Tires | FerrariChat

Tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by ToddFC, Aug 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I expected there would be a number of threads but I didn't see anything too recent in a search so I don't feel so bad for asking what I thought was going to be a common question... Which of course is.. Are there any suggestions on tires for factory rims on an 86 328?

I usually buy tires on TireRack .. and surprisingly of all the options this one had the highest ratings for wet traction / dry traction / road noise in all cases.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06+Plus&frontTire=055WR6DWS06P&rearTire=25WR6DWS06P&fromTireCompare=Y&vehicleSearch=true&autoMake=Ferrari&autoYear=1986&autoModel=328GTS&autoModClar=

I wouldn't have guessed "Continental" for the best Ferrari tire so looking for any thoughts or options.

On a related question...

I found there is a slight "warp" on the outside face on one of the front rim. I've only had the car a month and it was like this when I got it. There is a local shop that can fix this, which means the car will spend a few days on the spare (just sitting, not driving).
    Then it occurred to me, this is more than likely the original 1986 spare tire.... It has the appearance of very dry rubber. I should have that tire replaced too, but would you even worry about the car sitting on it for a few days?

2. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    In general, I'm a fan of the Continental ExtremeContact summer tire, can't go wrong for summer type. But most importantly, how are you going to use/drive the 328, and where/rain(?) and year-around, etc. Since my GTB usually sits in the garage and goes to occasional Cars and Coffee, I'm a big fan of the Pirelli P7 Collezione

I would not worry (or think about) replacing the spare tire, whether or not you use it for this purpose. If I have a road flat, then I'm calling a flatbed trailer. I'm a big fan of "spare never down" cars, so if possible, I would see if you or the shop can just "jack-stand it" for a few days... my .02

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  3. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    You can check the date code on the spare tire to see how old it really is. I once had an old (25+ years with visible sidewall cracks) tire explode while leaning against the wall in my garage. Blew out one sidewall.

But if your spare is not crazy old AND doesn't have large visible cracks in the sidewalls then I would be comfortable parking the car on it for a awhile.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do not worry about the spare. I assume its full size? If so if you migh travel in the var get a new one on there at some point. A few years ago I had to drive our TR 400 miles home on the spare a few years ago.

Continental has been making some great tires. I kind of like the one at the top of the list myself.

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Pirelli P ZEROs , Conti Extreme Contact, Michelin Pilot. For the price vs performance, the Contis cant be beat.

Big G

6. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I’ve had the Conti’s on my 86 328 for the last two years. Has been a good combination of ride and performance.

7. kossevv

kossevv Karting

May 7, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Veso Kossev
    I finally upgraded my tires a year ago to Continental Extreme Contact Sport, pretty similar to what you are considering. I'm very impressed with them! Previously I had dangerously old TRX14' tires so this was a huge improvement and I've been very happy with them.

8. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    kossevv likes this.
  9. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks all for the time to respond:

Calling for a tow or using the spare is a function of where I am... I'd rather have a viable spare, just in case.

Its the mini spare... I was looking at it tonight wondering if the spare tire tub up front would hold a full fize.. just have to get a real rim for it.

So lots of comments about the Extreme Contact Sport... Summer.
    I do drive it, at least a little each week, and will do year round. I'm in SC so there is no extreme winter to worry about, but we do get a bit of cold(ish) weather. I've always had all season tires, but at what point in the weather do you really not want to be on a summer tire? It would take some real convincing for me to actually change tires out with the seasons.

If you are driving year round would you go with the sport or DWS 06 Plus

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The tub in the front holds a full size front. Many 328s had them. I prefer the mini. Gives you a little space to put stuff and I drove home 400 miles in the TR on one up to 100 MPH.

mike996 likes this.
  11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Almost certainly its the original tire as replacements have been unobtainable for ever - every now and then there are rumors of a run (most recently Continental on behalf of Audi as I recall) but no-one seems to actually bite the bullet and replace the mini-tire

Albert-LP likes this.
  12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Why an allseason tire? Do you want to drive on snow?

Maybe better buying a summer tire!

Ciao

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Unless you are adamant that you want a period-correct looking tire, any current tire
    that will fit is a better quality tire than what was mounted in the 80's. Last year I had the local Firestone shop install a set of Indy 500 Firehawks. They do everything they need to do on an '89 328. There may be better tires but they are overkill for what an '80s 3x8 is capable of! ;)

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Dave Bertrand and ProvaMo like this.
  15. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
  16. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    thanks all for the thoughts and input, always differing views out there, and listening to fellow enthusiasts usually helps me find a direction.

Truth be told... i don't factually know where the limits are for a summer tire... Will I drive in the snow, around here it only happens once every 10 years or so I'd just go with "not a factor"

Thanks, I'll check it out. I would like to have a spare I can trust should the pinch arise.. totally agree on keeping the original, a little less space in the garage.

17. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    All season tires are more about temp range than driving in the snow. Summer tires are a softer compound offering more grip but harden below 45F and grip trails off. All season offer less grip but over a broader temp range. Depending on climate where you live and how hard you drive the car summer tires maybe just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  18. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks, the 45 degree number is what I was missing. Our winters here probably only see a few weeks a year where that range would come into play.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Unless you want some specific tire because it's the same brand/tread pattern/whatever as the original, pretty much any modern tire of the correct size is superior in every way to what came on the car from the factory 30+ years ago. ;)

Dave Bertrand and Albert-LP like this.
  20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    This is the definitive answer: +1

Ciao

21. market-reasearch

Silver Subscribed

Jul 21, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    D. Gabathuler
    Pirelli Cinturato P7 works great and looks good. Would never go for an all seasons.

corey1 and Thomas Magnum like this.
  22. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    The previous owner of my 328 put new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the car in 2020. I've only put 600 miles on the car since taking ownership last November, but the tires have been a great pairing in my limited experience. They are classified as an ultra-high-performance all-season tire. They have stood up to whatever sporty driving I have tried but are also very compliant and do well for easy cruising. I probably spend the bulk of my drives in the 45-65mph range in 4th-5th gear on country roads, and the tires are smooth and quiet. No gripes at all.

I have Pilot Super Sport tires on both of my modern sports cars, which are dedicated summer tires. I have serious doubts the 328 could exploit a hard core tire like that, in fact it might actually make things worse by exposing other deficiencies in the aged chassis design and condition.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #23 Rifledriver, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    In the last 40+ years I have had 2 flats. Both had long slices in side wall. One was 400 miles from home in a car whose replacement tire would have been several days away.

I'll keep my spare thanks.

ToddFC and mike996 like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Better tires stop faster, their most important quality.

The AS3 is a good tire but it has much harder, longer lasting rubber compound over the standard Pilot. We never wear tires out on these cars because they do not get driven enough in the 5 or 6 years we should be keeping the tires. For that reason only if given choices I usually go for the lowest tread wear rating/highest traction rating available assuming it is a reasonable price in that group.

430tdf, Brian Harper and ToddFC like this.
  25. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    If you keep a spare in the trunk, remember to check the tire pressure on a regular basis. Replacing a flat tire with another flat tire isn't going to help much :)

corey1 and ToddFC like this.