Seeking for some advice before 512 TR purchase | FerrariChat

Seeking for some advice before 512 TR purchase

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Lual, Aug 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lual

Lual Rookie

Aug 27, 2022
    Hi all,

I am looking into a 60.000km Euro 512 TR, first on the road in June‘92, and seeking for some opinions given the huge know how here. They are asking Eur 175.000, not an official Ferrari dealer.

Engine was out 3 months ago, new belt done etc (I am including below an internet translation to English from description of official Ferrari dealer invoice, so some descriptions are not be 100% accurate). Invoice amount was 23k Euro.

Car looks good although I did just a basic inspection. Six or eight service stamps every few thousand Km, although 2 or 3 of them are in cheap road garages. Is this an issue in terms of future valuation?

Besides the engine out, are there other major service cost that I should expect with such mileage?

replace toothed belts, tension rollers, all V-belts, water hoses, remove air filter + spark plugs, disassemble, overhaul, assemble cylinder heads, fit new valve stem seals, adjust valve clearance, replace cylinder head gaskets, VDD, camshaft oil seals + crankshaft oil seals. Reseal the oil pump on the front cover, reseal the engine block to the gearbox/oil pan, reseal the gearbox selector shaft. Clean engine completely. grind the cylinder

Thanks for any comment

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Poor service documentation or inadequate service history will affect value as well as other things.

3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    We can't give you much advice without photos and any documentation.

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Service history shows new valve seals, new head gaskets, normally all of that would not be needed at only 60k kilometers. Also the words..."grind the cylinder"....sounds rather concerning. A full pre-purchase inspection is strongly recommended.

5. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013

Compare it with the other 230k eur 512TR they have and you have your answer.

"cheap road garages" won't affect anything on that car and most euro cars.

Make sure the 23k service was done correctly and buy the car.

6. Lual

Lual Rookie

Aug 27, 2022
    I posted some photos but couldn’t post a video of the car due to size

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks for taking the time to post, but those photo's are not really helpful. Would need careful photos of interior/dash and seats, motor compartment and bonnet. Also body and chassis. My advice get a PPI. But if you are a car guy you can first tell if you want to go that far. Look at the car carefully cosmetically. Is there any issue that put up a red flag? Try every switch and button on the car. If things do not work, Question why. fuse boxes are all going bad on the 30 year old cars. $1,500 Read on Fchat what to look for. Age of tires? Everyone seems to be concerned about repaint issues, but it the car has been driven 60,000K and if the paint is good, who cares? Crappy repaints however will stretch your tolerance for cosmetic issue and that is an individual issue. Cold start the car, It will probably smoke a little on startup should goes away quickly. Drive the car, how does it shift. 2nd may be tough at first, but within a few warm up miles smooth out. If not question. Any noise from the tranny? Redoing a transmission and upgrading the diff and new clutch could run you $15,-20K. Look at and touch break rotors. Should be smooth and no grooves, any noise while driving? Fronts are expensive $1200 each and hard to find. Rears are cheap and available. My car had a lot of miles and many issues when I bought it for about 60% of market rate at the time. I spent every penny of that 40% getting it up to a great standard over a 2 year period, Well worth it, as it is joy to drive. The kicker has been the electric power steering I in stalled. LOVE IT!

raysur likes this.
  8. Lual

Lual Rookie

Aug 27, 2022
    thanks for the insight