Exhaust question | FerrariChat

Exhaust question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Sep 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    When I bought it, my 575 (2004, 6MT, FHP) had 575 Tubi back boxes fitted. The originals also came with, they are in my garage. I love it with the Tubis, which for me solved the big problem of the 575, the lack of sound.

However, my wife doesn't like the sound. It's not the volume she objects to, she loves our 430 Spider at full blast, and numerous other supercars of high volume. She's a musician and says the 575 at idle (only at idle) has an offensive drone. Idling is a fact if you want to drive out of London, and it's an issue, musicians hate bad music.

The best solution would be a Fabio exhaust system or headers but I can't justify a multi thousand extra spend on a car I may drive just a few times a year. I don't want to go back to stock. Are there any tuneful solutions? X pipe, with or without Tubis? Any further ideas?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- A set of HGTC mufflers or Fabio's mufflers would likely fix that. Your 575M has straight center pipes (post AN 51797) and the 575M Tubis were actually developed for earlier 575Ms with the center muffler/resonator. HGTC was designed around straight center pipes and Fabio's mufflers are optimized for his center H pipe.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very interesting, thank you, I will explore that option.

4. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I also have the straight center pipes and the Tubi (rumore version at that). Most of the time I am happy with the sound but it certainly can be a bit much at times with all the pops that sometimes come out when I lift off the throttle. I also considered changing rear back the stock valved which I have. However, a friend with a 575 has this set up and I when I drove in his car, I thought it was just a little too quiet for my taste. HGTC may be the perfect choice, but looks like $5K or so. Would love to hear what it sounds like before diving in.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting. Another consideration is weight. The stock back boxes are surprisingly heavy, they live in sealed bags in my garage. The Tubi ones are apparently half the weight (there's a thread on that somewhere). It's quite a lot of weight to lose beyond the back axle.

But I am just a bit wary of going too loud, the car doesn't look loud so that would be out of character, but nor should it be as quiet as stock. I sat in a Fchat member's HGTC and thought it sounded good, although I think mine is louder with the Tubi back boxes, and I would be just fine with that if it weren't for the musical wife!

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    HGTC is very quiet with the Fabio header + cat + H pipe + Supersprint over axle pipes.

Likely would be a bit louder with H pipe > OEM straight pipe.

Each his own.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mine is definitely not very or even a little quiet with exactly the same set-up you outlined. Not sure where you got that information, but it is not true for 135171, even with the valves closed. With the valves open, sounds like she should be at Le Mans.

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #8 Auraraptor, Sep 14, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    That’s my set up on / experience with 137318 with valve controller. It’s all relative…it’s very quiet valves closed compared to my old set up of Tubi “loud”/race version / oem straight mid pipe and compared to my other cars (and locals with the usual custom barking and thumping V8 trucks). Valves closed you can carry on a normal volume conversation at nearly all speeds < 3500 RPM. Even valves open on light throttle that’s true (although that might be due to the lack of drone)

Maybe because it’s only a few miles and needs more time to break in?

Attached Files:

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Auraraptor, at idle do you have a loud drone or is it relatively quiet? Mine has a loud drone at idle, then calms down and builds up as you would expect through the rev range.

It’s the idle that is the issue in my case

10. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    I thought my HGTC OEM exhaust had a lot of drone at idle (not enjoyable to me and certainly not to a non enthusiast passenger). When I talked to Fabio about getting the full exhaust I asked if his mufflers would be redundant given my oe HGTC mufflers but he said his design reduces drone.

I can only compare full factory with HGTC mufflers to full Fabio headers, cats, h pipe and Fabio muffler but in my experience the different in drone at idle is night and day. Fabio’s set up is quiet with valves closed and ZERO drone at idle.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am at work but the short version is no drone

I will write out the long version in a little bit

If I were you, I would first start by buying Fabio’s H pipe and see if that fixes your problem

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    When i picked up my 550 headers, Fabio and i had a testrun in his 575 with his full system with cats and H-pipes.

There was absolut no drone, loudness was in a very civil area, and man, this car pulls like a train.

Daniel

Themaven likes this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting, thank you.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Right. Sounds like a plan right now.

It's insane that Fabio, the Leonardo da Vinci of Maranello exhausts, is actually still banned, rather than honoured with an Fchat knighthood. But that's another subject.

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ok longer reply.

In the last 100 miles I have trialed several different combinations. Here are my thoughts. That also means I have not broken in the exhaust as I have < 50 miles on my headers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Themaven likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note also there is a difference in sound on these exhausts from when they are cold to when they are hot.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That is super helpful, thank you, interesting you replicate the drone with the Tubis. I wouldn't have even thought of it as such had my wife not raised it but now I can't get away from it.

I can't work on cars myself and my dealerships are a bit of a way away, so experimentation is limited. I may try the Fabio H pipe to see if it gets rid of drone, even with Tubi mufflers. Very reluctant to refit those heavy OEM mufflers, seems a backwards step.

Taz BTW I am not sure mine is a late AN. It was first registered in 2004 but manual 575s sat around in dealerships so it may have been assembled quite a lot earlier. Will check when I am with the car next. That would give a different exhaust answer I think if it's earlier?

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Assembly Number 51797 (data plate in front of engine) is when the 575M went to straight center pipes and matching mufflers. That would be around SN 1345xx. Or you can just look under her and see if she has the center muffler/resonator.

Sounds like you need to get her MOT'd and back on the road. She hates just sitting inactively.

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Indeed, all true. I should really drive her around when I get back to London this weekend, enliven the millions in town for the Royal ceremonies...

MOT is actually valid til end of this year..

20. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Darius

Better to get MOT now when the winter is far away.
    ;)
    (Taz's example for a reason to drive her)

Daniel

Themaven likes this.
  21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I've got 575 Tubis, along with Hyperflo cats. All else stock (I believe). I think it sounds great! Has a deeper tone (that I prefer) vs a high pitched, shrill tone like Capristo and some others seem to have.