Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
  2. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I’m looking at a 4C and will go drive it soon. Two questions, the car has over 70k miles and I’m 6’2” tall. Am I nuts to consider one of these? Will I fit? And or will the car need clutches soon and major services? I hear they are actually very reliable.

3. neth

neth Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    #828 neth, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    @xpensivewino there is pretty good head/leg room inside, I have had friends that tall fit just fine.

So far clutches haven’t been wearing out but it’s still a little early to tell how mileage/wear will play out as not too many have that kind of miles in them yet. My 2018 has 11k miles on it without any issues.

Enjoy the “test fit”, they are a blast to drive.

4. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Thanks Neth...looking forward to trying one out.

neth likes this.
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Any reason why you're looking at one with such high mileage? If you just want to try it out then go for it but I suggest a lower mileage example.

I haven't seen too many clutch/transmission issues but oddly enough some of the ones I did see were under warranty.

6. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Very reliable. Does require a belt service every 5 years but it's not an engine out...costs around $2K. Also require bolts tightening for around $600-$1,200 every few years. Best of a Lotus Elise + Porsche Cayman S.

At 6' 2" you are at the limit...if not over. Ain't gonna be comfortable for long rides.

7. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    The car I’m looking at has the options I like, color, and is local to me, plus the price point is very fair. There are lots of these cars on the market, but all seem over priced and just sitting. I would definately prefer a lower mileage example but sometimes a car used more regularly is a good thing. Thank you everyone for your comments

8. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Do you mind sharing how much they're asking? I only ask because for me such high mileage would require a significant discount. I see a few sitting as well and have been pondering getting back into one but after 2 Launch Editions I'd like to get a Spider.

9. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    He’s asking around mid 40’s. So I went to drive it today. Lots of observations. First off I fit fine at 6’2”. I found the car pretty comfortable to drive. It’s a very raw car, which I like. Build quality is well, Fiat like. Paint quality etc, nothing to write home about. Overall a really awesome little car though. Handles really well and pulls pretty hard for what it is. My biggest concern was the gearbox. It felt really clunky and almost stuttering down low, or leaving from a stop. Is that normal for these? It felt like it was slipping a bit for lack of a better term. I also noticed clutch chatter on low rev down shifts. Keep in mind this car has 77k miles, so I am concerned about transmission health.

neth likes this.
  10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    The transmission on my foresee that I got new brakes very smooth. It is abrupt changes, especially in higher revs, but should be clunking and doing all the things he described. It’s actually the same dual clutch transmission off the Dodge dart. It has been pretty tried and true and well proven. Given the amount of miles on that car, probably best to look for something different

11. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Mid 40s doesn't excite me enough, I'd rather spend 5-10k more and get one with under 20k miles. As much as I like a deal I've learned cheap cars usually cost me more in the long run.

As slm said above, at higher revs it can be a bit clunky but that also depends on what setting you're in. If I remember correctly the Race one is a bit more abrupt. At idle there is clutch chatter, remember this has a dry clutch. I don't remember if it chattered at low revs while being driven though. That combined with the clunkiness and stuttering you describe makes me think there's something wrong with that transmission.

12. neth

neth Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    Without a reference it’s hard to tell what is “normal”. You could try finding a local 4C owner on the 4C forums and go for a drive with them to compare.

All the 4Cs I have been in including mine seem a little clunky at low sped/idle but at high speed I would say, depending on how hard you are accelerating, DNA mode, and rpm shift point, they can be but are not always “abrupt”.

I doubt you are in the Seattle area @xpensivewino but if so ping me and I’ll take you for a drive :)

13. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Thanks neth, I’m in the LA area, but greatly appreciate the kind offer. Over all the car seemed to be the typical 5 owner, run hard put away wet type of car. Not in bad shape, but not loved either. I’m going to drive a few more lower mileage cars and see how they compare.

neth likes this.
  14. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Sounds a bit like a worn clutch. I've a 2016 4C but with only 4800 miles on the clock. My car does none of the things you mention regardless of whether I'm shifting with the paddles or let the trans do its own thing.

Kudos though to the guy who put 77k miles on a 4C. That's great. Wish I had the time to get mine out more. Fun little car. Can be twitchy until you get used to it.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- I just saw the first 4C coupe that I've seen in the flesh in the parking lot of my gym. I didn't even know what it was (other than the grill telling me that it was an Alfa Romeo) -- my first impression was "that's a damn good-looking modern 246". When I got home, I went on the internet to try to figure out what model it was, and I can say with certainty, that this car just does not photograph well -- it looked way, way better in person than any photo that I've found/seen.

neth and pchop like this.
  17. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    this is one of the few photos of my 4C that I like:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Makuono, pchop, Pawilly and 2 others like this.
  19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Love your spec. I would love to find a spider in that combo.

Nachtfalter likes this.
  20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Are those the standard wheels or from the Giulia?

21. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Custom from BSPK Forged 18"/19" Gabriella in brushed champagne. They look like they came with the car and as previously mentioned in this thread, these cars don't phograph well but in real life they are gorgeous.

iloveferrari likes this.
  22. cstorry

cstorry Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chuck Storry
  23. BarthVader

BarthVader Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    South Carolina
    360Tom, neth, cstorry and 3 others like this.