Sold - 2011 Maserati Quattroporte S | FerrariChat

Sold 2011 Maserati Quattroporte S

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Jkuz, Aug 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Let me try this again…

It’s been fun, but it’s time to give someone else a chance to enjoy my 2011 Quattroporte S. I bought it a couple of years ago from Maserati San Diego, after they had basically torn down the engine and fixed everything they could find. I believe that started because of a smell from a coolant leak.

I was always a little weary of these cars because of their less than stellar maintenance reputation, so I was eager to take up the dealer’s offer of a three year bumper to bumper warranty. My intention was to keep the car for two years, and then transfer the warranty to the next owner, so they wouldn’t have to worry about any huge repair bills. The two years are up, so here you go.

I’ve only had one issue with the car in the two years I’ve had it, and that was a dead battery, which, of course, would not have been covered. I took the car in, and the mechanics could not find anything wrong with the battery (it was less than a year old), or any components having to deal with the charging system. They charged the battery, sent me on my way, and I haven’t had any other issues with the car.

The car is a lot of fun to drive, especially when you engage the “sport” mode and use the paddle shifters. It’s not a light car, but it has plenty of power and sounds better than anything else out there.

As far as issues, they are minor. Some of the buttons are sticky, but I cleaned up the worst of them, using denatured alcohol or armor-all interior cleaner. There is a hairline scratch on the front left fender and a couple of small scratches on the rear bumper that have been retouched. Other than that, the car is in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. It comes with the factory manuals, tools, trickle charger, etc.

I plan on listing it on Auto trader next weekend, but thought I’d post it here first to give y’all first dibs. I’m going to list it in the mid-high 20’s, but if an F-chatter wants it for $23,000, we’ll call it sold.

In person transactions only. Send me an e-mail ([email protected]) and we can make arrangements for a test drive and inspection. I’m in Carlsbad, in north San Diego county.
    View attachment 3385618 View attachment 3385619 View attachment 3385620 View attachment 3385621 View attachment 3385622 View attachment 3385623 View attachment 3385624

2. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    technom3 likes this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi!

How many miles?

4. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Sorry for the omission, but it has 58,XXX miles.

5. fineito

fineito Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    Good luck with the sale, Jkuz.

For whatever it may be worth for someone considering the purchase of a QP5, I purchased a 2012 QP5 Sport GTS in May 2018 with 48,000 miles. The remaining balance of 2 years CPO transferred to me. There was a fair amount of CPO work performed by the Mas dealer while under the seller's ownership. I now have 70,000 miles and nothing has needed repair under my ownership. It is my DD throughout the year (I purchased a set of rims from Formula Dynamics and mount Winter Sottos for the Chicago winter.) I have confidence in the car. I also had an inexplicable dead battery (maybe 2 years old) checked out by my Mas dealer with no faults identified. I suspect some circuit did not fully close, but, in any event, it has not happened since. Sticky buttons are common; it is what it is.

I really like my car. It drives much smaller than what one might expect. Being the GTS trim, the ride is firm but well damped. I love the engine/exhaust sound. I have no intention to replace the car anytime soon.

Jkuz and paulchua like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed with everything you said.

GLWS.

7. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Thanks for the comments! I really do like the car, but figured it would be much easier to sell with a year left on the warranty. If I can’t get a decent price for the car, I’ll be happy to keep it and keep driving it. I’ll be sure to get a service at the dealer before the warranty expires and have them go through it with a fine-toothed comb, but the only thing it needs right now is an oil change. It’s a hoot to drive and WAY more comfortable than my 308. I’ve read a lot of comments regarding these cars on bring-a-trailer, and most are positive. The earlier models with the older transmission seemed to be the main contributor to the negative comments. There was a Maserati mechanic on BAT that had extensive comments on the cars, and he used one for a DD for many years and loved it. I could possibly end up keeping it for a long time!

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Beautiful car!! Hard to believe nice QPs like yours are only valued in the mid-upper 20s. I purchased my QP in new in 05. I still love it. Sure the CambioCorsa is a bit slow [ok a lot] but I am a vet of knowing how to drive it. Mine has 42k miles on it and since it's not worth much I will keep it. Been relatively trouble free other than spending a ton on fixing stickies over the years.

GLWS!!! Somebody here in FChat should pick up this bargain!!

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maserati makes the best interiors. They put Ferrari to shame.

technom3, Jkuz and MrMark like this.
  10. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Than
    Thanks SCantera! I haven’t driven a QP with the earlier transmission, but the ZF that they went to in ‘08 was a big improvement, from what I’ve read. The shifts are smooth and pretty quick, especially compared to my wife’s Miata.

if you want to save money on the stickies, there are a lot of videos on YouTube on how to do it yourself. I’ve found that denatured alcohol or Armor-all interior cleaner work well. It does take some effort, though. The frame around my Nav display looked pretty bad and I used the AA to clean it up.

SCantera and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Car is sold.

Boomhauer and Mistahtowsan like this.
  12. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    When getting the car checked out for the buyer, I learned something from the mechanic that may explain the battery issues. If you park the car and leave any windows open, the security system will look for anyone/anything poking through the window, and this uses battery power. When you park the car for any extended period, then, make sure the windows are up (or the security system disabled) to avoid possible battery drainage.

gsfent likes this.
  13. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Love the Qp. 06 with close to 90k miles...one of my faves!

One of the best looking and stylish sedans ever made imo.