Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 37 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What a weird 550 we had hammer today on BaT

HERE is the internal thread where guys were commenting off of BaT: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/red-euro-550-on-bat.664133/page-2#post-148706856

This auction started as a dumpster fire due to how weird the seller was about the title and lack of smog and how it was titled to an LLC but could and would pass smog (even though it now clearly stated it needed a referee) and guaranteed it able to be titled to a CA individual even without a CARB cert on a federalized import.......and then somehow at the end it evolved into a "positive for the seller almost supernova"...given what the car is....it was bizarre because at least the last three guys that ran the car from $97k to the finish line "felt good" meaning "likely not ghost bidders". Apparently there were three guys in the room today.....this one went really strong.....surprising.....heck, shocking....If this was worth $146k then @root should have gotten $300k for his.

What is really crazy is how it went above one of the recent expertly sold and VERY well presented and extremely well documented "high mile" but in CA legally cars: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148684489/ That 550 had 64.5k miles and hammered for $126k. How today's went to $146k is math I don't understand in comparison?

Here are the deet's:

SOLD at $146,000 on 8/26/22 out of Moorpark, CA
    1998 EURO FEDERALIZED 550 ZFFZR49B000112003 and assembly number 29208
    +) 29,774 miles NOTED TMU given carfax discrepancy and one hopes it was handled correctly when federalized
    +) Rosso Corsa over nero
    +) From the posting: delivered new in Germany and subsequently brought to the US, where it was Federalized by Wallace Environmental Testing Labs in 2000
    +) shields; daytonas; quilted parcel shelf, Alpine stereo and amp's in trunk; OEM wheels and exhaust
    +) LOTS of small cosmetics/chips/etc, poor winshield gaskets, poor headlight gaskets, paint chips, battery terminals chewed up, several underhood areas looked rough, mismatched tires
    +) No historical docs shown other than most recent service; NO BOOKS or tools shown? Only 1 key and the red master fob shown?
    +) From the posting: Work performed in June 2022 included rebuilding the water pump and replacing the camshaft belts and tensioner bearings as well as the intake manifold gaskets, accessory belts, and camshaft cover gaskets and seals. Stickies also handled.
    +) 112003
    +) SOLD HISTORICALLY on BaT $110,550 on 1/18/19 at 29.200 miles https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-3/
    +) Today's auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-18/

We beat this one to death during the first few days of the auction and then in the thread I shared at the top.

May the discussion continue......

We also tonight got another "investment grade miles" grigio titanio/nero up next on BaT.....

lfarrar likes this.
  2. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    What makes this car even more nuts is the VERY nice Ti/Nero that sold today for $151 that was presented well and all around a better car it would seem.

3. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Makes no sense to me either. What a deal this one was

4. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Yea I think bad timing with the holiday and the scare in the economy really hurt the seller. Buyer got a deal!!!

5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    What a deal. Wish I was in the market. But even if I were, I would have probably missed it today, which confirms timing probably had something to do with the weak bidding action. I don’t buy the economy aspect. More like buyers sentiment than actual economy. Either way it seems to be affecting some cars but not all. Only thing I noticed that made me look again were the exhaust tips pictures. Something about the color and scrubbing evidence that probably needed to be clarified and perhaps put off other potential bidders from participating. Still a lovely car that was bought at a Labor Day sale price.

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    mrp_e likes this.
  7. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’ve been hammered busy at work and with the girls extra curriculars….I’ve missed the last 3 on BaT but tomorrow it’s going to rain so I’ll be inside and will do a handful of quick write ups….

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Agreed.
    Take the car back to OEM wheels…@root also did that (sold his modulars) and I bought his Fabio mufflers and I paid a strong/high but fair price for both of us and he was very smart on selling the extras and maximizing his aggregate sale. It was effectively textbook perfect how he handled his 550. Plus his timing was amazing.

root likes this.
  11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Agree as well. Selling separately is the smart approach.
    The market does not give meaningful return on any modifications and in several cases, a net negative (I say this with a very highly modified, but easily reversible 575)

root, otoupalik and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    100 percent accurate

It seems like making and disclosing mods on a car under 20k miles would not be wise unless they are easy like mufflers and tires.

