What should I do with my 575? | FerrariChat

What should I do with my 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Sep 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This is a terrible thing to admit but like someone girding their loins in AA, I am doing it here, in the toughest but most interesting environment.

Next month it will be a year since I drove my 575. (It's a 2004 manual/gated TdF blue over tan, FHP.) It's a perfect car in so many ways...except for my life. I live in central London, walk to work, and when I don't do that I fly to work. Weekends are kids' activities and as they grow up, well, my wife and I don't need to drive around London.

I do pick up kids/do family stuff/drive around in a car, still, and for that I specced and had built a Brabus 600 C63S AMG Cabrio, just while such things exist, it has back seats and is automatic.

When the opportunity comes to truly have fun, I also have a gated 430 Spider and wife/kids prefer short blasts in that because the roof opens.

I also am lucky to know and review latest products of car manufacturers so in any spare weekends from the above (typically 2-3 a year) I am in a Lambo, AM, McLaren, Ferrari, etc.

Fortunate etc but that is not my point. My question is, what do I do about the beautiful 575 in my heated garage?

I love driving it but do not have the dream life required. That would be, living on one of the Corniches, or in Montecito, and slipping on the loafers and shooting off to meetings a few times a week between puffing on Behikes and sipping single malt in my pool. Although, given traffic, that may not work so well either.

I don't need to sell it. Oddly, my kids, who prefer the other cars, beg me not to sell it as they say "It's the classic"! But, I'm not a zillionaire and it costs money just to keep nice. In the next 2 years I can imagine taking it on 2 nice trips, at best, and zero at worst.

Interested in opinions. My wife and kids all think I should keep it! But financially it's a chunk of cash to be sitting there. But, I love the car.

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can’t wait to read the responses (seriously).

I need to join this AA meeting as well.

My track car- turbo Miata next to the Maranello hasn’t even been started in over 5 years. Wife says let it go…..but that’s silly….I love all my mistresses!

many of us have “problems”….I definitely don’t have answers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ryalex and Mirek like this.
  3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Ferrari55whoa I agree with your take and BTW nice bike.
    Total coincidence but I myself also have a 20 year old (z06) track car sitting next to my Ducati (748) next to my Ferrari.

“If it is paid for why sell it ?”
    Is always my thought.

That 575 shifter will just climb and climb in value anyway plus you can drive it and not really worry about a lot of miles because it is “built in” for special occasions once or twice a year.

Now I am going to go google what living in Corniches or in Montecito is all about !

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m a great buyer and terrible seller! ;-)

5. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I was pretty much in the exact same situation as you when I had my 550. I ended up trading it in for an FF so I can enjoy the car with my wife and kids who are now 1 and 3 yrs old. Otherwise the combination of living in Miami traffic, the few opportunities to actually use it, and no open roads to enjoy when the stars would align, it ended up being too frustrating to just sit in the garage gathering dust.

I miss the 550 every day and keep following every new listing just in case, but I've enjoyed the FF ownership much more.

race4s likes this.
  6. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 NE550, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Darius, as it seems you are looking for reasons to keep your 575, well, just keep it. It seems you really do adore it, as does your family. I'm pretty sure you'll have regrets down the line if you sell it.

I've had many fun cars over the years, but the only one I regret selling was my 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang. Bought it in 1988 when I was an active duty naval officer (and Shelbys were still affordable to mere mortals), and daily drove it, autocross it, and had a blast with it over the next 4 or 5 years. Then I left the Navy, moved halfway across the county, and started a new career and a family. So, by the time I sold it in 2000, I had two kids well into their myriad school-age activities plus a third child on the way, a busy career, a wife with a busy career, and all that goes with that frenetic stage of life. There was little or no time to enjoy cars, I was hardly driving it anymore, it was worth at least 4-5x what I bought it for 12 years earlier -- the proverbial pile of cash sitting in my garage -- so I sold it. And I regret it to this day, especially now knowing that it is worth probably somewhere around $500k! But more than that, it was just a special car that I really loved and had a terrific ownership experience with.

This stage of life will pass, you and your wife will become empty nesters, and you will find time to enjoy your toys and hobbies. Do what you need to do to keep your Maranello, but try to find time here and there to drive it if for no other reason than to remind yourself why you're keeping it. Then you will have no regrets.

