575 sports v comfort settings | FerrariChat

575 sports v comfort settings

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulsantoni, Sep 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    I bought my 575 nearly three years ago and up until this summer had always driven it in Sports mode. The previous owner advised me only to drive it in Sports mode for better shifts etc. I had tried non sport mode a few times and was not keen on the softer suspension so switched it back quickly.

A car friend was a passenger for a longish trip this summer and commented on the ride being a bit firm. To appease him I switched off sport mode. We then drove the car that way for a while.
    I now honestly prefer it in non sport mode! The gearbox is sooooo much smoother and the changes better and easier to manage. I am still not keen on the softer suspension setting, but is easily liveable with. With so much power on tap, it is easy to drive very quickly without pushing the car and needing that extra body control. To push it hard to get the full benefit means driving at very illegal speeds. I did have a great late night high speed drive home last week on near empty country and motorway roads, but not sufficient to tax the car too much.

Am i just getting too old? Does anyone else agree?

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Wow, he thought sport mode was firm? Don’t put him in a 997 with the “sport” button pressed :D

I still have mine in sport at all times because 1) I find the ride perfectly comfy so why not and 2) I much prefer the shift character that way AND my understanding is the system does not slip the clutch as much in sport.

3. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    yes

4. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I have had mine for 6 months or so and do prefer non sport mode so far….Seems smoother and still has nice responsiveness. Will switch off to some Sport driving in fall here to compare.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I never select Sport mode until I have ~160 F on the oil temperature gauge. Do not want the system banging shifts when cold. To be honest, with FHP, not that much difference in ride between Sport and Normal. Surprised to hear it is that apparent in vanilla 575Ms. Things I notice most in Sport are the shifting and ASR lessening.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    To me the 575 is a GT car and certainly for UK roads it responds best in non-sport - the ride is better and the whole experience more pleasurable and appropriate to the vehicle - so to answer your question Paul its not just you getting old !

JSP likes this.
  7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "To be honest, with FHP, not that much difference in ride between Sport and Normal."
    That was always my impression until a couple of years ago. Was "pushing it" on tight curves and elevation changes when I noticed a distinct change in handling. My first thought was something had gone wrong with the suspension, "is it going to get worse, need a transport?", etc. Very shortly there after I nearly lost it into a rock face at a sharp curve...wife thought she was a goner. Turned out that I had inadvertently hit the switch and turned off sport mode. Turned it back on and no more drama. Convinced me that it made a big difference in certain situations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    My car is a 6MT (so no shifting changes) with what I call faux HGTC (HGTC minus steering rack harness sensors and CCB).

When I hit the sport button it’s like my butt has clenched— much tighter car. I usually leave it off as the car is pretty great in standard mode.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, you can feel the difference in hard cornering with Sport, but I do not feel much difference in ride.

10. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Good point.....I really couldn't tell the difference either in general driving....really shocked me when I really needed what it added to the suspension and didn't have it.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stephen- Sport mode also speeds up the shock ECU's stiffening up the outside shock absorber during cornering. Also stiffens the shocks during heavy braking and acceleration events. On early 575Ms the corner lead-in signal to the shock ECU comes from the accelerometers only, but on post AN 52556 575Ms, the steering position sensor also chimes in to take out accelerometer lag. Happens in Normal, too, but not as quickly or as much.

12. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think the consensus is much like my feelings. I had a few 'moments ' in my 575, when the car got very sideways but that was in sport mode. Like some of my older cars i wonder if the breakaway may be more benign in non sport. However I have yet to have a big 'moment' since I switched over. Only a matter of time.........lol

13. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    " On early 575Ms the corner lead-in signal to the shock ECU comes from the accelerometers only..."
    My 575 with FHP is '02, so "early".

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stephen- Yup, mine (Nov 03) is only one or two 575Ms before the steering position sensor. I also updated my shock ECU to 201674, which actually said FHP on the packaging. Only place I have ever seen a 575M FHP shock ECU mentioned. Definitely not in the tech bulletin or parts catalog.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Mine is a gated manual so gearshift considerations do not apply. With my 430 (also 6MT) I drive in Sport around town and Race when pushing on, and it works well. With my 575 I put it into sport when really pushing, however due to being an older chassis its tolerance for imperfections is less than that of the 430 and it can be bumped out of line in Sport by road imperfections, of which there are many in the UK. So I often don't use Sport unless I know I am on a smooth road.
    Tyres may make a difference also, MPSS on 575 vs MPS4Ss on 430.

16. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    I have an 03 with FHP ….very few made

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    From my small data base, about 15% of 575Ms had FHP. None before AN 52556 had the steering wheel position sensor.