Serious Thoughts About Selling 328 GTS | FerrariChat

Serious Thoughts About Selling 328 GTS

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by JED, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JED

JED Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    After nearly 7 years of proud ownership, I'm seriously considering selling my red/tan '86 328 GTS as I prepare for retirement. It has about 37k miles and has spent its entire life in SoCal. What's the best way to go about selling an exotic to genuinely interested potential purchasers? What about selling to a dealer (Car Gallerie on Harbor, couple of places on PCH, etc.)? That would be an easy out but a costly one for sure. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

John

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have never sold one, but I know the outlets are :

http://www.ferrariads.com/

Ebay

Dupont Registry

It's a tough call regarding a dealership selling it for you - Sounds like the easiest solution, but of course the most costly. Seems to be even hard for a 328 since the price is lower than other F-Cars to begin with. But if you have more $ than time, it may be the way to go.

Maybe even bring it to Crystal Cove in hopes of selling it there?

3. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    If you sell to a dealer expect them to low ball you big time.
    Maybe offer you 10 grand less than what you could easily get selling it yourself.
    I'd sell it yourself and patiently wait for the right buyer.

Places to advertize
    www.cars.com
    LA Times
    Yahoo Classifieds
    Auto Trader
    www.ferrariads.com

I'm sure a few others could chime in on places you could advertize

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Don't sell to a dealer, consign it to them. Tell them that you want to get X and they can have whatever over that, providing it's realistic and worth their while. I think that that would be a great way to sell, let them deal with all the looky loos. Not unless you have a guy dieing to buy at a retail price, I would not want to deal with the hassle of idiots coming by for a test drive. You may find you get more $$ for the car. You could also tell the dealer that you don't want them to put any miles on it. Record the mileage when you drop it off. Selling to a dealer would only result in a low-ball and you leaving $$ on the table, imo.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good thoughts! Do you think it would work good for a relatively less expensive car like a 328?

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hey Jerry,

That's a good point. There's only one way to find out for sure.

7. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    My advise, don't sell it. Enjoy it because the day after it's gone you'll miss it.

8. JED

JED Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. Since I'm not in a huge hurry to sell (especially after driving it ~80 miles yesterday), I have time to explore my (your) options. BTW, if any of you know of a potential buyer, feel free to have him/her contact me through this group. I usually check the various threads several times per week.

Best regards to all of you - a great group of folks,

John