AtomicPunk88 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- I look for excuses to drive mine, so she gets out at least twice a week. Post office, shop errands, short round trip, anything that gets the oil temperature up to 160 F. If you really enjoy driving other cars more, then.....

I had a brand new C6 Z06 7 liter Corvette that I only drove 537 miles total, so I traded it towards the 575M so I would be more excited and drive her more.

Boomhauer and Hawkeye like this.
  8. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    Keep it. Cannot replace it later and candidly the most beautiful and classy styling in Ferrari past and present

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    So you have the most modern manual transmission ferrari v12(yes some 599's are manual but let's leave them out of this for the moment) and v8.

Darius, these are probably the best 2 m/t(performance)ferraris one could have..... this is a no brainer for me.... as said earlier, kids grow up quickly and you won't need/want to work so much.... then what ????

My father still has his Alfa Romeo 1750 gtv that he bought new in 69.... all of his kids never want that car to be sold, aside from the car being fantastic, there are so many beautiful memories connected to it for all of us... this is also a factor.

10. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Many owners end up selling their P&J because of family pressure, so consider yourself happy already that your family supports you to keep it. The only reason for selling at the moment would be to take advantage of the current bubble, but even then it doesn't sound like you either need the money or even have desires for a potentially worthy replacement. Perhaps you just need to take it out of for a drive to remind you of why you like it.

AtomicPunk88 and DBomb117 like this.
  11. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Darius,

Life evolves. You have young(ish) kids now, but you are only a few years from being an empty nester. With each year, you’re also closer to slowing down your current vocational lifestyle, whenever that may be and whatever the degree to which you begin to transition into that chapter, it will happen. And I assume access to the newest toys for a weekend will slow as well.

So my question to you has two parts:

1) Do you envision a future lifestyle where you would not only use the car(s) more, but have more reason than ever to own it/them?

If a summer place up in the corniches or a similar proxy is a consideration at some point, that is important context in additional to he gradual loosening of your current lack of free time. Those considerations should influence how you structure decision-making today.

2) Do you see a void in that vision if your 575 wasn’t there?

There are always cars to buy, always. And many will check the boxes on paper. But Maranellos are certainly special cars (despite the obvious selection bias in this sub forum) and their timeless attributes will continue to get better over time. Personally, I find that I create connections with cars and that adds more value to me every year. So, if you don’t have to sell, see a semblance of the concept above crystallizing in the future, value the (growing) Maranello greatness, and subscribe to the personal attachment psychology, then you need to consider much more than the current snapshot of your life.

All that said, if you see yourself peddling a 275 GTB down to Ramatuelle with your wife, I wouldn’t be mad at you! Go pump your 575 liquidation funds into whatever illicit black market investments it takes to bring that image to life!

12. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    There is a time to enjoy it and a time to let it go...over the 50 years owning cars, several went (that I regret now !) but you cannot keep them (in good shape). Let an other happy guy/girls enjoy it.

EnzoItaly and Hawkeye like this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Themaven this might be a silly question.....is there anyone in your area that has a 6MT Maranello in a vintage/exotic rental fleet?

I've done that a lot (generally) but only 1x EVER in the US have I seen a 550 out for a rental (I think it was in PA so the other side of the USA).

A lifetime ago here in San Francisco "Club Sportiva" had a timeshare and I got to "scratch the itch" on a bunch of great vintage cars, a Morgan an XKE, Bentley Turbo-R; a 993, a Triumph, a 60's Corvette.....etc etc.....that was some of the best money I ever spent.

Maybe if there is an option like that for you, it does make sense to let the car go and then lean on a rental option for that 1 or 2x a year fun time?

One other thing I'm trying to do with my 3 friends that I've been doing vintage baja racing with since 2012 is buy or build a 3 or 4 seat vintage race rig and then LLC it.... like a lot of guys do with airplanes..... Any chance you could sell to a friend (or more than one in a group) that has the same level of care for your baby AND storage and then you could "share it"?

14. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Keep it !!!

550/575 are one of the best looking V12 Ferrari ever built, you will have no chance to get such a stunning example in the future.
    And very often the time changes, and you could be lucky that you didn't sell the car.

