucas alternator. The charging spec is 13.9 to 14.3 volts at 3000 rpm. The service manual suggests that if the voltage is out of spec, the problem is likely the voltage regulator. In modern cars the voltage regulator is usually part of the alternator itself. You might need to remove your alternator and have it checked and serviced.

3. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Suspect charging rate is computer regulated and adjusted to best suit demand and performance. With less need for current the charge rate should vary to decrease parasitic drag on the engine thus increasing both power and fuel consumption. Different than the old days. Suspect if not within spevs it would generate a warning light,

020147 likes this.
  4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Decrease fuel consumption . Suffer from typing impairment

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    One would expect the system to initially boost the voltage in order to clean the battery internals, then let the voltage drop for all the above mentioned reasons.

6. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    There is a battery state of charge sensor in the system and the alternator output and battery charge level is monitored and controlled by engine management. This is also a Lithium Ion battery so the management is a lot different then you may be used to. Under hard acceleration the alternator will be turned off and under hard decell or braking it will be commanded to full output in many circumstances.

020147 likes this.
  7. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest