1999 Maranello 550 sold for $47k | FerrariChat

1999 Maranello 550 sold for $47k

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 997, Sep 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 997

997 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2015
    When to see the car yesterday and the engine was totally destroyed beyond repair. The mileage was at 16k and it was sold in auction for 47k. It doesn’t have a savage title but it was sitting for 15 years in a warehouse. Interior was covered with mould everywhere. So probably the buyer will get a new engine, repair and sale as new . Vin ZFFZR49AXX0116995 Good Luck

I would probably paid 20k and I will do the work in my shop.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bay, Texas Forever and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    id buy it

Auraraptor likes this.
  4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #4 ralfabco, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    Install a Chevy 454 with a Detroit Blower.

This car will need considerable coin before it looks and runs good in a stock configuration with F parts. Add up all of the #'s. Probably cheaper to buy a nice documented driver without issues. If a talented DIY' takes on the project the cost of their personal time devoted to the project needs to be taken into account. Seen quite a few adds where someone claims X amount of dollars in receipts for parts but the seller never considered his own personal time into the equation {DIY/donor car + cost of parts + specialized shop labor + time devoted to the project = cost of project}.

A few years ago you could find an entry level beat up driver (that runs) for the mid 60's and up. craigslist. no idea if these types of cars were involved in any type of accidents/fender benders. 20K more would be a really nice car.

mobile.de had a stripped out car that was modded for track/street racing. I think it has a white exterior finish.

Buy a complete ready to go car. Cash will not be able to clean select items with a vehicle with known significant issues.

JSP, 997 and Themaven like this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You could make a racecar out of it but only if the chassis was super cheap like $10K. That car is worthless except as a rolling shell. We should watch out for that VIN so the next owner knows the real history. That much mold means all wiring destoryed too. If you remove interior, wiring and engine you got a rolling chassis. If this car had water damage hence the mold then the trans is destroyed too.

These are the kinds of things that should be in the 550 registry

JSP, Mirek, 997 and 1 other person like this.
  6. 997

997 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2015
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Makes you wonder what happened to it. One chamber destroyed like it broke a valve but they are not known for that.

Some people can break a steel ball.

Texas Forever and crinoid like this.
  8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Puerto Rico plates. Google Just for fun from 1999-2021 they had 42 weather events tropical storm or hurricane that effected the Island. So yeah....mold!...and probably a lot more.

9. 997

997 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, ask me . I have to keep the humidity control in top conditions, and leaving 5 miles away from the ocean cleaning and ceramic coat is mandatory. Mold and rust occur frequently, including aluminum (white rust)

10. 997

997 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2015
    Per owner they never did the cam belts and the belt snap. I saw the interior of the block and one piston rod did a hole, several pistons were broken. First time I see a Ferrari block with that kind of damage. The block will be nice for a man-cave table

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oh that cant be. Just ask around this place. You'll find 100 idiots who say belts don't break.

2NA, Il Tifoso, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So the car was 8 years old and had 16,000 miles and a belt broke.
    Hmm.

Il Tifoso, 997 and JSP like this.
  13. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    At least he saved a little not having to get a PPI;):confused::D

14. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    A broken belt leads to broken PISTONS, plural? Bent Valves yes.. pistons, hmmm... Were some liberties were taken with the story or the actual damage was caused by something else?

Hydrolock and then it sat?

15. 997

997 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2015
    If the car is driving and in gear when the belt snap several pitons will probably blow with valves. If the car is parked in neutral the damage could be less, maybe bend valves with some kisses to the pistons but no damage to other areas (most cases). That’s what I had seen before but is a matter of luck I think.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Several valves are broken off. Ever seen the damage from broken valves? Generally leads to pistons with holes in them.

I am surprised the valves broke but hydrolocking does not do that. A broken belt can.

It obviously has broken valves, it obviously has combustion chamber damage, it will have destroyed pistons. Being from a broken belt is possible. Hydrolocking is not on the list of possibilities.

17. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Yup... my bad indeed. I read piston rod and thought bent Connnecting rod more, but damaging showing is telling

18. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Fair chance the crankshaft is shot, too. don’t forget if one belt snaps, there’s still a 2.7l L6 driving it.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Typically modern Ferrari valves just bend and pistons experience no real damage. This car is a surprise to me and I suspect there is more to the story.

2NA, 997 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And why would anything be wrong with the crankshaft?

2NA likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those 7 mm valve stems make pretty good mechanical fuses, but ultimately the pieces have to go somewhere if the engine keeps turning, especially if the valve stem breaks.

23. 997

997 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2015
  24. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #24 franschman, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    I once dropped a valve on my Lancia Fanalone, going full bore on a race track. Valve penetrated head and piston and scratched the block that was already on its last oversize. Piston almost stuck in the bore. Upon inspection we found the big end had had metal-to-metal contact and the nitrided layer on the crankshaft cracked beyond repair as a result of the excessive load.
    Very time consuming to assemble a 'new' engine, as these are very rare, half a century old and parts are almost at ferrari level prices.

My point is that often the valve penetrates the piston as per your pic, it may expand somewhat and cause the damage I suffered.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

997 likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Except this has happened literally thousands of times on Ferraris with no damage to crank. A 550 crank is just a little bit more advanced than a Fulvia. I like and have owned Lancias but the engines aside from the D50 are pretty Victorian in design and construction.