What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 42 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Help needed - I am not a bourbon/whisky drinker. I know nothing about the various brands, etc. I have a buddy who is a bourbon drinker and had a really bad week at work. I would like to buy him a special bottle of bourbon. My sense is that typical bottles are in the $50 range, which he would probably buy for himself on any given week. I am interested in recommendations in the $200 - $300 per bottle range. I am sure that bourbons are like Ferraris - everyone has an opinion on which model is the best, etc. Just looking for a few suggestions to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Ha. Try some Coy Hill.

armedferret likes this.
  3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Lots of great bourbon in the $50 range and beyond.

Couple questions for you. Do you know what his usual is? Does he like 90 proof, bottled-in-bond, or the barrel proofs? I'm asking because it will help you pick the right bottle for him.

Last page somebody snagged a Stagg Jr. It's about $45 retail but if and when you can find it where I live it will be $250-300 per bottle. Very hard to find an allocated bourbon for retail unless you're very lucky. Do you have any liquor store friends? On any allocated waiting lists? Part of the fun for me is the hunt. If you don't have time for that I recommend https://dewinespot.co

armedferret likes this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Never came to MD sadly.....and everyone down in DC immediately goes straight to secondary with their prices as soon as it comes in, and i have no interest in spending close to $1k on a bottle worth about 150 tops that can't lawfully ship to me from any retailer anyway (once i'm retired in a couple years, i'll be far less concerned about victimless things like that, but at current my nose has to stay quite clean even with ridiculous laws that shouldn't exist :p )

I did find one website advertising it as "in stock" at $90, but they also claim to have 4 bottles of Old Fizgerald 14yr in stock for $165, and 3 bottles of Pappy 20 in stock for $250 so I'm going to go out on a limb and assess they may not be entirely truthful. ;)

Have a couple friends who scored bottles in other states, might have to see if i can tradecraft a handshake from em. ;)

GatorFL likes this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That was me on the $45 Stagg Jr, which is rare in and of itself, but to find that anywhere CLOSE to MD/VA/DC/NJ/PA is all but nonexistent.

@Level7 your best bet, depending on where in PA you are, is to head north to NY State (not the city) or west to Ohio. Ohio is state-controlled pricing at all stores, so almost NOTHING goes for over MSRP. I have a regular Weller connection there; i get Special Reserve for $25 and Antique 107 for $50. Once in a while Full Proof, Single Barrel, and CYPB do pop up but they usually disappear VERY quickly. But Ohio stores on drop days tend to have some really great stuff at HONEST prices, which keeps it accessible to a lot more people (as long as you can get there right when they open :p)

If you post up some of what your friend usually has on hand/enjoys, lots of members in this thread can probably recommend some other choices along the same profile/proof lines.

GatorFL likes this.
  6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It's hot. Really hot. I didn't get a bottle but a local bar did and for $45 I got a 2 oz pour on a huge ice cube. First sip, mouthfeel was great but it burned like a red hot going down. I had to let the ice cube melt a bit for it to be enjoyable. I'd be in at $150 but nothing more.

armedferret likes this.
  7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I had a pour of the Stagg Jr batch 16 at a bar, it was not as great as some of the past years. LMK what you think.

8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd do a pour for about that. We have one decent bourbon/rye bar/restaurant in my AO, but it's $75/oz. basically the van winkle series is the only thing on their menu more expensive per ounce.

I'm not that desperate to try it. :p

I'm sure i'll get some at some point. The good news is, there's loads of options to help pass the time trying. ;)

GatorFL likes this.
  9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I really dig it. To my mouth it doesn't drink as hot as the label alleges. It's warm, of course but....yeah i'm a fan. BUT....given how infrequently i see it, it's definitely going up above with the Black Tot Last Consignment. ;)

10. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Thanks for the advice!

11. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Thanks! I have a buddy in up state NY. I spoke to him this AM. He is going to look for me. If I am able to find something great, I will report back. Appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions.

armedferret likes this.
  12. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    If you haven’t found anything I would recommend Calumet Farm 16 yr Single Rack Black. If you find it I’m guessing it should be in the $145-$175 range. I think it’s very good and the proof isn’t crazy high at 106.

armedferret likes this.
  13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Don’t over think it. He had a bad week… Head to your local store and get something good to ease the nerves, it’s the thought that matters. And if it’s good yet not great ($$$) no biggie if half the bottle is enjoyed. Good of you to do this for him.

HardTen, Level7 and armedferret like this.
  14. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Thank you!

15. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
  16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Had an appt at Reed and the Nex had the 9 cases theyve been sitting on available finally. Barrel pick 375s. Sadly 1 per person per day. 30 bux tho. No complaints.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HardTen, Wikdstrate and soulsea like this.
  17. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    #1042 soulsea, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Most of us are always on the hunt for excellent sub $50 ‘hidden gem’ whiskeys … this one was recommended to me and it does not disappoint. One of the best sub $50 bourbons I’ve ever had.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jahdish and armedferret like this.
  18. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed, that one is fantastic!! Regularly under 30 when I could get it, sadly it's being made a distillery-only release. Price point will remain under 50 though so anytime I'm passing near Bardstown I'll be stopping. :D

soulsea likes this.
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I got it my local store in Charleston SC.
    I'll grab you one next time it pops up. :)

armedferret likes this.
  20. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh i have two unopened I'm good. Pay it forward to another who maybe hasnt tried? :)

soulsea likes this.
  21. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Is it considerably better than the EV White Label BIB?

22. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    All depends on the flavor profile you prefer. It varies slightly with the vintage as befits a single barrel expression of course, i love both though the vintage probably moreso.

23. oldman1982

oldman1982 Rookie

Jun 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Harris M
    armedferret, NbyNW and GatorFL like this.
  24. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
  25. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    HardTen, jahdish, NbyNW and 1 other person like this.