What do you want to do with the money in these times ?

Daniel

15. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Oh, 1 thing

Install 6-1 headers and you never sell the car, you will totally forget the idea to sell it.
    ;)

Daniel

marce likes this.
  16. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    The seven-year itch strikes again…

If the value is truly inconsequential to you, why don’t you tuck it away somewhere (either in professional storage, or perhaps at a second home) and have a rethink in 5 years time?

I grew up in Aberdeenshire and there was a small motor museum up there that would take interesting cars in on long term loan to display - essentially providing free/secure storage… Not sure if it was always heated!

It is of course impossible to say what it might be worth ‘in hard currency / real terms’ in the future but one thing is fairly certain in that it will become harder to enjoy DRIVING these relics of a period that is fast slipping away.

I get the feeling that ownership of this particular car has been something of a love affair for you.

I certainly loved my F1 but I was under no illusion that for the vast majority of the time, the 986 Boxster that I ran in parallel was the more accomplished sportscar - deeply satisfying to use on a daily basis.

I guess it’s also fair to say that your initial infatuation was partly informed by the widely held view on here that the value might take-off, but it hasn’t really happened. Yet.

If you can spare a week, why don’t you find an excuse to put another 3,000 miles on it with a trans-European jaunt and then decide whether to stick or twist?

I no longer have my F1 but I most definitely do have the indelible memory of driving 575 miles in a single day from my then home in La Côté to Paraggi and back….

All the best!

17. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Like Terry mentioned, I find reasons to take mine out al least once a week. I can always find errands to do, often take the long way home, and come back with a big smile and in a better mood.

NE550 likes this.
  18. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Simple

Send it to me. I will look after it and store it for you.
    My 575 is lonely and needs a companion.

problem solved.

NE550 likes this.
  19. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Keep it-too gorgeous to let go.

DZ-96 likes this.
  20. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    A gated 575 is the last true gentleman’s Ferrari. From 599 onward they became much more aggressive.

Yours is in unicorn spec too! You have to hang on to it

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Darius, I was in a not entirely dissimilar quandary before I sold my 550. Lack of back seats meant that it got left behind when we wanted to take my daughter along. Manual gearbox meant that it got left behind when I was likely to want my wife to drive home after I had over-indulged. It just didn’t get used enough. Whenever I did drive it, I loved it, but with UK traffic and speed cameras, I rarely had the opportunity to drive it properly, so I was constantly frustrated. So I sold it and bought a Corniche instead. 4 seats, automatic, relaxing to drive, I can take the roof off on sunny days, and the bonus is that it's a perfect match for my Turbo R. if I had limitless cash, and garaging ditto, I'd have loved to have kept it too, but it would have been wasted and probably have become temperamental due to lack of regular use, and in any event, I don't. It's good to have one manual car to drive when only a manual will do - you have your 430, I have my E-type - but one is enough. And manual 575s are fetching good money just now, I believe - sell it, treasure the memories, and don't look back.

Qavion and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you everyone for your interesting, challenging and thought provoking, and naturally contradictory replies. I would like to try and respond properly tomorrow night when I anticipate having a bit more time.

I have to say Bluebottle has given me pause for thought! An ageing 60s rock star (he was very big in the 60s apparently) who is a neighbour, has one.

ryalex likes this.
  23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    On the subject of ageing (well, deceased actually, but that's not the point) '60s rock stars, you have just missed this one:

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa080-lot-18597-1973-rolls-royce-corniche-convertible-ex-maurice-gibb

24. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I love pre 1990 Rolls Royce. However, their driving dynamics are like a floating 1950s sedan.

I too have a 6MT 575 and there really is nothing to move to from it. Imo, the only reason to move one is to get into a true classic (some 250 variant maybe even a Maser 3500). I would trade 3 to 1 for a Vignale spider and probably regret it. The 575 is just darn reliable and and a great combo of analog/digital. It really has no equal if you are a driver.

haroonok, Ferrari55whoa and Ffre92 like this.
  25. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Had a 66 GT350 (SFM6S1137) that I wish I still had. It's in the Miller Motorsport collection now, as it had special history of "rebodying" the Pabst R model - 5R536 years ago....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login