My 550 has 33k miles (driver not collector) and tons of MSW and other mods and the typical Ferrari buyer doesn’t want or will pay for that. It so happens that’s exactly what I wanted but definitely not the norm.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    MSW?

Yes its surreal. I just finally finished all the tweaks on my 575 (exhaust/brakes/wheels/minor interior accents) and it drives and feels night and day better than the OEM setup.

I get these are becoming old(er) cars so people want to maintain a feel of authenticity of the car, but we are not talking about putting a DCT in a 250 GTO here.

Many mods can greatly enhance the underlying magic and quirks of these cars without completely changing their character.

Think makeup, not plastic surgery!

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    MSW = Maranello Skunk Works

My 550 has all the MSW evolutionary upgrades plus much more like remote trunk opener, cruise control, etc etc etc lots of cool stuff I wanted….and I’m not ever selling so I’m not worried about resale like a typical collector might.

Auraraptor likes this.
  15. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Is there a link or site for MSW?

16. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
  17. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    I think he just has the wheels

mrp_e likes this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ok guys, I've been busy as a beaver so I'm going to do a "threefer"?

19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Starting with the Grigio Titanio 1999 550 that hammered on 9/2/22.

Here are the deet's:

SOLD at $151,550 on 9/2/22 out of Coeur d'Alene, ID
    1999 550 ZFFZR49A8X0116090 and assembly number 33165
    +) 18,283 miles
    +) Grigio Titanio over nero
    +) Carbon pieces but NOT the carbon package -- parts missing like the shifter nob, door and seat pieces etc; daytonas, Tubi's, gray carpet and carpeted parcel shelf
    +) 2012/13 dated tires on OEM wheels; instrument cluster clear plastic looked like it was broken in the lower horizontal.
    +) It was noted that the battery terminals were kinda chewed up and other light neglect under the hood
    +) last belt service was 2/2019
    +) extensive service records; red ferrari car cover; spare tire
    +) 1,500 miles over the last 10 years
    +) 116090
    +) Auction link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-17/

Thoughts?.....reasonable to low on the sale......

@Aerosurfer @otoupalik

20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The 2nd one I had been lazy on this month was.....a surprising result?......for sure it was unusual.....2000 EURO....BUT Federalized in 2001 with California CARB Cert.

Lots of us here posted up during the auction.

Frankly I found this auction annoying because there was nothing for me to dig into...no real questions/issues. Not a dissimilar 550 from the one sold by @root with this car showing a discount to Root's and perhaps that discount was slightly larger than a perfect Euro should trade at discount?

The one odd thing is the seller hasn't commented on if the high bidder, who made a strange single comment and was new to the platform, if they actually carried out the auction or not and came with the money.....

Here are the deet's:

SOLD at $191,000 on 9/9/22 out of West Hollywood, CA on a Montana title
    2000 550 ZFFZR49B000119552 and assembly number 36642
    +) 15,891miles
    +) Rosso Corsa over nero with contrasting red stitching
    +) Sold by 3pedalstable whom did a great job and had sold @dhalperin13 on of his 575's
    +) Shields, Daytonas, tubi's (OEM mufflers included), quilted roof, quilted parcel shelf, both fobs, all the tools, books, binder. trickle charger, seat/wheel/car cover
    +) From the posting: the lower control arm bushings were replaced in January 2020, together with an alignment and corner balancing.
    +) Last belt service was 2016 -- reported no stickies, was done by "stickies no more"
    +) The undercarriage and underhood looked amazing...overall presentation was very strong.
    +) From the posting: Hate to be a bragger but, I am please to offer probably the cleanest well preserved 550s I have ever seen. Its remained under the same ownership since 2000 until I purchased it earlier this year from a great fellow and BAT member. This awesome example Euro car was imported to California in the late 2000s and federalized with California Bar sticker. A federalized EURO car IMO is the best version, its got all the euro features, lower, lighter, faster, plus the CA documentation that will allow you to register the car in any state like California. It just passed smog. Car has Tubi Style exhausts. I also have the original exhausts that came with the car as well. This car comes with just about everything it came with from the factory. Here are some of the items: 3 keys and 3 key fobs including the red fob, Ferrari car cover, seat cover steering wheel cover and duffle bag. Ferrari canvas cover, Complete tool set, Complete factory books and cases, flashlight, ferrari map light, Radio code it even includes the little key to remove the radio. Ferrari battery charger and case. Ferrari tire inflator with case and dust bag. I also have a binder full of records, detailed documentation of the car, emails regarding the car, all importation documents and more misc info. It was in a collection of 150 cars owned by Dave Robertson and his car handler Matt Ettinger. They have had everything including the Ferrari 250 Breadvan. This is one of the last cars left from the collection after Dave passed away. Who is very well known in the car industry and a Le Mans driver. I dealt with Matt who also has one of the biggest collections of shell oil memorabilia. He is one of the coolest dudes and most knowledgeable person out there when it comes to Ferrari, cars and shell oil. They took extremely well care of the 550 and its preservation. I am sure he will chime in on this car. The car also has 3M PPF on the front bumper, front hood, mirrors and remains all original paint. I also attached a google drive link of the photos of the car for some reason I feel like the quality of the photos decrease when uploading to BAT. Here is the link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DWwdAf_7rrKhOrCDE2kQbBdNMSnu2DNB?usp=sharing

+) 119552
    +) Auction link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-550-maranello-23/

Thoughts?.....strong result (?) but really hard to have negatives on this one......

21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The third BaT auction this month I had skipped had a decidedly different result. This one had some questions and @root had posed some good commentary.

RNM at $140,000 on 9/16/22 out of Southhampton, NY on a PA title
    EURO 2000 550 ZFFZR49B000117413 and assembly number 34746
    +) 18,960 miles
    +) Rosso Corsa over nero (standard seats - typical bolster wear)
    +) shields, black carpet parcel shelf,
    +) Belts and oil change December 2021
    +) mileage inconsistency on the carfax; airbag leather looked a little "bubbly"
    +) almost no documentation, I saw nothing regarding documentation on the federalization of the car, allegedly stickies not an issue
    +) Auction commentary noted it has been for sale on a dealer website for $190k
    +) 117413
    +) Auction link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-550-maranello-20/

Not a great auction presentation; the engine compartment looked fine, the undercarriage was not cleaned.

Felt like a car that was flipped and not documented and a euro perhaps that $140k was all the money? Several commenters voiced the same.....

22. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    The 1999 Grigio Titano was a sweet deal that is going to be hard to beat. Wish I was in a position to bid on it. When F355s with 40k+ miles and overdue service are selling for $200k+ the 550s gotta be the best Ferrari value out there.

otoupalik and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  23. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    @Ferrari55whoa

Glad to be noticed on my input! Ill admit the 550/575 cars are just amazing, but still somewhat out of reach, so I enjoy watching them trade, but dont pour over them as much as others.

That being said (and of other models/brands) I think a lot of people have 2021 and early 2022 economics on the brain and are unrealistic or inflexible on what the market is becoming (at the moment). Old threads (decade or more) have a Z8 vs Maranello investment arguement, and while the Z8 has more recently seemed to trade higher, those have pulled back as well

I love BaT, but the comments IMO also skew buyers into thinking perfection or bust. Let alone straight up misinformation, or inflated costs. the reality is no matter how nice its still a used car.

The truly pristine cars, or collectors certain affors to wait, but even then.. how motivated is someone to move it

I definately follow the 456 auctions with more vigor and those have definately plateaued in the sales curve.

@yudkib gave a good perspective on the Rosso Corsa one a few weeks ago that hammered for 93k.... take the money now, what's the sellers market going to be in 6 months.

I would say reguarding the 456 market, that less pristine cars and especially GTAs seem to have risen a bit over their historical values, more so than the nicer cars. Both on RNM and sales, I think I would say the same for the Maranellos too

otoupalik likes this.
  24. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Just re-read your three reviews a little closer..

Actually I think it also proves, at least especially on the BaT platform, that preparation pays off. A clean car, excellent photos, and knowing how to play the BaT game as a seller, pays dividens. A truly good car will sell itself, but a forthcoming and engaging seller can drive the price higher

otoupalik and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  25. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    I agree with you and think that this one sold low due to the economy (people tell me I am wrong, but I am sticking to it!) lol The car looked better than the other ones that sold or bid to this level IMHO